Mens Tennis Forums banner

Whic streak is the most impressive?

+ 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive?

26K views 169 replies 81 participants last post by  Schumacher 
#1 · (Edited)
Five players in the Open era were unbeaten through at least 40 consecutive matches which is impressive without any doubts, especially considering that D'Joke who looks unbeatable has just overcome "only" 20.

==============================

What's above was written on March 27, today is June 3, and I've added Djokovic to the opening post :)

Here are the 6 best streaks:

1978: 49 - Bjorn Borg (43 tournament wins + 6 Davis Cup rubbers)

Won 6 titles during the streak, including 2 majors

Surfaces: (22 clay, 12 carpet, 8 hard, 7 grass)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 26

- Borg gave two walkovers during the streak, after wins No. 13 & 14
- he had also a 48-match winning streak in years 1979-80, but the streak included 3 invitational tournaments, however, recognized by ATP as his official titles; during that streak gave one walkover, after win No. 7

1977: 46 - Guillermo Vilas (44 + 2)

7 titles, including 1 major

Surfaces: (46 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 9

1981-82: 44 - Ivan Lendl (44 + 0)

8 titles, including 'Masters'

Surfaces: (21 hard, 19 clay, 4 carpet)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 2

2010-11: 43 - Novak Djokovic (41 + 2)

7 titles, including 1 major

Surfaces: (26 hard, 17 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 13

1984: 42 - John McEnroe (40 + 2)

8 titles, including 'Masters'

Surfaces: (27 carpet, 15 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 8

2006-07: 41 - Roger Federer (39 + 2)

6 titles, including 2 majors

Surfaces: (36 hard, 5 carpet)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 19

:wavey:

See less See more
#6 ·
Did you need to make three threads about more or less the same subject?

Nonsense.

I've made 354 threads on this forum, you 3... With such a discrepancy it's easy to make 3 threads with 100 % of variety. I've made dozens of different threads here.

#12 ·
Vilas has a "real" 74 match winning streak because he lost his streak against a cheat string from Nastase.
Had 46 wins, then lost 16 57 ret to Nastase, then 28 more wins.

He retired because Nastase cheated that match with a double string which was suspended right after this incident. So of course this streak is without a doubt the most impressive.

#14 ·
Vilas' record is impressive due to sheer numbers, but such a majority were on clay, that I can't give him the best.

Borg was sick, although giving 2 walkovers definitely weakens his claim.

Lendl's was incredible, good distribution of hard and clay, though he only play 2 best of 5 matches and did not accrue a slam during his win streak.

Johnny Mac also did not accrue a slam, but had a nice surface distribution of carpet and clay, and won 8 best of 5's.

Federer's was awe-inspiring mostly because he won the AO w/o dropping a set in 2007 over the course of his streak, and played the most best of 5's.

So, in my opinion, in order:

1. Federer
2. Vilas
3. Borg
4. Lendl
5. Mcenroe

#17 ·
Borg's two walkovers were to Gerulaitis and Nastase, tough matches in perspective in semi and quarterfinals : I once noticed that Borg was quite used to walkovers, do people know what reason Borg gave for these recurring walkovers ?

Was he the ancester of Rafa "I lose only when I'm injured" Nadal ?

About Vilas, yes the fact that he lost that streak because of the "spaghetti racket" has to be taken into consideration.

But Vilas's streak only was on clay, mostly small tournaments, and he never had to meet Borg.

However I voted McEnroe because there was a variety of surfaces, 15 wins for McEnroe on clay (including to LEndl and some other good players) was majestic, and because that 1984 year was so impressive in other ways that I will always vote for it :lol:

and he was two sets to love in that final against Lendl :rolleyes:

#18 ·
However I voted McEnroe because there was a variety of surfaces, 15 wins for McEnroe on clay (including to LEndl and some other good players) was majestic, and because that 1984 year was so impressive in other ways that I will always vote for it :lol:

and he was two sets to love in that final against Lendl :rolleyes:
Mac won 20 straight matches after that brutal loss, so he was 62-1 at one stage

Vilas 74-1
Lendl 70-1
Borg 52-1
Federer 43-1

#20 ·
All of Vilas' wins were on clay, therefore he doesn't win.
Borg had 2 walkovers....doesn't win.
Federer has too little wins and McEnroe is 2 behind Lendl, who stopped his streak, so they don't win.
Lendl's wins...carpet, hard & clay....can't beat that.

#24 ·
Here's my most rational answer.

Lendl and Vilas didn't have to meet the best players of their time.

Only Borg, McEnroe and Federer were the best players of their time during these streaks.

Borg's streak doesn't fit to me because of the walkovers.

then stay Mac and Federer : my choice goes to Mac for variety of surfaces and the 62-1 ;)

#25 ·
I haven't voted yet but my thoughts go into this direction ->

Borg's unbeaten streak is astonishing, considering 2 majors and wins on all surfaces, but... two walkovers, you never know... I mean when he (a bit unfit) had been supposed to play for example against Deblicker and Zednik instead of Nastase and Gerulaitis, he would have played. It's a smell of cowardice in his case.

Vilas' streak would have been longer if Nastase hadn't used strings which were forbidden afterwards, but the Argentinian won only clay-court matches and Nastase was one of the best players, would have beaten Vilas anyway...

Lendl and McEnroe's streaks look familiar to me, it's tough to separate them according to numbers on OP.

Federer's streak was great (2 majors) but rather one-sided - no clay, no grass.

Taking into account scorelines, McEnroe's streak is the most impressive, before he lost to Lendl had never been close to lose a match, whilst Vilas and Borg came back from 2-sets-to-1 deficits, Lendl and Federer saved match points...

#26 ·
Vilas' streak would have been longer if Nastase hadn't used strings which were forbidden afterwards, but the Argentinian won only clay-court matches and Nastase was one of the best players, would have beaten Vilas anyway...
that's not what Vilas says, and it was on clay ;)

this racket really did wonders according to some, at least it was really famous, I think Georges Goven won several tournaments thanks to that :lol:

#27 ·
Borg.

Longest undefeated run and included 4 surfaces.

#40 ·
Thanks for the stats. It's actually really difficult to choose because the longer the streak, the more things that are wrong with it! I actually think the two most impressive streaks are the shortest two (Federer's and McEnroe). Got to feel for Vilas. Damn Spaghetti.

#43 ·
We are not talking about surface streaks here, but overall consecutive wins.

#50 · (Edited)
Now it's becoming really interesting, if Djokovic wins Roland Garros, we can assume he will be the first man to win 50 consecutive matches in the Open era!

Just one win away against some mug in Paris to become the 6th man to win at least 40 matches in a row...

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.