Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadal OUT of the Australian Open

42K views 404 replies 153 participants last post by  Pirata. 
#1 ·
Craig Gabriel ‏@crosscourt1
JUST IN - official. Rafa Nadal is out of the Australian Open due to stomach virus.

Jon Wertheim ‏@jon_wertheim
From the camp : Rafa Nadal will not play DOHA & MELBOURNE... a stomach virus makes him stop his rehabilitation and thinks in the new season

Other tennis folk on twiter are saying it too.

Made a new topic as it is big news, merge it in a few hours.

This can't be just from a virus... this smells like a cover up

#230 ·
This does make the RG draw very interesting, seeing as there is a chance of 3/4 Rafa will meet a fellow top 4-member there in the quarterfinals. Combined with Del Potro who will e lurking in the shadows and who knows, some others as well, we might be looking at the most interesting Roland Garros in years.

#232 ·
And yet the fact remains Nadal will still probably triple bagel them all :(

#234 ·
he is playing too much poker on pokerstars.
seriously Nadal was not only one of the greatest players ever, but he also added something very special and unique to the game of tennis.
personally i loved watching him during the rallies and hated watching him between points. one pause and slow motion after another. Did he really need that much time to recover? Perhaps since he played points like no other in tennis ever.
It will be very sad to see him leave tennis. He will allways be very special.

#238 ·
He knows that pre-slam prep requires that you A) get enough match time, and, B) stay healthy so that you can do A. I immediately thought the announcement bizarre, but I think if his camp wanted to lie, they could have claimed that his main problem is still his knees. Stomach viruses can knock you out for weeks. Big disappointment nevertheless.

#240 ·
Nole's GOAT cheese investment paying dividends already.

#241 ·
Sad news, though Nadal was an unlikely winner anyway with such a long absence.

Ferrer will rise to the nr.4 ranking and will become the nr.1 ranked Spaniard after the AO.

#254 ·
He wasn't an unlikely SF player though with the weak tour once you go below 9 in the world and slow ass Plexicushion. He also had the excuse in case he lost.

Win-win.

As truthful as Iraqi wmds.

Nadal added that his defeat to Rosol could not be compared to when Robin Soderling upset him at the 2009 French Open.

“There is no point of comparison,” he said. “Both have in common that my knee was bad, but I could compete at Roland Garros. In Wimbledon, no. The defeat to Rosol as was a death foretold for me.”
He's basically implying Bellucci (who he defeated in round one of Wimby 2012) lost to him when he 'couldn't compete' - an ultimate insult. If I was Thomaz, I would be biting back with gnashing teeth.

#243 ·
Terrible news for Rafa and his fans. I feel for the Rafa fans i really do, i cant imagine how upset I'd feel if Murray didn't play for 6+ months pulled out of 2 GS in a row!!

It is odd that he is pulling out of AO before 2013 has even arrived. Who knows? could be psychological issue arising about the knee or the hardcourts. I definately suspect there is more going on then behind the scenes that we don't know about. Whatever it is wish Rafa all the best.

Reactions: Mimi
#244 ·
Don´t really like Nadal, but hope he can return to tennis quickly...

I don´t believe Nadal was nearly match fit before the virus. In that case he could still make the AO. So probably he was racing to be fit.

But then his knee injury really is a mystery thing. Because, right after wimbledon he was talking about a few weeks, expected to make the olympics or at least the USO.... For me it seems really strange that they were so far of that even without the virus he was probably in doubt for the AO. And it makes me wonder if they have any founded idea about if and when he can return to playing like he was before his injury.

Other possibility could be that it is a cover up. But that seems unlikely, because in that case he would probably initially have said he would be out for about half a year instead of a few weeks. Or can they have some kind of battle with the atp/itf?

#252 ·
My heart and soul and self will never be recovered. I dunno what to say really. All i will say is to our dearest most precious rafa fans in this forum, please stay strong he will come back, i know he will. Im so speechless and hurt. But i hope and wish Rafa in this recovery, i have been a Rafafanatic for many many years, and i feel like i have known him forever. Stay strong Rafa and my prayers go to you and your team. :sad::sad::sad::sad:

#260 ·
I congratulate you for being such a fan. :yeah: It must be very hard to be a Rafa fan right now, but you haven't left like many others. You stay strong, Rafa will come back when he's ready. And then he'll beat my Nole and I'll get mad at him: but never for long. :)

My best wishes for Rafa. Tennis is not the same without him.

