Mens Tennis Forums banner

In The Spotlight: buddyholly

12K views 166 replies 22 participants last post by  alfonsojose 
#1 ·
don't fight it, it's happening. :D

1. do you have any other citizenship apart from irish? if canadian, did you vote for harper?

2. do you support any particular english teams in the pl?

3. since you're in canada, will you go watch the olympics?

4. thoughts on barry cowan?

5. do you think bilbo's taking the piss from time to time or do you believe he's really serious about the stuff he posts?

5. as a canadian, are you a hockey fan? if so, any particular franchise?

6. who do you think will run for office on the republican side in 2010? who do you want to run for office?

7. border fence, yes or nay?

8. name the 4 semi-finalists of next year's world cup.

9. avid skier?

10. where do you see glenn beck in 10 years' time?

that'll be a good start. off you go.

See less See more
#75 ·
1. Name all the tennis tournaments you have been to in the last 5 years.
2. What was your favorite and why?
3. If you had to go back to being a working man again would you do anything differently?
4. Any regrets in life or do you never think about that stuff?
5. Which country do you prefer living in and why?
6. What country could you not stand? ( forget Cuba as I know how you fell about it)
7. Did you ever have any desire to have children? And why your answer?
8. Favorite era of men's tennis?
9. Do you even like women's tennis?
10. What did you think of Bobby Riggs?

#77 ·
1. Miami, Toronto, Copa de Cafe, San Jose. Because I was working overseas it was never easy to attend a tournament. I did taqke vacation in June though, so that my Visits to Ireland co-incided with Wimbledon on TV. I spent one day at Wimbledon, got onto Centre Court at 8.30pm after a day standing in lines. Never again.
2. I love Miami, the fifth slam, and I can buy a ticket every day and sit in the front row on Granstand, where they put the Latino players. Much better than a high seat in the Main Stadium to watch one-sided matches. When the tournament progresses to where there is not a full 14 hours of play a day, I go home and watch TV.
3. I don't think so. I didn't have to work in an office and I got to travel.
4. Don't really think about it.
5. Costa Rica was great because of the climate. Toronto is nice for now, because all my working life I was only visiting big cities on vacation. We will see as the winter grinds on.
6. Honduras. Too dangerous.
7. No. There is no why. If you don't have the desire then there is no wondering why not. Maybe because I am an atheist I have no sense of continuity.
8. Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Edberg and Lendl, of course - the Golden Age.
10. I liked it in the era of Martina and Chris. I met Pam Shriver and Zina Garrison in Cuba.
11. Nothing.

#78 ·
were your parents atheists as well?

did you get the fuck out of NI as soon as you were old enough?

was there any specific reason you got an Irish passport?

what part of NI are you from?
1. Non-Subscribing Presbyterians.
2. I probably studied geology knowing that emigration was essential.
3. Because the privilege was to be phased out after the Accord.
4.Down, a small town with the only metal stocks remaining in the British Isles.

#79 ·
1. Can't wait to hear your take on the Toronto winter. How do you think you will do?
2. What made you decide to live in Toronto? ( hubby's fav city in the world)
3. What would I like most about Toronto?
4. In retirement what do you do daily to keep life enjoyable? ( remember this question comes from a workaholic :( )
5. Do you play tennis?
6. If you do how well do you play?
7. What is your idea of the perfect date?
8. Do you have a favorite real life story you'd care to share?
9. Do you belong to a political party? If so which one? And do you vote in every election?
10. Do you have a favorite state in the USA you'd like to visit again? Why? And what state have you never been in but want to see one day?

