Mens Tennis Forums banner

Food thread

37K views 468 replies 61 participants last post by  eliananova 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't know why but I guess after speaking about food so much today, I thought I'd like to open a thread regarding food.

Here you guys can feel free to post pics of cracking dishes (that you've searched up or made yourself), and/or post a recipe of your signature dish/es. Can also post thing food related such as anything from cooking shows, experiences, nutritional values of certain ingredients, and even some cooking tips :angel:. Feel free to bring up general discussion about food or food-related stuff as well.

I'll start off with this son of a bitch:

Barbecued Chilli Snapper

See less See more
#241 ·
pretty good stuff warrior princess.

i have been looking at some fancy salads. we will talk about them next time. i have some ideas.

i have ignored the salad area for the longest. it may be time to check out the possiblities of a ultra healthy, premium top shelf salad made to our own specifications.

i will get the ball rolling after i get back from my road trip tomorrow.

i will do the first experiment in my own kitchen when i get back. stay tuned.

my salad ideas will blow you away.

#243 ·
good deal. make sure to post an image here when you do it next time.

i am already thinking of some killer ingredients for my invention---the immortal salad of the gods.

stay tuned. we may be able to patent this stuff if we work together on this. the western world wants killer salads.

its the new wave.

#245 ·
some of the 20-25 killer ingredients our salad will contain is as follows:

1. almonds
2. apples
3. raisins
4. strawberries
5. greens
6. seaweed
7. fresh carrots
8. fresh broccoli
9. red onion---has anti cancer properties

10. champagne vinegar
11. frech lemon juice
12. olive oil
13. red seedless grapes

and this is just the beginnning. we have to think exactly the right kind of meat for this salad. let me know if you think bacon strips will work. you may want some chopped chicken breast. whatever you decide will work good.

this will be the mother of all salads. nobody will be able to tear away from this salad once they dive into it.

the small emphasis on complex carbs will make it a great treat for kids and adults alike.

everybody eats healthy. just one of these salads a day will keep the doctor away.

#260 ·
What's wrong with bacon? Too "un-gourmet" for you Spaniards? Only for "poor" people? :lol:.

But as long as the bacon is crispy and adds a nice contrast to the salad, then it's a seal of approval for me.

#250 ·
I think the salad should be high in all kinds of vegetables (except for maybe arugula which is not everyone's cup of tea), a few dried seeds (depending on the kind of vinaigrette used, you can use saltier ones like peanuts for sweet dressings and sweeter ones like raisins or almonds for strong dressings), a good lean meat (preferibly turkey or salmon)

The dressing should be as simple as possible, don't use those mayo based ones (or bacon or stuff like that), make your own with vinegar, lemon, pepper, etc. If you want a sweet one, make it from scratch by caramelizing the fruit with not only sugar but also vinegar, olive oil, pepper, etc.

An example of an ideal salad under my concept:

Lettuce
Cherry Tomato
Onion
Cucumber
Cabbage
Celery
Spinach
Carrot
Peanuts
Herb croutons
Grilled Salmon pieces
Green Mango chunks
Strawberry chunks
Sweet Mango vinaigrette

#251 ·
i love the idea of grilled salmon and mango being incorporated into the salad. strawberry chunks sound great as well.

heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids and complex carbs. i understand peanuts have some resveratrol in them. another agent that is loaded with antioxidants. and you get some plant based protein as well.

so sooner or later we are going to find exactly the right combination after some experimentation in the kitchen.

a heart healthy salad that is replete with the right type of protein, antioxidants, complex carbs, anti cancer properties, and anti aging properties.

what can be better than that for a salad? this is going to be the mother of all salads once we finish with it.

#252 ·
Resveratrol is most commonly talked about in relationship to Red Wine. Researchers first identified that despite a diet filled with carbohydrates, high fat content, and large portions, the French lived longer on avergae then those from other countries. Researchers coined this phenomenon as "The French Paradox," associating the longer life with the amount of red wine consumed by the French. After further research resveratrol was recognized as the cause of the "extended" lifespan.

