Mens Tennis Forums banner

World Group Quarterfinal: Italy at Canada (April 5-7, 2013)

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  smucav 
#1 ·
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100019464
World Group Quarterfinal
Date: 05 Apr-07 Apr 2013
Venue: Thunderbird Sports Centre, Vancouver, Canada
Start times:
Day 1: 1300 hrs (2000 hrs GMT)
Day 2: 1400 hrs (2100 hrs GMT)
Day 3: 1400 hrs (2100 hrs GMT)
Surface: Hard (Premier), Indoor
Ball: Yonex Tour

First Meeting

#2 · (Edited)
The ITF has announced the official team nominations for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group quarterfinals and zone group ties taking place on 5-7 April.

CANADA v ITALY
Venue: Thunderbird Sports Centre, Vancouver, CAN (hard – indoor)

Canada
Milos Raonic
Vasek Pospisil
Frank Dancevic
Daniel Nestor
Captain: Martin Laurendeau

Italy
Andreas Seppi
Fabio Fognini
Paolo Lorenzi
OUT Simone Bolelli
IN Daniele Bracciali
Captain: Corrado Barazzutti

#3 ·
I think Martin Laurendeau is making a HUGE MISTAKE by having Frank Dancevic on the team he isn't consistent or good enough. I think Jesse Levine should get a chance to play singles. This tie is going to be very tough for Canada because there is no number two guy. The Italians are sold Seppi, Fognini, are in the ATP top 50. Seppi and Bolleri are also a very good doubles team.

#4 ·
Agreed that we don't have an obvious #2 guy ... and the Italian doubles team probably has the edge here (more because Nestor is having a lackluster year & may be showing his age rather than a problem with Vasek). Basically the situation is Milos should win his 2 singles matches pretty easily, and Italy should have the edge in the other 3; so we figure we only need to win 1 of the 3 where Italy has the advantage. So, the reason I actually agree with Canada's choice of Dancy over Levine is that Frank's peak game is better (his demolition of Granollers last tie is an example) but he isn't consistent. But we aren't looking for consistency - just one win.

Bottom line, Levine probably has higher probability of playing 2 good matches than Frank .... but he would still probably lose both; where Frank sometimes plays at level where he wins no matter how good Italian singles guys are playing. We need to take that chance.

#11 ·
I don't know why Martin Laurendeau is treating Jesse Levine like garbage? Jesse is a Canadian born player he's ranked in the top 100 he's better than Frank Dancevic and Poposil and YET he doesn't get a chance to play Davis Cup. I think it is really unfair on Canada's part. Frank Dancevic is extremely inconsistent yes he beat Granollers but does anyone REALLY believe Dancevic can beat Andreas Seppi? I don't think so. Seppi is really consistent and Fabio Fognini is also a very talented player. Jesse Levine deserves his chance to play.

#13 ·
I don't think Laurendeau is treating Levine "like garbage" ... he's making a decision that (at least he believes .. and I agree with him here) will give Canada the best chance to win (and of course Dancy CAN win vs. Seppi ... even if odds are against him .... Levine CAN beat him too although odds are against him). At this level (DC quarters) ALL coaching decisions have to be made this way ... I think Laurendeau just believes Dancy (right now on this court) has better chance than Levine. . Levine (and Shamasdin) are just as much a part of this team as the other 4; they are traveling & practicing with the team & are available in a pinch (eg. injury). If Canada wins this one, depending on how players perform rest of the year & depending where next tie is (eg. maybe on clay in Serbia), Levine may very well be the #2 guy. And if at that point, for arguments sake, we believe Levine gives us a better chance than Dancy, we put Jesse in ... even though Frank has given us so much for so long.

#12 ·
This is the tie to watch IMO. It's going to be explosive.

#14 ·
Well look at that .. after all my pontificating about Levine vs. Frank, Levine is in & Frank is out.

From Davis Cup Twitter feed:
BREAKING NEWS: Jesse Levine to make Canadian debut replacing Frank Dancevic. Simone Bolelli also OUT for Italy replaced by Daniele Bracciali

wonder what happened .. hope Frank is ok. Maybe bigger news is that Bolelli is out ... he is part of current #3 doubles team with the Fog ... should give Canada a much better shot at doubles now.

#16 ·
Doesn't matter either way, Canada has named Pospisil as the 2nd singles player. Could Levine feature in a 5th and deciding rubber? We'll see.

#17 ·
The ITF has announced the official team nominations for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group quarterfinals and zone group ties taking place on 5-7 April.

CANADA v ITALY

Vasek Pospisil (CAN) v Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Milos Raonic (CAN) v Fabio Fognini (ITA)
Daniel Nestor/Vasek Pospisil (CAN) v Daniele Bracciali/Paolo Lorenzi (ITA)
Milos Raonic (CAN) v Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Vasek Pospisil (CAN) v Fabio Fognini (ITA)

#20 ·
CANADA defeated ITALY 3-1

Andreas Seppi (ITA) d. Vasek Pospisil (CAN) 57 46 64 63 63
Milos Raonic (CAN) d. Fabio Fognini (ITA) 64 76(4) 75
Daniel Nestor/Vasek Pospisil (CAN) d. Daniele Bracciali/Fabio Fognini (ITA) 63 64 36 36 1513
Milos Raonic (CAN) d. Andreas Seppi (ITA) 64 64 36 75
Vasek Pospisil (CAN) v Fabio Fognini (ITA) not played

The World Group semifinals will take place on 13-15 September, when Czech Republic will host Argentina, and Serbia will host Canada. The World Group play-offs, Zone Group I relegation play-offs and Zone Group II promotion play-offs will also take place over the same weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.