Mens Tennis Forums banner

Chang's underhand serve to Lendl at '89 French Open

9K views 22 replies 23 participants last post by  garfunkel3008 
#1 ·
Some have critisized it as a bushleague tactic while others have said it was a smart play.

What's your take on it?

#2 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANFHy-VeJxI

It was right because it was Chang...

Chang -> Smart play
Hingis -> bitch

I think it's a smart play, just to surprise, to keep the guy at the other side of the net thinking you could come up with some trick again... just mental play, not bad.

#5 ·
Chang was dead tired against the fit Lendl.

Smart play.

The match was great with that serve and Chang standing near the service line when Lendl was serving.

Took balls to stand up to the intimidating Lendl at only 17.

#14 ·
It was a great tactic

Also loved when he was standing right near the service line aswell

#17 ·
Considering Chang's situation, where the whole crowd was basically rooting for him after seeing him hit some incredible shots while cramping, his was a pretty smart play to mess Lendl up

In Hingis' situation, the whole crowd was already against her for going onto Graf's side, and yes she still wanted to win the match, but didn't she do it twice? It certainly didn't help her as the crowd got on her case more

#21 ·
understandable, chang was cramping and desperate to try something different........hingis' was not clever though.......i think she tried it twice and graf won the point once.......

#22 · (Edited)
I can understand why Chang did it, considering his physical problems,

but I hated that moment and the end of the match because of the public's reaction who were very bad at Lendl.

And Lendl felt obviously bad.

It was like corrida :sad: , typical French public (and I'm French) (Spanish public did a little bit the same to Berdych against Gonzalez in Madrid once)

I was feeling for Lendl in that match :sad:

On the other hand, Chang was not enough praised for his whole tournament, for instance the final where people always talk about Edberg, but his first set's game on returns was sublime, very much inside the court and great returns. He also beat some good claycourters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.