Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Ferrer Model

4K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  FlameOn 
#1 ·
David Ferrer seems to divide opinion a lot these days. Since he's solidified himself as a top ten player, and made the number five ranking his own, general tennis fans have become more accustomed to seeing him on the stadium court at the crucial stages of the biggest tournaments around the world. He seems to be loved by a few, and respected by many for his hard work and dedication to tennis. On the other hand an increasing number of people are growing impatient at his lack of threat in the important matches against players ranked higher than him, and his style which is relentlessly intense and effective, if a bit repetitive.

So my question for you all is, why don't other top pros take a leaf out of Ferrer's book and work harder on fitness, put more hours in on the practice court, and finally discover a more balanced mentality?

Let me take you back a number of years. Ferrer had a brief spell in the top ten, when he reached the US Open semi-finals in 2007 and the Year-End Championship final as well. He was still a bit of a hothead back then, often getting very angry at himself when things weren't going his way. Unsurprisingly, Ferrer's level of play dropped a lot after a spell of success, and his ranking dipped so much that for periods in 2009, it looked as of he might drop out of the top twenty for good. The best was still to come from Ferrer, though.

In 2010, Ferrer's fortunes turned around for good. He started to perform well at the majority of tournaments he played in, displaying a more determined attitude. Since then, with remarkable consistency, he's remained a top ten player, and I'm sure most Ferrer supporters will agree with me when I say that it has been more due to his physical and mental strengths, rather than any improved technical aspects of his game.

He is living proof that a modestly talented player can achieve a lot with structure, organisation and a hell of a lot of work.

So why don't players like Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga at least take a leaf out of Ferrer's book? The trio aforementioned would far outclass Ferrer if they were a little more tactically astute, well disciplined & bold.

So is it a matter of laziness, lack of motivation to dedicate more than they do to tennis or something else?

See less See more
This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#2 ·
I think ball bashers are more mentally fragile than the defensive-grinding type of player overall. It would be great if these immensely talented players like Berdych and Tsonga actually disciplined their shotmaking a bit more, and choked less. Would benefit tennis immensely and would see Ferrer out of the top 5 (but within top 10 where he rightfully belongs).

#3 ·
nothing new.

#4 ·
Can't deny that he has improved his tennis game though, very ungifted player who has had to work hard on improving and keeping his level.

#6 ·
(...)
He is living proof that a modestly talented player can achieve a lot with structure, organisation and a hell of a lot of work.

So why don't players like Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga at least take a leaf out of Ferrer's book? The trio aforementioned would far outclass Ferrer if they were a little more tactically astute, well disciplined & bold.

So is it a matter of laziness, lack of motivation to dedicate more than they do to tennis or something else?
Say Tsonga, Berdych and Delpo were to work as hard during training as Ferrer and they learned to be as organised, would that increase their tactical astuteness, boldness and discipline as you state in the next paragraph? I am not sure that is the case. It would help them of course if they had more stamina and better discipline, things one might learn by training relentlessly. Heck, by having more stamina they would not have the need to play as many low percentage shots as they do now, enabling them to choose their moments better. Still, tactical awareness and boldness, not to mention the respective deficits each of their games has can only be remedied if they are helped by the right coaching. Why, Tsonga has shown in these two weeks that a short time with Rasheed has gone some way in ameliorating his BH.

In summation: it´s not just the motivation they need to make that transition, but good structural guidance as well.

#8 ·
uhhh the reason is that their games are higher risk, Ferrer is a pure defender who is content (and frankly only can) defend defend defend and hope that his opponent hits errors. against lesser opponents sometimes David plays more aggressively and hones in on winners but the fact is that everyone else in the top 10 has weapons so he just reflects the ball over and over. he actually reminds me of what Novak Djokovic would be if he had no weapons, because Ferrer is an amazing defender but unfortunately he has NO kill shots

I'd rather the other players up there like Tsonga/Berdych etc play risky tennis than try to play a conservative game like Ferrer BUT even if they wanted to it would be to no avail because they aren't as fast/good at defending

Ferrer's game works for him because he's one of the best movers on tour but as we saw last night, he fails when he plays an opponent who moves similarly well + has weapons

#10 ·
uhhh the reason is that their games are higher risk, Ferrer is a pure defender who is content (and frankly only can) defend defend defend and hope that his opponent hits errors. against lesser opponents sometimes David plays more aggressively and hones in on winners but the fact is that everyone else in the top 10 has weapons so he just reflects the ball over and over. he actually reminds me of what Novak Djokovic would be if he had no weapons, because Ferrer is an amazing defender but unfortunately he has NO kill shots

I'd rather the other players up there like Tsonga/Berdych etc play risky tennis than try to play a conservative game like Ferrer BUT even if they wanted to it would be to no avail because they aren't as fast/good at defending

Ferrer's game works for him because he's one of the best movers on tour but as we saw last night, he fails when he plays an opponent who moves similarly well + has weapons
well, Djokovic is a good example of a top player who improved his fitness and mental concentration. I don't consider Djokovic a pure defender with no weapons, but he benefited greatly by making his defense rock-solid and taking the "running out of gas" problem out of the equation.