While red wine is the most popular "known" source of resveratrol in our diets, it is not the primary source for resveratrol supplements. Resveratrol supplements are most commonly made from the Japanes Knotweed, also known as "Polygonum Cupsidatum." Japanese Knotweed is a very hardy weed known to grow in many areas of the world. It is difficult to kill and often over takes many landscapes. It's high resveratrol content makes it an ideal source to create high quality supplements.

If you would like to get more resveratrol from your diet try including peanuts, cranberries, and red grapes to your daily food intake.

#253 ·
You can add as many ingredients as you want CD, but you have to be careful about the flavor balance, if you add too many things with too different flavors it might not make a balanced dish and even if the ingredients are top notch, the dish will end up tasting bad.

Pineapple, Onion and turkey sound great for a salad but if you mix the ingredients just like that, it will not taste good, you need to balance the sweetness of the fruit, the strong flavor of the vegetable and still make the meat noticeable (it is practically tasteless compared to the other two ingredients), there's where dressings and other "neutral" vegetables come and make a great salad :)

#254 ·
Yeah. I always believe in "less is more". Otherwise you can over-complicate the flavour combinations which will mean the end result won't taste pleasing.

For instance, if you have a full-flavoured dressing, try to minimize the variety of ingredients you put into the salad other wise that one or two "extra" ingredients will throw off the flavour balance. For sure that can be rectified, but again, it's just more complication, more work, and you're wasting more time. That's why "less is more" in most circumstances.

Another good tip that people tend to overlook is to actually do research on the ingredients you use, regarding their flavour as well as texture. Then you're more better off when you're creating a dish.

#255 ·
The two best salads I ever had:

The "1905" salad at the Columbia Restaurant at Sarasota, FL. The ingredients are not that unique but something about the way they put it together was just right and totally addictive. I assume it's still the same though it's been about 20 years since I was there.

Green Mango salad at a Thai restaurant called Rex Saigon, which was in my neighbourhood but closed a few years ago :sad:. I've been to many Thai restaurants around Toronto, and tried many mango salads, but no one else has ever gotten it quite right like those guys. One time, I asked them what was in the dressing and they just laughed at me. They weren't giving up that info.

#256 ·
IMO fruit should never be combined with vegetables in a salad. Sweetness is something that belongs in dessert, thus I abhor the thought of mango in a main meal salad, pineapple on pizza and on burger etc

#258 ·
yes, disappointingly conventional thinking from you, General TSD. "Fruit" and "Vegetable" are just conventions. Many would say that a tomato is really a fruit (scientifically it is), while the avocado is used like a vegetable in Mexican cuisine. Many list mushrooms as vegetables, though they aren't even plants. These classifications limit us needlessly. Open your mind.

Also, the point of green mango salad is that the mango is unripe; it's not as sweet as the one you'd buy to eat on it's own as a dessert.

#261 ·
I am not a big fan of bacon, I prefer iberian ham or york ham but it is not that bad.

I just think that the point of a salad is to have a healthy meal so it is better to use lean meat :p

#262 ·
Because "rich, prestigious" ham > "poor, fat people" ham :shrug: :p

Plus, the fat is rendered down when it's crispy. All it would do to a salad is add a smoky flavour. Even if there is fat on rendered-down crispy bacon, I assure you, it's not much.

#266 ·
howdy food people?

i see topspindoc's point.....he said sweetness belongs in the deserts and i think he is right.....i dislike carrot curry, to me carrots are for just having them as it is and maybe in milkshakes......

different tastes for different folks......but again i like a little pine apple stuff on a desi spicy roti or even on a pizza......so it depends......

there are countless sweet-spice varieties under 'khatta-meetha' in india......

#269 ·
I agree in some cases with the Doc here. Some typical school dishes here in Finland are chicken sauce with pineapple or orange slices in there and I don't really like it. Don't like pineapple in anything to be honest, one of the few flavors/ingredients that I dislike. On the other hand, in some cases combining sweet and salty/sour is great.

#270 ·
not everybody likes salads anyway. i never bothered with them until recently.

i want to look at a salad as a means of energy replenishing snack that can 2 things:

some carbo loading before the workout and a part of the carbo resynthesis process after a workout.

this will eliminate the need for those energy bars and also it will be a lot healthier.

and it will save money.

#277 ·
how can anybody eat onion ice cream? stupid clowns entering tv shows and showcasing their madness.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.