Mens Tennis Forums banner

WTF court speed

4K views 43 replies 32 participants last post by  MrChopin 
#1 ·
How is it? Fast as it should be? Slow like Paris?

#5 ·
There was something said about this during the Murray match. The commentator said that the same person did these courts as in Paris-Bercy and that they will be the same. One commentator said that they (the ATP, I guess?) wanted to keep the conditions the same. The other commentator remarked 'these are the top 8 players and they should be able to adapt' or something like that. Conversation took place in the first half of the first set, if anyone wants to look for it.

#11 ·
Considering the speed of the court, I could guess the person making the courts was the coaching uncle of an currently injured player. Too bad his newphew couldn't play, he would've loved these courts.

#9 ·
quite slow

you need to kill the ball to make a winner from neutral position

#12 ·
It is funny that people think fast courts are the best for Rog, Rog likes lowbouncing court specially against Rafa but also against everybody, the fact that it is really slow helps him I think as he has more time to hit and big hiters can't blow him off court

#17 ·
This might be correct actually.

Fed has the game to finish off points from a won position, while his defense starts to look a bit slow.

So i think it's right to say that Fed would be most dangerous on a low bouncing mid-slow speed hard atm. AKA - Wimby gras :)

#16 ·
Faster than I expected tbh :shrug:

#24 ·
All people do now is complain about court speeds, but maybe it's because the players are stronger and can hit the ball harder now, so the ball is going faster, that the court people feel that they have to slow them down.

#27 ·
or maybe its because ATP wants to homogenize the courts so that one player can get a CYGS or a NCYGS in the near future which will milk money like no other .Also the slow courts allow the ATP to milk on the top 4 rivalry .So the court people feel that are forced to slow it down to get more money

#34 ·
Let's get one thing straight: you cannot tell from the naked eye how fast or slow a court is. Especially how fast or slow different hard courts are.

You all have no idea. Have you all got speed radar guns? No. So shut the flying fuck up then.

And you also can't tell how high bouncing a court is.

You think one shot bounced high, but maybe Federer put a lot of topspin on that, so it would have bounced high on any surface.

Again, fuck off.

#36 ·
As slow as basically every hard court on tour these days :zzz:

As for what benefits Federer, obviously fast courts. Even in his prime, defense wasn't his main asset (although he was great at it), he always beat big hitters by taking the initiative off them, taking their time away (especially those who take huge cuts at the ball ie Del Potro). Against the best defenders (Murray, Nole), it goes without saying that a fast court would be a huge benefit. The only player on the draw against whom fast courts could do more harm than good for Federer would be Tsonga.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.