Mens Tennis Forums banner

There is no finish line...

78K views 418 replies 58 participants last post by  Apophis 
#1 · (Edited)
Throughout his career Federer has attained numerous records – some of which are very well documented and publicised, others which perhaps are not. But often the question is asked: what more is there left to achieve? For sure there are many tennis records out there, a good number of them would be almost impossible for Federer to beat. But there are also numerous records that can still be equalled and/or broken.

So in this thread – which happens to be my first ;) – I have listed in no particular order, some of the records he has yet to achieve but may yet plausibly attain. They all refer to achievements in singles during the Open Era unless specified otherwise. Of course I have also included what he needs to do to achieve them and will try to update this on a regular basis (your help would be much appreciated with this too).

Note that there are numerous records which Federer has equalled but has not yet surpassed. Depending upon the response I get from this thread, I might include these in the post as well.

I’d just like to add that if Federer does not achieve many (or indeed any) of the records listed below, that does not in any way detract from his achievements thus far. For me at least, his place in tennis history is already sealed, although new chapters of this history are being added as time passes and that perhaps one day it is only reasonable to imagine that a number of Federer’s own records may be caught up to. But for now let us look forward to what there is still to aim for because as Roger states himself:

Update in progress... (stats to be correct correct to Monday 22nd June 2015, week prior to the start of Wimbledon)
Click for selected achievements since the previous update

PS: I am aware that there are more potential records which he can target, which I will add on in due course. In the meantime please let me know if there is anything I have missed out or if there are any important ones which you think should be included here.
Please also let be know if you spot any errors. Thanks :)

See less See more
#318 ·
Bring on January for #57.

#326 · (Edited)
Finally! I had hoped he would tie and take this record soon. Congrats Roger! 41. One more and this annoying record goes away.

I believe he owns the most number of 4R+, 3R+ and 2R+ appearances already. Can you check my math on this? Once the QF record from Connors falls, he should own everything except Santoro's record of 70. He's just 2 behind Agassi at 60, and is still chasing Hewitt. ;)

Think he can make 1k wins and be the first since Lendl and Connors to do so?

#329 ·
:nerner:

Also passes John McEnroe in total number of titles, for sole possession of 3rd place

1 J. Connors 109
2 I. Lendl 94
3 R. Federer 78
4 J. McEnroe 77

#330 ·
Next record for Federer is career ATP tour-era outdoor wins at 703. Fed has 701. Agassi has 702. If he plays well at Indian Wells and Miami, he'll bring Agassi's HC wins ever closer.

#331 ·
This list tracks those players who remain active since Roger's slam participation streak began in AO 2000 - 14 years ago. With the retirement of Noam Okun this brings the active total to just 4 players out of the original draw of 128 players who remain active with ranking points, and 6 overall.

Tommy Haas is the highest ranked player!

Hewitt, Llodra and Haas are still around and doing well. Llodra has dropped some, but Hewitt has crept up.

Tommy Haas - STILL ACTIVE - (12)
Lleyton Hewitt - STILL ACTIVE - (41)
Michael Llodra - STILL ACTIVE - (134)

Two remain active without ranking points, although neither have played a match in 2014, and Dupuis has only played once in 2012, and once in 2013. Dupuis is still active until May of this year. Bastl is still active as of October.

Antony Dupuis - STILL ACTIVE [May 13th, 2013] 0 RP Busan Challenger
George Bastl (NR) STILL ACTIVE [October 28th, 2013] 0 RP Geneva Challenger.

#332 ·
Approach, will you be updating the op?

#333 ·
Roger is approaching 200 victories on clay :bounce:

#334 · (Edited)
Connors unfortunately owns the most number of wins on clay, grass and Hard, and it's unlikely Fed will get to 160 Grass wins to pass him. :(

However, Fed's just 4 clay wins shy of Connors. Wow.

With his finals at Monte Carlo, Federer passes Johnny Mac in total semifinals now. Only Lendl + Connors have more.

Fed is 13 outdoor wins shy of Lendl (only Vilas + Connors ahead of him). He's 1 slam QF from sole ownership of the record, and just 1 clay win back of Connors for all of those.

#335 · (Edited)
This list tracks those players who remain active since Roger's slam participation streak began in AO 2000 - 14 years ago. With the retirement of Michael Llodra this brings the active total to just 3 players out of the original draw of 128 players who remain active with ranking points, and 4 overall.

Tommy Haas is the highest ranked player!

Hewitt, and Haas are still around and doing well.

Tommy Haas - STILL ACTIVE - (18)
Lleyton Hewitt - STILL ACTIVE - (46)

One remains active without ranking points, George Bastl is still active as of October.

George Bastl (NR) STILL ACTIVE [October 28th, 2013] 0 RP Geneva Challenger.

#337 ·
Yeah, but he'll be gone by the end of the year unfortunately, leaving just Bastl from the 'pre-Fed' era before his streak began. Hewitt and Haas are both Fed era, but are the only two who were there before he was.

Bastl's also never waited this late into the year to play, so while it's still possible for him to remain active, it's getting less likely. With him gone, that leaves just Haas from 1996.

#339 ·
AUG. 13, 2014 -- Roger Federer has added yet another milestone to his long list of career highlights, becoming the first player to reach 300 match wins at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 level.

The 33-year-old Swiss, who notched his first Masters 1000 win 14 years ago in Miami (d. Gimelstob), posted a 7-6(4), 5-7, 6-2 victory over Canadian Vasek Pospisil on Thursday afternoon in Cincinnati as he began his campaign for a sixth Western & Southern Open title.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Te...nnati-Wednesday-Federer-300-Masters-1000.aspx

#340 ·
Aug 15
@jmeistennis
Roger Federer becomes the first player in history to earn 10 Top-10 wins in 10 different seasons, with his victory over Murray. #powerof10

#342 ·
He's just 4 short from Agassi's HC record. He'll be the first player in 10 years to top a surface record, and the first since he passed Connors awhile back to be 1st and 2nd in two surfaces.

#343 · (Edited)
Fed's also just took another interesting record.

January 29th, 2001, Federer won his first title. He's maintained at least one title (thank you Halle!), since then.

January 29th, 2001 - August 17th, 2015.

14 years 6 months, 19 days.

Ivan Lendl

April 7th, 1980 - October 11th 1994.

14 years 6 months 4 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.