Mens Tennis Forums banner

Europe/Africa Group I 2nd round: Portugal at Israel (April 6-8, 2012)

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  guyha4 
#1 ·
Davis cup group 1 second round:
Israel vs. Portugal

The israeli team:
Dudi Sela (62)
Amir Weintraub (199)
Jonathan Erlich (47, doubles)
Andy Ram (48, doubles)
Eyal Ran (captain)

The Portugues team:
Rui Machado (101)
Fredrico Gil (84)
Joao Souza (171)
Gastao Elias (215)
Pedro Cordeiro (captain)

Record:
3-0 Israel

Start times:
6 April: 1030 hrs (0730 hrs GMT)
7 April: 1500 hrs (1200 hrs GMT)
8 April: 1400 hrs (1100 hrs GMT)

Hard court (Acrylic), outdoors

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Europe/Africa group 1: Portugal at Israel (6-8 Apri,2012)

So, whose #2 singles for Portugal? Machado has been hurt and been bad. Sousa and Elias are decent HC players. I'd pick probably Elias over Machado.

It's going to come down to whether or not Fred beats Weintraub on day one. If he doesn't, probably 0-3 Portugal, game over. If he does, then Sela vs Gil will be huge.

#3 ·

To the OOP, it's Sousa. Souza it's the Brazilian one.

I will give a very small advantadge to Israel because of surface and home factor. But Portugal got the better team. Only problem it's doubles, where we don't have a chance. Leo Tavares, our best doubles players is not here, so it's even harder.

Gil can beat Sela and he's favourite against Weinturb. I agree with you flyboy. Machado came from a wirst injury. It's a very sensitive place to be hurt, for a tennis player. But between Elias and João it's very hard. Both are very decent HC players, but both are making a bad season. Specially Gastão, who is dissapointing me very badly. But Gastão is more DC experienced, so maybe I would put him, at least on friday.

VAMOS PORTUGAL!

#5 ·

I know the israeli tv will cover this tie so probably will be a link..

Yesterday I was in the stadium and saw Gil playing against Machado..Machado seems to be better on this court, Gil didnt found his rythem..
I think both will play at the first day, Sela should win his match and Weintraub can upset (as he did to Raonic last time here), but to be realistic it should be 1-1
The second day is out must win match and Andy and Jonathan should take it easily in fron of the home crowd..

BTW, where did you see the OOP?

#6 ·

It's two teams with not very large choices. Especially for Israel. For me, MAchado and Gil must play singles and doubles to have chance. And i would have picked Tavares in the team in reserve for doubles instead of Elias. Sousa is better choice for singles

#7 ·

someone knows when the OOP will be released?? (who plays and who's first)

#8 ·
The draw is on Thursday, 13:30 Israeli time (12:30 CET).

#9 ·
rubber 1:Sela vs. Gil
rubber 2:Weintraub vs. Machado
rubber 3:Ram/Erlich vs. Elias/Sousa
rubber 4:Sela vs. Machado
rubber 5:Weintraub vs. Gil

I think this order is great for israel.. if sela wins the first match, Machado will be in a lot of pressure

#10 ·
I Think who wins the first match, will be HUGE favourite to win the tie.

About the choice of Gastão and João for doubles, i think Pedro Cordeiro was like "ok, we don't have any chance in doubles match, so let's just give them the win, to have a strong and rested Rui and Frederico for the final and decisive day"...

#12 ·
Its means nothing when he playes on hard courts and have to experienced doubles partner..
Erlich and Ram have won Grand Slam on hard courts, 2 masters tournaments together(Ram won one with mirny) and lots of 500 and 250 tornaments..

#14 ·
#18 · (Edited)
The israeli players didnt have a great day but they both did enough to win..
I can't see the israeli team lose this tie.. The portugues won just once from 0-2 against Algeria (2005)

BTW, happy passover!

#19 ·
Game over for Portugal..
Andy Ram and Jonathan Erlich played nice and solid match wining 6-4 6-4 6-3

#20 ·
#22 ·
The first match was weird.. Ram (doubles player) was leading 5-2 but then disapeared and lost 11 games in a row
Weintraub and Gil produce pretty good match, with both close to win it, Gil was better in the tie braker but amir show why he should be top 100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.