#11 ·
Ferrer is a pure percentage tennis player. He doesn't defend exclusively, but he only attacks when he has a high percentage chance of it coming off. As a result he pretty much always beats the players he should beat - but by the same token his lack of imagination and predictability means he has zero chance of beating players significantly better than he is.

Guys like Tsonga and Berdych could learn a lot from Ferrer when it comes to being less streaky. But equally, Ferrer could learn a lot from Tsonga and Berdych when it comes to playing guys significantly better than you. In those matches you have to take risks, go for the low percentage shots, back yourself to play a game that shouldn't work and maybe sometimes it does.

I think someone like Djokovic is a pretty good mix of the two. I mean sure, he's a lot more talented than Ferrer, but his default game is very Ferrer-like. But unlike Ferrer, he also has the confidence to go for the big shots. He plays safe when it is smart, but he also sees where the safe option is not going to work - and he has to the audacity to risk the low percentage play and live or die by the sword.

Sometimes you've just got to put it all on black, spin the wheel and hope for the best.

#12 ·
Ferrer got better at not choking to lower players, but even worse when he played top players between his first time at #4 and his second. Unfortunately, he also seems to have gotten better at choking to top players (He has played Murray three times in a Slam in the last 2 seasons. Once, he won. The other two times he missed set points for 2 sets to love and lost in 4)

Ferrer isn't a great #5, but he deserves it more than Tsonga (Who NEVER beats other top 10 players in the past year), Berdych (Worse record against 2 of the top 4 and many more early losses) and del Potro (Just lost to Chardy in a Slam ffs, hasn't made SF in Slam in the last year)

#14 ·
I think Murray shouldn't be included, Ferrer can take on Murray without feeling he is an underling.

It's funny that he is still improving despite his age, he takes his chance, when he sees a short ball he hits it, he also comes into the net more than most players, though he tends to decrease it as the match goes by. People like players taking a swing at a low percentage shot and think that is tennis. Sorry but part of tennis is thinking.

#16 · (Edited)
David Ferrer seems to divide opinion a lot these days. Since he's solidified himself as a top ten player, and made the number five ranking his own, general tennis fans have become more accustomed to seeing him on the stadium court at the crucial stages of the biggest tournaments around the world. He seems to be loved by a few, and respected by many for his hard work and dedication to tennis. On the other hand an increasing number of people are growing impatient at his lack of threat in the important matches against players ranked higher than him, and his style which is relentlessly intense and effective, if a bit repetitive.

So my question for you all is, why don't other top pros take a leaf out of Ferrer's book and work harder on fitness, put more hours in on the practice court, and finally discover a more balanced mentality?
that you have a hugely caricatural vision of Ferrer comparing to other players doesn't make it true :shrug:

Besides, if you mean that Ferrer moves greater than most players on Tour, it's not only because he works very hard but also because of his body constitution and "talent" for that.

Never will Almagro, Wawrinka or Berdych move like Ferrer (I mentioned Almagro and Wawrinka because it's not only a matter of being short or tall), however hard they work, that's also a talent.

But it's far from being the only talent or ability that this guy has, comparing to the caricatural vision guys like you have from him.

Just watch his matches against Nadal in Barcelona last year, or against Del Po in Wimbledon, or against Berdych in Davis cup ... with an opened look, and maybe you will understand that this guy also knows how to play great tennis and position the ball in bad places for the opponent for multiple balls in a row, he has less power than others but it's not only that he moves great, even though it's also true and should also be considered as a tennis talent, especially in modern times.

Ferrer has benefitted from slower court conditions, that's true, but apart from that, just so many players are unable to just see what he does great, probably because they can't see that tennis is not only made of one shot but of several ones after the other :shrug: The "tennis boom-boom" is just only one version of tennis, probably the easiest to understand but not the original or purest one.

In his young time, Ferrer had a very low self-confidence, I remember reading other players (seems they know something about tennis comparing to great MTF experts :rolleyes: ) saying that he could play great but just didn't know it. Not only did he work hard but also he just realized his real abilities.

