Youzhny - Sela
Gicquel - Mathieu
De Bakker - Giraldo
Mahut - Isner

Gulbis - Robert
Kavcic - Kubot
Haase - Blake
Nishikori - Nadal

I thought twice about whether to start a new thread or not but hey each GS deserves a thread of its own! :eek:

Good luck, Kei!!

#4 ·
Oh this sucks.
...unless Kei wins :p

#6 ·
I really hate it when two of my faves are drawn to play, especially in the first round of a slam! :(

Well at least Kei will have a chance to play on Centre Court but I wanted him to be there on his own merit.
But of course I hope he'll play well and show everyone what he can. Tennis fans from the world over who have yet to see him play can finally witness how talented he is!

...but then I'm hoping Rafa will win his second Wimbledon...this is a nightmare draw for me! :sad:

#7 ·
From facebook:

WOW! First round against Rafa. Exciting. Ready for the battle

Nice he's gearing up for the challenge! :yeah:

#11 ·
Maybe not quite in the magnitude of Karlovic beating Hewitt in Wimbledon 2003. ;) :sobbing:

From Rafa's interview on the Wimbledon site:

Q. You're playing against Kei Nishikori, the Japanese guy. I think you played against him two years ago. What are your impressions of him?

RAFAEL NADAL: He a very good player. I think he had an injury, a very important injury, for the last year or last two years. But he has amazing potential. I think he has enough potential to be in the top 10 if he is healthy and he's still improving a little bit.

I know going to be a very difficult match.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-19/201006191276962992366.html

From Kei's FB:

good day at Wimbledon today. Practiced with Blake, did press conference and a WOWOW interview. Now some Japanese dinner. Only bad news is that the Soccer team lost in South Africa.

#13 ·
Wow not another tough draw. But i would not say its a bad draw. Im actually happy that he is facing Nadal in the first round that's a real opportunity for him to play again one of the best player in the world and its also time for him to show to millions of people that he's one to watch.

I am just hoping that he could do well in the match and would not be stream rolled by Nadal's force. If he wins at lease 1 set then i would be really really happy. Giving Nadal quite a scare would be great. But of course if he could win that would be an icing in the cake!

Much of luck Kei we would all be watching! :D

#17 ·
Second match on Centre Court! :yippee:

Good luck Kei!

He's been interviewed by Japanese TV, both Wowow and NHK, there's not much new comments in it, that he's happy to play on Centre Court and that he's going to play to win!
He looked relaxed and ready for the challenge. :)
He also reflected on the Djokovic match at RG that he didn't think there was much separating them regarding their strokes, but that Djokovic was so much better when it comes to playing big points. He thinks he's learned a lot from that match.

#18 · (Edited)
Good luck Kei!

I hope he plays well enough to give Nadal some trouble. We really don't know, maybe this would be the upset of the tournament. Falla did great against Federer last night, just coming up short, maybe Kei could go a little further! ;-)

Btw, this might sound crazy but did you noticed the hat of Falla last night? It looks like the Japanese flag - maybe it a sign for a Kei win hahaha lol.

Match is just a few hours away, again good luck to us and of course to Kei!

"Kaya mo yan!" :wavey:

#19 ·
Hey Rafkei, it's funny you mention about the cap thing. I just saw who could be a coach wearing the same cap in a match on court 2 and another player who I've forgotten the name also wore a similar cap, it's everywhere!
And come to think of it, Santiago Giraldo wore a similar cap when he played against Kei in the FO 1st round. The thought about it resembling the Japanese flag(maybe due to the low quality live stream) did cross my mind and that's why i remembered...weird

It would've been better if Kei was on first while I'm still quite awake, I'm going to get sleepy by midnight.
But as soon as the match start I'll be enticed to watch it all. Go Kei!

#20 ·
Ha ha, Falla's cap indeed looks like he's rooting for Japan. :lol:

According to TV here, Kei practiced with Almagro this morning. I guess he's trying to get used to the Spanish spin although of course Almagro is not a lefty and Rafa puts so much more spin on the ball than other players.
Hope it will be a good match!

#21 ·
Hi bunny,
only 10 mins to go, players should be on court soon :)

#22 ·
Watch an amazing feeling it must be for Kei to walk out along side Nadal to centre court...!

#23 ·
Rafa and Kei on Centre Court!!

#24 ·
Hi Chewy, I'm so nervous! :unsure:

#25 ·
Rafa won the toss and chose to receive.

#26 ·
Hehe, me too but more excited than nervous.

Im so thankful for these online streams...without them I wouldn't be enjoy this from the very start, even the warm up is interesting :p

Local Tv channels is showing the Sam Stosur's match understandably.

#27 ·
In a pre-match interview, Kei said he will try not to hit the ball to Rafa's comfortable zone. Curious to see how he's going to do so.
C'mon Kei!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.