Mens Tennis Forums banner

There is no finish line...

78K views 418 replies 58 participants last post by  Apophis 
#1 · (Edited)
Throughout his career Federer has attained numerous records – some of which are very well documented and publicised, others which perhaps are not. But often the question is asked: what more is there left to achieve? For sure there are many tennis records out there, a good number of them would be almost impossible for Federer to beat. But there are also numerous records that can still be equalled and/or broken.

So in this thread – which happens to be my first ;) – I have listed in no particular order, some of the records he has yet to achieve but may yet plausibly attain. They all refer to achievements in singles during the Open Era unless specified otherwise. Of course I have also included what he needs to do to achieve them and will try to update this on a regular basis (your help would be much appreciated with this too).

Note that there are numerous records which Federer has equalled but has not yet surpassed. Depending upon the response I get from this thread, I might include these in the post as well.

I’d just like to add that if Federer does not achieve many (or indeed any) of the records listed below, that does not in any way detract from his achievements thus far. For me at least, his place in tennis history is already sealed, although new chapters of this history are being added as time passes and that perhaps one day it is only reasonable to imagine that a number of Federer’s own records may be caught up to. But for now let us look forward to what there is still to aim for because as Roger states himself:

Update in progress... (stats to be correct correct to Monday 22nd June 2015, week prior to the start of Wimbledon)
Click for selected achievements since the previous update

PS: I am aware that there are more potential records which he can target, which I will add on in due course. In the meantime please let me know if there is anything I have missed out or if there are any important ones which you think should be included here.
Please also let be know if you spot any errors. Thanks :)

See less See more
#141 ·
Speculation -

Does Fed add some more tournaments now? Does he play Hamburg and Monte Carlo?

He's got Halle - that's an ATP tour 250, and another slot for an ATP 500.

Does the Olympics count as an extra tournament on the slot?

Right now he's got a zero for one of the ATP tour 1000, and two zeros, for his last two countable tournaments, one 500 and one 250.

#146 ·
Does the Olympics count as an extra tournament on the slot?

Right now he's got a zero for one of the ATP tour 1000, and two zeros, for his last two countable tournaments, one 500 and one 250.
only one zero for his optional results, which would be gone after Tokyo if he played one more ATP500 tournament or Monte-Carlo, but I really don't think he will, then this zeropointer will stay in his ranking.

Davis cup 25 points will replace Monte-Carlo after Monte-Carlo is gone, then if he plays Halle (which he's supposed to do), his points in Halle will replace his Davis cup 25 points.

Then the Olympics will replace the worst of Halle and Doha 90 points.

Honestly if he does well in RG, I would prefer him to skip Halle (after all Nadal and Djokovic will be there then the tournament won't miss Roger too much) because last year he was not fit enough for the end of Wimbledon imo. And Halle is nearly useless as far as the rankings are concerned.

#142 · (Edited)
I thought it would be interesting to mention that Roger’s first round win over Llodra in Dubai featured the 75th occasion in which he dished out a bagel at the main tour level.

His win in the final is the 5th time he was won in Dubai and it is the 6th tournament at which he has at least 5 victories (the others being the 6 World Tour Finals titles, 6 Wimbledon titles, 5 US Open titles, 5 Basel titles and 5 Halle titles).

The match against Murray was his 102nd final, and the straight sets win gave him his 72nd title and 50th on a hard court (52nd outdoors).

I’ve noted from Pipsy’s thread that Federer has now spent 500 weeks in the top 10.

Furthermore, as JediFed notes:
February 17th of 2013 will be 10 years in the top 5. The last one to achieve this was Lendl.

He's had the best run since Sampras' 10 years 10 months in the top ten, missing a week at 7, which is best in the modern tour era.

Lendl was in the top 5 for just a little over 10 years consecutively. Connors had a run from September 26th of 1973 to May 5th of 1986 in the top 5, a span of 12 years 7 months, which is the open-era record.

#148 ·
Then the Olympics will replace the worst of Halle and Doha 90 points.
So there's no need for him to play another tournament other than what's on his schedule. Good to know.

Honestly if he does well in RG, I would prefer him to skip Halle (after all Nadal and Djokovic will be there then the tournament won't miss Roger too much) because last year he was not fit enough for the end of Wimbledon imo. And Halle is nearly useless as far as the rankings are concerned.
Halle is grass, he needs more grass wins to pass Hewitt - if he gets to play 3 grass tournaments this year, it's probably for the best for him to play Halle.

I would like to see him play Monte Carlo, if for nothing else, to get rid of that zero.

#151 ·
:worship: :bigclap: He's great at always. He is great with or without this result but of cource it's nice.
Tonight he has Bellucci #50 so please Roger, go to 76th...

#154 ·
The only relevant Agassi records are the golden slam, total career HC grand slam wins (127 vs 124), overall tour wins, (870 vs 827), overall HC wins (598 vs 512), overall outdoor wins (702 vs 610),

He has a shot at number 2 on the grass wins (he's just 17 behind McEnroe), if he does well at Wimbly and plays Halle. It's the only record earned from his 'generation' of Tennis that he doesn't own (thanks to Hewitt being 3 ahead).

Hewitt's actually 8th all time.

Fed also needs just 3 more indoor wins to get on the top 10 list.

#155 · (Edited)
Federer's approaching another record here:

He's just 8 weeks shy of Sampras's record number of weeks at 1,2 and 3.