#17 ·
that you have a hugely caricatural vision of Ferrer comparing to other players doesn't make it true :shrug:
I don't think so. I'm sure he himself will admit that he works very hard, but the evidence is clear that he's not a big threat to the top four. The recent semi-final shows this, while Berdych and Wawrinka were able to challenge Djokovic more closely. Please don't interpret this as me saying that Berdych and Wawrinka are better players than Ferrer, that's not the case. What I am saying is that they are more threatening, more likely to cause an upset because they can hit through the top four more easily.

Besides, if you mean that Ferrer moves greater than most players on Tour, it's not only because he works very hard but also because of his body constitution and "talent" for that.
Yes, that's true, but on the flip side, Tsonga, Berdych et al have bodies that have 'talent' for big serves. I think if every player works as hard as they can, they will benefit from the skillset that their body is geared towards, so for Ferrer it's movement and agility. Whereas with Berdych and Tsonga, it's strength and power.

Having said that, I still think the more lazy guys can improve their movement a lot, if they were more dedicated. They can't just discount it because they're tall.

Never will Almagro, Wawrinka or Berdych move like Ferrer (I mentioned Almagro and Wawrinka because it's not only a matter of being short or tall), however hard they work, that's also a talent.
But they can still take a leaf out of his book and work a bit harder, scedule a bit smarter and know when to pull the trigger or not during a match.

But it's far from being the only talent or ability that this guy has, comparing to the caricatural vision guys like you have from him.
Obviously…

You have to be joking with me if you think I would maintain an opinion hat somebody would get to number four in the world just on hard work and superior movement? Look, Bjorn Phau is a better mover than Ferrer, but I'll openly admit that he doesn't have the ball striking talent that Ferrer has. Yes, Ferrer is a good ball striker, but not the fourth best in the world. It's not his main talent, that's the point. Tennis is more than just about technical talent, though. Ferrer is definitely top five in the world these days mentally and physically. One could also argue that tactically he is extremely astute. These more than account for his obvious technical deficiencies which revolve around a lack of power.

Just watch his matches against Nadal in Barcelona last year, or against Del Po in Wimbledon, or against Berdych in Davis cup ... with an opened look, and maybe you will understand that this guy also knows how to play great tennis and position the ball in bad places for the opponent for multiple balls in a row, he has less power than others but it's not only that he moves great, even though it's also true and should also be considered as a tennis talent, especially in modern times.
I don't deny that. I'm not a fool who would argue with the fact that he's a very good and intelligent tennis player. Nobody gets to the top five unless they have a mastery over most aspects of the modern game. Ferrer is no exception.

Ferrer has benefitted from slower court conditions, that's true, but apart from that, just so many players are unable to just see what he does great, probably because they can't see that tennis is not only made of one shot but of several ones after the other :shrug: The "tennis boom-boom" is just only one version of tennis, probably the easiest to understand but not the original or purest one.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you're interpreting my article as having a dig at Ferrer? That's totally not the case, of anything, I appreciate what he's done, because if he had the mentality of most of the other players out there, he'd be a perennial 'floater'.

In his young time, Ferrer had a very low self-confidence, I remember reading other players (seems they know something about tennis comparing to great MTF experts :rolleyes: ) saying that he could play great but just didn't know it. Not only did he work hard but also he just realized his real abilities.
Yes, as I said, one can't reach number four in the world without general talent.

#20 ·
because there are very very very few players on tour with Ferrer like work ethic and determination, talent level aside. Ferrer relishes long matches and pain and long rallies, he's a freak of nature physically and mentally, just can't beat the other top 3/4.

#35 ·
This. Gulbis is a much better player than Ferrer anyway, tennis would win if he was bumped to #4 seed in the next tournaments. Here are a few lessons of how to play against Federer in general and Djokovic at Slams:

Shame there's no highlights of the 2008 Gulbis vs Djokovic Roland Garros QF on Youtube, but still that's what a match late in Slams is supposed to look like.

#34 ·
I'd venture to say the (real) Top 4 have some worries when facing the likes of Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga however when they know they're playing Ferrer, they're pretty happy. I'd take the small chance that the aforementioned three have of playing 'lights out' tennis than Ferrer's 'roll over and lose' style to the Top 4 (during big tournaments). Whomever has Ferrer in their quarter during majors has the easier draw.

#36 ·

I got this Djokovic match for you :bowdown:

#37 ·
Big deal, Gulbis has also defeat Nole off Slams as well, and in straight sets. He also played one of the best matches of RG 2008 against Nole in the quarterfinals, while in five Slams meetings with Nole only once has Ferrer left the court without getting a bagel or a breadstick and he lost said match 6-4 6-4 6-3.

There's no doubt Gulbis would provide far more adequate competition to Federer and/or Nole in the late stages of big events than Ferrer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.