Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rhyne Williams

138K views 1K replies 31 participants last post by  kidbourbon 
#1 ·
Has anyone here seen Rhyne play? He's only 16 (born on 3-22-1991) and the 10th ranked junior player in the world.

More impressive than that however, is that Rhyne is in the final of USA F16 Futures this week. :eek:

Hope to see Rhyne continue to get solid results on the pro tour.

#211 ·

Even if with Andy Roddick's retirement the last main force of American tennis faded, the U.S. people are lucky to have a few young players, who can make their names known on tour very soon. Let's start with USTA Australian Open WC winner, Rhyne Williams.

Born: 22.03.1991, Knoxville, Tennessee
Residence: Boca Raton, FL
Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
Plays: Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
Turned Pro: 2011
Coach: Christopher Williams
Current Ranking: 190 (CH)

Rhyne Williams hails from a tennis family. He's the grandson of Mike DePalmer Sr., a legendary coach at UT (University of Tennessee, from 1981-94 and is a member of the ITA Hall of Fame) and co-founder of the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy. The academy was created to train little Michelle DePalmer-Williams (Rhyne's mother). Michelle is a former pro and Orange Bowl 16s Champion (also played at UT). Rhyne's father, Bob, played at Duke University. Finally, he's the nephew of Mike DePalmer Jr., former ATP player (Top 35 in singles, Top 20 in doubles) who coached Boris Becker from 1994- 1999, played college tennis at UT.

He was coached by his grandfather, but he went on to train under the USTA Player's Development Program after winning the Orange Bowl 14s. Rhyne obtained a successful junior career with career high #8 ITF and won USA F16 in Pittsburgh in 2007 at the age of 16 years and 4 months, which made him the youngest U.S. male to win a Pro Circuit event in the United States (however, stats for this are held since 1998)......read more

#218 ·
yes, absolutely winnable but another lose

horrible result

He better break into top 100 before USOPEN

#222 ·
On The Rise: Rhyne Williams

http://wilsontennis.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/rhyne_williams/

Wilson Next Gen player, Rhyne Williams, has stretched his success from Tennessee Volunteer to pro player on the rise. And by rise we mean RISE. Williams proved himself as a junior, winning three singles futures, but since turning pro this young player has shot up over 300 spots on the ATP rankings…and that’s just in the past year. No coincidence there, folks. That kind of tennis play takes serious training and dedication; the kind of dedication that secured him a spot in the main draw of the 2012 US Open & garnered a wild card playoff win for the Australian Open. We got a chance to catch up with Williams before he boarded the flight to Oz and he was nice enough to fill us in on his strategy going into the second Slam of his career. Read on!

Wilson: Rhyne, congrats on winning the Australian Open wildcard playoffs. This makes the second major in a row for you…any differences in strategy between the US Open & Oz?

Rhyne Williams: Thank you. I have made a few improvements in my game during the preseason training such as moving forward to close out points, taking my backhand early, and serving bigger second serves. I would like to Implement those things down here in Australia.

W: What aspects of playing (or visiting) Australia are you most looking forward to?

RW: I am looking forward to seeing a new culture and meeting new people. I also really want to visit a local zoo if I have time. As for the playing aspect, just being in the main draw of a slam will be incredible. I would like to try and get some wins before heading to Melbourne.

W: On the long flight to Oz, what will you do to kill the boredom? Do you watch movies, sleep, read, etc?

RW: I probably won’t be able to sleep too long. My legs and neck usually start hurting after 6 hours then I turn to Tv and movies. I downloaded season 3 of my show Justified and also season 10 of Family Guy. Maybe there will be someone seated next to me who is halfway interesting.

W: You’ve really blazed up the rankings in the past year. Is there anything specific you would attribute that to?

RW: I would attribute a lot to my fitness level which has increased probably 30 percent. I still have a lot of work to do but I am getting there. Also I am happy traveling with my cousin/coach Christopher Williams. He has helped me a bunch with my mental game.

W: What are your professional goals for 2013?

RW: In 2013 I just want to give myself opportunities to make the Grand Slam main draws. Either by qualifying or making main draw off of ranking. An amazing year would be finishing near the top 100. That’s a hefty goal.

W: What about personal? Any New Years Resolutions?

RW: Hmm… I have not made any New Years resolutions but I guess it’s not too late. How about I limit myself to pizza once a month. That’s going to hurt.

#226 ·
Rhyne seems quite popular with the American tennis journalists/bloggers on twitter, especially the ladies. They always seem to root for him, even against other Americans, despite his bad temper.

Wonder if he is dating Maria Sanchez or if they are just close friends. Rather have him dating her than Julia Glushko or Olivia Rogowska (who had confessed to stalking him last year :unsure:).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.