#253 ·
Don't really care if Nadal plays or not personally. Never liked Rafa's game and now Ferrer might reach the semis. Feel a bit with Nadal's fans though, I know what it feels like having your fave unable to play.

#256 ·
Wouldn't have been ready for AO either way. Had no choice but to do just that. Hope he'll be back with us soon.

#263 ·
Its ok im calm now. :p

I congratulate you for being such a fan. :yeah: It must be very hard to be a Rafa fan right now, but you haven't left like many others. You stay strong, Rafa will come back when he's ready. And then he'll beat my Nole and I'll get mad at him: but never for long. :)

My best wishes for Rafa. Tennis is not the same without him.
Thanks sweetie:hug: :hug: i just try my best to have the biggest balls of all the rafa fans in this forum and any where else really. Plus i try my hardest to stay true to myself and true of being a rafa fan. I too have up and downs and love and hate relationships with this guy. It a ride til i die moment when it comes to be a hardcore Rafa fan. :lol:

#261 ·
Things are def not looking good in the Rafa camp. We all know the stomach virus thing is BS and a commonly used excuse. If it were one, it passes typically in a few days. Either it's a crisis of confidence or his knee is still not up to snuff. The longer this goes on, the higher chance he'll never come back.

#266 ·
Well I don't know if the true nature of his injury is his stomach virus or his knee... or something else. But if this is just fear then I think he's wrong. He needs to play, even if he loses first round. It's not going to get easier if you keep putting it off.

But if he really can't play then that's all there is to it. I wish him luck with his recovery, and there's nothing much else to talk about. :shrug: Just leave him alone until he comes back.

#274 ·
that you would even consider it possibly being 'fear' is silly. after you've won as much as he had, you think he would not play just because of being scared that he might do badly?
he's not naive, he doesn't want to play with zero practice. I can't say 100% that it's the stomach virus or something else, but I think it's safe to assume that he THINKS that he'll be back on tour in the next month or so.
if it is indeed the stomach thing or anything, it makes sense. how can you play Doha with no match practice? what would the point be. I do agree with some comments that it's totally strange that he would already retire from the Australian Open, you'd think maybe he could practice hard and see if he is feeling good in the next week or two, but we all know how anal Nadal is about the schedule, hell even how water bottles are sitting besides his chair during matches...

I don't like all of this lame accusations though, obviously it's not a 'game' for him to fake out the public. he certainly wouldn't look good if he had an on going knee injury he was trying to hide, but why again would he still hide it? it's not unheard of that players get the bad luck of having an injury and then an illness.

I just hope he gets better. :) I was certain he would play Doha and now the future is pretty uncertain :sad: I do know that it benefits Nadal nothing at all to make up the problems he's having and that some of you truly must be haters to claim that he is just throwing the public around. whether it's a stomach virus or a knee problem what does it matter? he can't play near maximum level by the grand slam so he won't play. not like it's a conspiracy
and dude the Australian Open is one of the hottest tournaments of the years and 5 set matches! if he was opting out of playing Roland Garros I might think it was a serious injury he was trying to hide BUT does anyone here really think he would be able to play well in Australia with no practice time in the past week or two?

wish there was just a more positive attitude around here, I mean Nadal's out and doesn't want to be, rather then accuse him of being a faker or hiding things why don't we just wish that he gets better

#268 ·
Oh,what a pity.So best wishes for him.

#276 ·
Wasn't surprising.. saw this coming from months ago... however, this stomach virus thing I'm not sure what's up with that...? I understand it may be affecting him now but is really that the excuse for withdrawing out of the Australian Open?

#277 ·
I don't like his idea of I won't compete if I can't win the trophy thing. I am sure other people have played without 100% fit.

Because of his fierce competitiveness, I always thought he can make deep into any tournament without him 100% fit. I think his biggest fear is losing to lower rank players/ crash out early. There is something not right with Nadal.:sad::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.