#80 ·
1. Just fine. I am downtown, on the lake shore, a couple of blocks from all of underground Toronto.
2.Had to recover my Canadian residency. I did post-grad in Toronto, so was already familiar with the city. Sometime this year I will check out Vancouver.
3.Almost everything is downtown and it is safe to walk all night. A car is not necessary, would be an expensive liability.
4. I enjoy a morning newspaper on my doorstep for the first time in 35 years. Sometimes I am not finished until afternoon. I have a gym in my building and I play tennis at a club with a winter ''bubble'' on the courts. I have lots of movies to catch up on via DVD. I am near a great market, St. Lawrence. I like just looking at all the high quality meat, cheese and seafood that I did without in other countries.
5. Answered.
6. Good for my age, I think. I can still beat the young guys who follow the Agassi creed that style is everything or something like that and look very stylish as they double fault. For me, a heavily sliced backhand that bounces into the opponent's belly rather than onto his waiting racquet, floats my boat. (Santoro is my idol.) Main problem now is mobility.
7. Best possible dinner and maybe theatre. Assuming you don't mean the ideal date partner! If she is more interested in how ''cool'' the restaurant is rather than how good the food is, there wouldn't be a second date.
8. On the barrier reef one day we were pinned against the reef by an enormous whale shark, that came in so close that it was looking at us with one big eye. It stayed about five minutes until one of us could not resist leaving the reef and stroking a fin, at which point it slowly swam off. About the only reason I can think of to use the word awesome without exaggerating.
On another dive the shark feeding got out of control and a ball of excited sharks rolled through our lookout spot, knocking us about.
Once in a lifetime dive adventures are my favourite memories.
9. I don't belong to a party and have never even voted, because I have been abroad.
10. I love California and in a month or two I will do the coastal drive from SF to LA. Never did that before.
I was in Salt Lake City, but haven't seen the rock formations of the state, such as Bryce Canyon. Something I must do.

#81 ·
1. if you were the president of the united states and pentagon officials would propose a violent coup d'etat to oust chavez in venezuela, orchestrated by the cia - would you be up for it?

2. how much of the building boom in costa rica and panama is solely down to money laundering of drug cartels? percentage-wise please.

3. with all the ups and down in the irish economy over the last 10-20 years, where do you see ireland in 2015?

4. do you support the english team in south africa?

5. is "soccer" a big deal in the canadian media these days? is it mentioned at all? i always felt like canada's even better than the united states at ignoring world cups.

#85 ·
1. if you were the president of the united states and pentagon officials would propose a violent coup d'etat to oust chavez in venezuela, orchestrated by the cia - would you be up for it?

2. how much of the building boom in costa rica and panama is solely down to money laundering of drug cartels? percentage-wise please.

3. with all the ups and down in the irish economy over the last 10-20 years, where do you see ireland in 2015?

4. do you support the english team in south africa?

5. is "soccer" a big deal in the canadian media these days? is it mentioned at all? i always felt like canada's even better than the united states at ignoring world cups.
1) No, if the Venezuelans can't do it themselves, that's their problem.
2) Panama looks weird, all these skyscrapers standing empty. I was not aware of a building boom in Costa Rica. It is very different ftrom Panama.If you were to see San Jose you would realise that the Ticos are going it alone, without much drug money flowing in.
3) Probably 50% back to pre Celtic Tiger days. But not having lived there for 43 years I don't think or know much about Irish economic affairs.
4) Yes, against Germany and Argentina. But I would root for a Cinderella team if they have a match with England. However, chances for that are almost gone.
I want the USA to do well and boost football in N. America. Being ranked 14th they have already exceeded expectations by winning their group. And apart from Donovan, Dempsey and Howard they are not household names. But they are a nice team, without Prima Donnas rolling around on the ground whining to the ref. I find that refreshing.
5) Canadian soccer is mostly ignored. But in Toronto with all its ethnic groups the WC is huge. The national TV channel shows every game live in high definition, shutting out ESPN. Today and tomorrow is the G20. I assume the leaders will determine world policy depending on how their team is doing. Expect France and Italy to throw their toys out of the pram.

#82 ·
1- What do you think about nationalism?

2- Why are white countries so rich, and black countries so poor?

3- What kind of accent do you have? Irish? Canadian? Mixed?

4- What is your stance regarding Quebec's independence?

#86 ·
1- What do you think about nationalism?

2- Why are white countries so rich, and black countries so poor?

3- What kind of accent do you have? Irish? Canadian? Mixed?

4- What is your stance regarding Quebec's independence?
1) I am very nationalistic now. Why not, I am lucky enough to have Canadian citizenship.

2) A lot of it has to do with latitude.