73 + 91 + 285 = 441 total weeks Federer
81 + 90 + 286 = 449 total weeks Sampras
270 + 60 + 68 = 398 total weeks Lendl
72 + 104 + 166= 342 total weeks Edberg
227 + 102 + ? = 329 total weeks Nadal
268 + ? + ? = 268 total weeks Connors

He would reach it before Rome, assuming he maintains his ranking. Fed has clinched number 3 for another three weeks, bringing him just 5 shy of Sampras.

A win vs Nadal, will put him out of reach until April 23rd, putting him just 3 weeks shy of Sampras's record.

#166 ·
Federer's approaching another record here:

He's just 8 weeks shy of Sampras's record number of weeks at 1,2 and 3.

73 + 91 + 285 = 441 total weeks Federer
81 + 90 + 286 = 449 total weeks Sampras

270 + 60 + 68 = 398 total weeks Lendl
72 + 104 + 166= 342 total weeks Edberg
227 + 102 + ? = 329 total weeks Nadal
268 + ? + ? = 268 total weeks Connors

He would reach it before Rome, assuming he maintains his ranking. Fed has clinched number 3 for another three weeks, bringing him just 5 shy of Sampras.

A win vs Nadal, will put him out of reach until April 23rd, putting him just 3 weeks shy of Sampras's record.
I make that 449 total weeks for Federer and 457 weeks for Sampras, but you are right in that he is 8 weeks shy at present.

Thanks for your continued contributions to the thread! :yeah:

#159 ·
Like I said, wikipedia has Agassi at 251 Masters wins, which wouldn't make Fed's 250 a record.
You are gravely mistaken. Agassi only has 209 Masters series wins. He's actually 3rd, behind Nadal who just surpassed him. Federer passed Agassi several years ago, (and was remarked on then).

If you have a source for this, I'd love to see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_World_Tour_records

1. Roger Federer 252
2. Rafael Nadal 215
3. Andre Agassi 209

#160 ·
I think I might have figured out why the discrepancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Agassi_career_statistics
If you go to this page for Agassi's records, it doesn't say "251" anywhere, but I added up all the wins in the ATP Masters Series table, and they add up to 251.

However, there's a note on the page underneath that table: Tournaments were designated as the 'Masters Series' only after the ATP took over the running of the men's tour in 1990. So, Andre's wins at some of these tournaments from 1987-1989 (Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, Canada, Madrid) before they were designated "Masters Series" don't count as wins at Masters Series tournaments. I guess.

#161 ·
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Good find.

They've been doing research into 'top level' events as well, which would try to take the masters all they way back to 1970 or so. Fed's right up there with the greats even then.

#165 · (Edited)
It's the end of a successful week for Roger with title #73 from final #103. He wins Indian Wells for the 4th time, which is a record. It has been noted that he is tied in 1st place for the most Masters 1000 tournaments won (19, alongside Nadal) although he has the record for the most appearances in the final (31, compared to Rafa's 29). Needless to say he extended his lead in the most Masters 1000 semifinals reached (he has 42, Nadal has 40).

The victory in the finals was his 14th hard court Masters 1000 title, which puts him alone above Agassi's 13. He extended his record of most hard court tournaments won, with 51 now. In fact in the Open Era he is the only player to have won more than 50 tournaments on a single surface.

He also took a step towards regaining the #2 ranking, which he just needs to hold for 1 more week to surpass Sampras' mark of 376 weeks. As JediFed noted, we have entered his 449th week in the top 3 (having spent 285 weeks as #1, 91 weeks as #2 and 73 (and counting) weeks at #3.

And yes as it has been noted, he currently holds the record for the most Grand Slam tournaments won (outright record holder with 16), most World Tour Final tournament wins (outright record holder with 6), most Masters 1000 tournament wins (ties Nadal with 19) and most ATP 500 tournament wins (ties Sampras with 12). He is the only person to hold or share the record number of tournament wins in all 4 of these categories concurrently.

Also I forgot to mention after his spell at Rotterdam and Dubai that he now holds the outright record for the number of ATP 500 finals reached (he has participated in 16 finals, Becker is 2nd with 14 and Sampras / Nadal are tied on 13).

#168 ·
I make that 449 total weeks for Federer and 457 weeks for Sampras, but you are right in that he is 8 weeks shy at present.
Federer has now clinched this through to the French Open. He's now broken Sampras' record for the longest time in the top 3.

He also has a solid chance to catch Nadal now. If he can win Madrid, he'll be just 150 back of Nadal going into Rome, where he's defending nothing.

#172 ·
According to wikipedia Federer has 91 weeks at No. 2, which makes him tied with Sampras at 376 in TOP2 (according to first page of this thread he has 90 though, I don't know which is correct).
Defeat Berdych and Sampras's time in the top 2 falls as well.

#177 ·
Hard court titles: (11+)

Vienna (2002), Sydney (2002), Marseilles (2003), Dubai(2003), TMC (2003), Australian Open(2004), Dubai (2004), Indian Wells (2004), Canada (2004), US Open (2004), Bangkok (2004)

Grass court titles: (11)

Halle (2003), Wimbledon (2003), Halle (2004), Wimbledon (2004), Halle (2005), Wimbledon (2005), Halle (2006), Wimbledon (2006), Wimbledon (2007), Halle (2008), Wimbledon (2009)

Clay court titles (10)

Hamburg (2002), Munich (2003), Hamburg (2004), Gstaad (2004), Hamburg (2005), Hamburg (2007),
Estoril (2008), Madrid (2009), Roland Garros (2009), Madrid (2012)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.