• Sebastien Grosjean

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • Richard Gasquet

Votes: 31 43.1%

More talented: Sebastien Grosjean or Richard Gasquet

8K views 69 replies 35 participants last post by  HKz 
#1 · (Edited)
Both have lethal weapons but fatal flaws:

Grosjean had magnificent footwork similar to Federer gliding style and most unique awesome forehand that can generate miracle like shots from insane positions, however he also possessed one of the worst of the worst backhand ever for a top 10 player. He possesses a great serve for his height can generate up to 217kmph thanks to his brilliant smooth service motion. He wasnt the world number one in junior singles/doubles and wimbledon semi finalist (2003, 2004) twice in a row for no reason, for he also possess a fantastic touch up the net combined with a good slice. Grosjean is a difficult player to play against, his versatility, counter punching and court coverage can make opponent make heaps of unforced errors at the same time hit myriad amount of winners thanks to his cannon forehand but because the horrid backhand is such an obvious weakness players who have played him a few times will eventually know how best to counter his game (tommy haas was a good example). His backhand was weak, but that actually wasnt his main weakness - His main weak was that he was a super mental midget with choking ability second to nobody.

Gasquet as we all know have a stunning one of the best ever one handed backhand. If therre is david nalbandians or marat safins two handed backhand, then theres richard gasquets one handed backhand, its that simple. However, while his respectable senior countryman Sebastien Grosjean Big John possessed one of the worst backhand on tour, Gasquet lol possess one of the worst of the worst of the worst forehand ever. His horrid forehand is somewhat of a tradeoff for having such a beautiful backhand, for without the gripping, his backhand will not be the same despite fantastic technique. Gripping combined with a slow non flowing preperation technique forces him to continuously play weak reverse top spin forehands which constantly lands short is the lethal blow to his game. The slow footspeed doesnt help either, it forces him to play weak defensive slices, and just further exposes the weakness on the forehand side. Despite his obvioux weakness though the guy is almost unstoppable once he is given a good day when he finally find some balls to play aggressive tennis and In that regards Grosjean and Gasquet are very similar.

So who do you think is more talented? I have seen both of them live quite many times and they both ooze with talent in their sport, but my personal vote goes to my favourite Sebaastien Grosjean.

See less See more
#7 ·
They're actually pretty similar players but I would give Grosjean the edge. Grosjean's forehand was an incredible shot and one of the most versatile ones you'll ever see. His ability to blast winners from anywhere was obscene. Besides the choking, his backhand was always exposed in big matches and could never hold up. Corretja pretty much dismantled his entire game via the backhand in their RG semi-final.

Gasquet is a slightly inferior player in most aspects but having an awesome single handed backhand always gets you noticed more.

#8 ·
Gasquet of course. This kid is more talented technically than Federer but he wastes all the genius because he is mentally, tactically, physically and psychologically a massive joke.
Grosjean is the best player cause only results matter.

#25 ·
Gasquet of course. This kid is more talented technically than Federer but he wastes all the genius because he is mentally, tactically, physically and psychologically a massive joke.
Grosjean is the best player cause only results matter.
WTF are you smoking? Gasquet is a mental midget who is overrated by most people. He has a flashy backhand (I agree, pure joy to see that in full flight) but pretty much all else sucks most of the time.
Just coz he can run around hitting a few good looking single handers doesnt mean he is as talented as people make out of him. And dont even compare him with a guy like Federer. Federer can do more things with a tennis ball than that "kid" can dream of.

Grosjean is not only a more complete player (and even more fun to watch), he has had better results inspite of being a mental midget himself. He is better tennis player and thats the end of it.

#30 ·
He is better tennis player and thats the end of it.
You are right. But Gasquet was a better junior by a country mile. Then he fucked it up because natural talent is not enough in professional tennis and Gasquet sucks in all the others factors whereas Fed excels in all of them.

#12 ·
Gasquet's serve is underrated. Pretty good shot overall. But his fragile shoulder prevent him from using the full capacity of this shot.
And talking about his forehand would be a very long story but in a nutshell his forehand was pretty good in his young years. Then he modified it (with Benhabiles) and the shot turned into a wreck. Naturally, it was a good shot and he proves it when he uses his attacking forehand (lethal weapon) but his defensive and "waiting-shot" forehand was definitely altered, it's not his natural shot. Nevertheless I agree that Federer is more gifted than Richard in the forehand side of course.
Movement is not a technical skill so irrelevant in my point.

#13 ·
Gasquet's serve is underrated. Pretty good shot overall. But his fragile shoulder prevent him from using the full capacity of this shot.
And talking about his forehand would be a very long story but in a nutshell his forehand was pretty good in his young years. Then he modified it (with Benhabiles) and the shot turned into a wreck. Naturally, it was a good shot and he proves it when he uses his attacking forehand (lethal weapon) but his defensive and "waiting-shot" forehand was definitely altered, it's not his natural shot. Nevertheless I agree that Federer is more gifted than Richard in the forehand side of course.
Movement is not a technical skill so irrelevant in my point.
So your argument is that Gasquet has an underrated serve vs Federer who has one of the greatest second serves ever behind Sampras. Attacking forehands that are good - 80% of the top 100 have that as well. The question is how good and how consistent. Gasquet's forehand is never consistently good and hes never dominated a match with it against a good player.

Movement is most definitely a technical skill in terms of agility - its not just about being fast. Federer in his prime was incredibly light on his feet which allowed him to adapt to most situations and rarely be out of position. Footwork is essential in tennis for your groundstrokes - its not irrelevant at all. How do you think Federer makes up for his backhand deficiencies - with his quick feet which allows him to run around the shot and hit a forehand.

#26 ·
Agreed. I believe results at a young age are a good measure of talent and Gasquet was one of the best juniors ever. In 2002 he won 2 boys' Grand Slams and was junior world number one. He was still young enough to play juniors in 2004. Also in 2002 he ranked in the top 200 at 16 years and 1 month. Back then a lot of people thought he would have a better career than Nadal (also a prodigy of course).

#20 ·
Two of my favorite players! I feel that overall Grosjean was more talented. He had a better serve and a much better forehand = two of the most important shots in tennis. I also feel that Grosjean had the better all around game. As amazing as Gasquet is playing from 20 feet behind the baseline is not going to get you anywhere too often. He seems to need way too much preparation time to his his shots. Even his amazing BH, he needs a lot of time to actually hit them.

#32 ·
Two of my favorite players! I feel that overall Grosjean was more talented. He had a better serve
I don't think so. Richard's serve is quite versatile and if he is not hampered by shoulder or ellbow-problems, he gets quite some free points from it, I don't remember that from Séb.

#29 ·
Movement is an athletic skill. Rocketassist is right. Or at least it's 90% physical and 10% technical.
Roger is an awesome athlete, that's why his movement is so good. Almost zero technical skill involved at all.
It's all about being fast and agile. Both physical traits.

#33 ·
Grosjean

#41 ·
Grosjean.
Hadn't he be mentaly and physicly limited, he would have at least 2 slams. Great serve for his size, solid backhand and one of the best forehands the game has ever seen.

When on fire, that forehand was almost making me wet. ;)
Thank god we still have this youtube highlights.

Reactions: TMJordan
#47 ·
Sebastien Grosjean, set off Rafa at French. That takes talent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.