3) No Canadian yet, I have only been here 8 months, eh, apart from 5 years in the 60's. (But I spent most of those 5 years in the Canadian north working with fellow immigrants from Europe. The Canadian citizens preferred the city life, so I was not much exposed to the Canadian accent.)
When I tell people I am originally from Northern Ireland they usually say ''Aaaah, so that's it. I could just hear it.

4) Probably a dead issue now. It would be foolish. There was a very rare earthquake on the Quebec-Ontario border last Wednesday. Someone tweeted that ''finally, Quebec is separating.''

#83 ·
1. How would you describe your rate of usage and overall need for mental/emotional defense mechanisms?

2. What is your perspective on possessions?

3. When was the last time you experienced embarrassment? Please give details of the situation and your response.

4. What is your favorite type of cheese?

#84 ·
1. How would you describe your rate of usage and overall need for mental/emotional defense mechanisms?

2. What is your perspective on possessions?

3. When was the last time you experienced embarrassment? Please give details of the situation and your response.

4. What is your favorite type of cheese?
1) What kind of psychobabble is that? I don't understand the question. I just get on with things. Of course I am an atheist, so have no emotions.

2) I like to be mobile, so avoid possesions other than the complete Buddy Holly collection and a tennis racquet. Food and travel get my money, hardly what you would call possessions.

3) I am over 65 and don't have to be embarrassed anymore. We call it a ''senior moment'' and move on.

4) I recently discovered Saint Felicien, a French soft cheese with a pungent kick. I am addicted. I recommend it with a Chateau D'Yquem.

#87 ·
Why the renewed interest? I was all prepared this weekend to report from Ground Zero at the G20. But in reality there are so many cops on the streets that downtown is like a Sunday.

I have heard so many activists saying that they are here to represent the ''people'' and protest the world's leaders who are only representing the rich capitalists. I have not heard one of them acknowledge that all the principal leaders were in fact elected by the ''people.'' Such self-righteousness.

Only security breach so far is that an out-of-town cop had his computer and riot gear stolen from his room by a prostitute, when he nodded off after sex. She has been arrested and police are satisfied that she did not know what was in the suitcase she liberated from the cop. At least when he woke up he did not find himself handcuffed to the bed.

#93 · (Edited)
Not gutted at all. I haven't actually had any since the Hand of Gaul. I share a language with the English, not much else. Now it is the choice of two evils, but I was in Cuba when Maradona was there living in relative luxury and giving the proverbial finger to the opressed Cubans with his pal Fidel. Supposedly he was there to be rehabilitated from his drug addiction, but I imagine Fidel was able to give him what he ''needed'' at the time. In return he seems to have made a devil's pact with Fidel to act as a stooge for him in South America.
So in the choice of two evils, I would get the biggest laugh seeing Maradona fall on his face.

And although I love the game of football, the rolling around by the cheating prima donna players, the ineptitude of refereeing and the bufoonery of the executives has made it just another big business. Maybe I should just get a collection of George Best tapes and rerun those. I really would like to see this WC get more absurd by the day.
Did you know that youtube now has a vuvuzuela button? You can watch videos and have vuvuzuelas drown out the soundtrack. Maybe that will be the legacy of this WC, - the universal vuvuzuela button.

As for potential winners how come nobody talks about Holland? I would like them to win as a sort of reward for their body of work over the last 40 years. I was in Holland when they lost the final to Germany in 1974. Didn't get to see Amsterdam in full party mode. I blame Germany for that.

#95 ·
I'm sure the question has already been made and answered, but were you born a Protestant or a Catholic?

#98 ·
When I was born I don't think I had any religion at all. But my parents were Protestant. Unitarian actually, which my friends in the US say is practically the same as atheist.

I was in my early teens when I began to realise that almost the entire population of Northern Ireland was stuck in the mire of religion.

#102 ·
What about if you can feel it?

Just kidding, don't want to start this discussion again.

Reactions: WarriorA
#107 ·
okay, we've had our share of heated discussions about the israeli-palestinian conflict so now it's time for a more friendly exchange for a change... :)

1- have you ever thought about going back to live in northern ireland?

2- is your direct family more favourable to keep Ulster british, seek its independence or to annex it to the republic?

3- do you personally hope that one day the whole of Ulster will be part of the republic? why?

4- best place in the world to find good beer at reasonable prices?

5- did you ever feel discriminated for your (lack of) religion or your backgrounds in NI?

6- what's your ethinicity?

7- what's your opinion on the orangemen in NI?

8- with which country in the world do you identify more right now?

9- best place in the island of ireland?

10- best country in the UK?

cheers

#108 ·
okay, we've had our share of heated discussions about the israeli-palestinian conflict so now it's time for a more friendly exchange for a change... :)

1- have you ever thought about going back to live in northern ireland?

2- is your direct family more favourable to keep Ulster british, seek its independence or to annex it to the republic?

3- do you personally hope that one day the whole of Ulster will be part of the republic? why?

4- best place in the world to find good beer at reasonable prices?

5- did you ever feel discriminated for your (lack of) religion or your backgrounds in NI?

6- what's your ethinicity?

7- what's your opinion on the orangemen in NI?

8- with which country in the world do you identify more right now?

9- best place in the island of ireland?

10- best country in the UK?

cheers
1. No
2 Stay British
3 Hardly matters anymore, although the Republic seems more prone to wild economic swings.
4 I hate beer. Too proletarian.
5 No, but I left after university, was never in the workplace
6 Ethnicity? WASA, I suppose. White Anglo Saxon Atheist. My surname and place of birth suggests we could have been Hugenots that fled to Ireland to start the Irish linen industry.
7 Dinosaurs
8 Canada
9 West coast, Galway area.
10 No possible answer. It would have to be best country for each individual thing, like scenery, history, hospitality, etc

#111 ·
i do think ulster should be part of the republic and that the british plantation was just about one of the worst thing the brits did to ireland but better not to engage in that discussion here... :)
I remember way back at the very beginning of the ''troubles'' my friends in the Irish Republic saying that they wouldn't want Northern Ireland in the Republic anyway, they have problems enough. That was probably a more sensible view than anything the IRA had in mind.
But I wouldn't engage in any more discussion anyway - like all the Irish, I am sick and tired of it.

#115 ·
i know canada is your home now but do you prefer to say you're irish or british? i ask because at least here you've constantly referred to yourself as irish.
Well, if we are talking about something related to Ireland, I am Irish-born. I fall between two stools - I was born on the island of Ireland but under British jurisdiction.

But now I am a citizen of Canada and Canada is not just my home, it is my country.

#113 ·
1. Which currently active tennis players, if any, do you enjoy watching and/or rooting for?

2. Are there any players that you particularly dislike? If so, whom?

3. I have always found it strange (in a refreshing way) that a Canadian citizen is quicker to defend the United States on certain issues than many of the Americans in these forums, especially because a great deal of the Canadians that I have heard from seem none-too-fond of the US. Why are you different? :)

4. Prefer cats or dogs? (or neither, but that would put you at risk of seeming heartless)

5. Do you like any English or Irish poets?

6. Do you watch the WTA at all?

(probably more to come later)

#114 ·
1. Which currently active tennis players, if any, do you enjoy watching and/or rooting for?

2. Are there any players that you particularly dislike? If so, whom?

3. I have always found it strange (in a refreshing way) that a Canadian citizen is quicker to defend the United States on certain issues than many of the Americans in these forums, especially because a great deal of the Canadians that I have heard from seem none-too-fond of the US. Why are you different? :)

4. Prefer cats or dogs? (or neither, but that would put you at risk of seeming heartless)

5. Do you like any English or Irish poets?

6. Do you watch the WTA at all?

(probably more to come later)
1. Raonic, obviously. Ferrer. O. Rochus. Nadal. Wish Santoro was still active.

2. Djokovic. Like a Rubber Ball, bouncy, bouncy............... He's not the only player with a heart, but he doesn't know it.
Federer is such a glamour diva, thinks his proper environment is with royalty. When he blogged once from Tokyo, it was pathetic.

3. All my associations with Americans have been positive. I wouldn't have much to post if I only defended Canada here, we are never accused of anything. Maybe by not being Canada-born I have not been infected by the Canadian inferiority complex everybody talks about.

4. I like fun dogs like Border Collies and hate useless dogs like Dachshunds. But my admiration is for cats - their independence, aloofness and general don't-give-a-s*^t attitude to humans - as long as they do their jobs and keep the food coming.

5. I have no feelings for poetry at all.

6. I spent a lot of time watching Evert, Navratilova and other players from that era. Today I avoid it.

#118 ·
I was not interested in a ''career'' with a big company.

I mainly worked for a number of mining 'juniors'' - small companies that don't pay pensions, but can make you rich from share options if you beat the odds and find something. Unfortunately I made my discovery in Cuba, where only the Castro's are allowed to get rich. My discovery is still in the ground. That pleases Castro more than having a small area of Cuba being economically self-sufficient. I suppose gold in Cuban soil is much the same thing to them as gold in a Swiss bank. They can take it out when they need it.

And after I got Canadian citizenship I worked abroad and do not qualify for a Canadian government pension.

#120 ·
I don't have the ''face palm'' smilie or I would use it here.

If you watch the youtube video that shows the written lyrics you see that the words are really, really bad. However, a simple catchy tune and really bad lyrics can lead to a success of sorts. Bad lyrics that have to be squeezed into the tune stick in peoples' minds.
So if you listen to last year's video sensation ''Friday, Friday'' you will see that these two songs are very similar. They sound like nursery rhymes put to music. So bad they are almost good.

#122 · (Edited)
You have to check out ''Friday'' by Rebecca Black. Nobody can speak authoritatively of popular music if they have not seen it.

If you think those lyrics funny, how about "Today is Friday, yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday and then comes Sunday?''

:facepalm:

#124 ·
The reputation of the song precedes it and I've seen those "lyrics" somewhere before. Gotta thank Rebecca Black for pointing that out to me - I wasn't very familiar with the sequence of the days in the week.

Oh wow, it worked. I can give brief, concise responses to to abraxas now
:haha:

If you and abraxas21 were trapped in an elevator together how long do you think you'd last before you guys start going at each others' throats?

#131 ·
So do you like being retired and still enjoying Canada?
Yes, I love the weather. I go to Miami on Wed, where the forecast is for 77 degrees. The forecast for Toronto is 79!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for my winter break. But I will pack some warm clothing. And being gone for 10 days this thread will hopefully return to oblivion.

The prior years I enjoyed watching the ice form on Lake Ontario and then break into sheets and move with the wind. Every day a different view.
This winter there was not even enough ice for a gin and tonic.

#132 ·
You are one of the posters I enjoy reading, because one; you are mostly harmless, and two; your funny avatar stares down upon us with a mix of disdain and amusement, and I love that look. My questions are:

1. What do you think about the trolls on MTF these days? How do they compare with the trolls of yore?

2. Has Joyce influenced your thinking in anyway - especially in your decision to give up the Church?

3. How much money have you made? You can answer it this way if you don't want to disclose the real amount? - pennies/stack/pile/loads/shitloads/Swissbank + massive tax evasion?

4. If you are forced to share a room with either Hitler or Stalin and you have no option to choose otherwise, whom would you rather prefer for a roommate and why?

5. Ideal vacation: winter shack at a Hawaiian beach or summer treehouse in a Peruvian mountain?

#133 · (Edited)
I looked up trolling in Wikipedia and it is defined as posting comments that are specifically designed to yank the chains of others. I usually say what I think, without thought of who it may offend or why, so that does not appear to be trolling. And since the posters on the internet are anonymous I don't see how it is possible to distinguish between a troll and a post. I think the mods are the worst trollers, making unfounded charges against their literary superiors.

My devout atheism is all my own work and an easy conclusion. Firstly, I can not conceive of a supernatural being, so there is absolutely no point in me considering the existence of one. Secondly, since it is obvious we natural beings can not prove the existence or non-existence of a supernatural being, then there is absolutely nothing to gain by wasting time wondering if there is one. Especially since it is fairly clear that if there is a supernatural being, then it obviously created the universe and then became bored with it, and doesn't play with it anymore. It is up to us and any other intelligent life to get on with running it ourselves.

Enough to consider it impolite to talk about it.

Probably Hitler, because I am not Jewish. And if Stalin were to find out that I had a bank account that I considered belonged to me and not the Party elite..................

Neither is ideal because they don't seem to offer much to do but lie around all day. I need restaurants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.