Mens Tennis Forums banner

Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates (Their rivalry)

80K views 1K replies 232 participants last post by  Fedman 
#1 ·
Just something I thought about :p

let's think about it this way:

Fed's Australian Open = Djoko's Wimbledon.
Fed's Roland Garros = Djoko's Roland Garros.
Fed's Wimbledon = Djoko's Australian Open.
Fed's US Open = Djoko's US Open.

2003 & 2008 - First GS for each player
Both players won their first GS, and in their 'best' tournament of the four.

2004 & 2011 - First year of absolute Dominance
Both won 3 Slams in those year, and were more dominant than any other player on the tour. Also, the only Slam they didn't win was their worst Slam - RG. I know Fed's done it in 2004 which is of course right the next year after 2003, and Novak had a two year break, but oh well...

2005 & 2012 - A little less successful than the previous year
Only two Slams for Roger: His best one, and his second best. Novak has already won his best slam this year, so he now needs to win the USO :p

-------------

I'm kidding of course, but this is just interesting :)

See less See more
#518 ·
Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates - Year End Number 1

Really dam emberassing Nole, schooled by 31 yo Olderer with reumatisam probably. Year end no.1 will be decided by USO, if old geezer wins it, im sure he will clinch it. Nole repeating his 2009 choke/fail year, whenever Nadal isnt playing or injured he plays horible.

#535 ·

wish I could open MTF and not see "weak era" or "strong era" mentioned anywhere :sad:

#554 ·

Nalbandian fits the mental midget label far more than Hewitt. He had a good record against Federer, including wins in big matches, because he is a mercurial talent, nothing to do with his mental toughness. If anything, he did well despite his tendency to choke; that TMC final in 2005 for instance, although a great match, was very, very close to becoming a choke for the ages from Nalby.

Hewitt was very tough mentally, his problem was that he lacked the game to trouble Federer, unlike Nalby. He had nothing to hurt Federer with.

Reactions: Corswandt
#558 ·

Nalbandian fits the mental midget label far more than Hewitt. He had a good record against Federer, including wins in big matches, because he is a mercurial talent, nothing to do with his mental toughness. If anything, he did well despite his tendency to choke; that TMC final in 2005 for instance, although a great match, was very, very close to becoming a choke for the ages from Nalby.

Hewitt was very tough mentally, his problem was that he lacked the game to trouble Federer, unlike Nalby. He had nothing to hurt Federer with.
Good post.

#556 ·

Hewitt burned out early due to injury. His game required a lot of physical endurance. At his best, he deflected power like a mirror- the ultimate counter-striker.
His game was never likely to cause Prime Federer much trouble though.

#565 ·
Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates

Due to a ban and the match thread being locked I wasn't able to comment on the Cincy final yet. But thanks to Snowwy that thread is redirected here anyway. As usual I got the prediction right that Roger would win Cincy, bageling the fake hard court king in the process :drool: Djokotards should have known better than to be cocky before the match and call Djoke the hard court king and real #1. Now they are in tatters because of it. Of course they are making all kinds of excuses now, saying Djoke didn't play well in order to try and save themselves from embarrassment, but the brutal truth is that Roger at age 31 is a better player than Djoke in his prime.

I now go on to predict that Roger will win the US Open as well and confirm himself as the undesputed king of tennis at age 31. And once I get that right my prediction abilities will never be questioned again.

GOAT :worship:

#567 ·
Federer-Djokovic is the best rivalry of this generation/era

The Fedal rivalry is a joke. We all know who will win when they play on clay and slow hard courts :rolleyes: The Nada-Joke rivalry was only okay last year when Djokovic was able to challenge Nadal consistently. Federer and Djokovic are evenly matched on hardcourts(although NOVICe's game is overrated) and have played many great matches.
Discuss.

#568 ·
Fedal is a joke, because we all know who's going to win? (who won their last slow hardcourt meeting?) YET, Nadal-Djokovic was ok, but only last year when Djokovic went 7-0, and not before? :scratch: :facepalm:

Let Federer-Djokovic have some epic slam finals, then we can talk. Rafole have USO 10,11 and AO 12, which were all classics. Fedal have Wimbledon 07,08, AO 09 and even some RG were exciting.

You're just another Rafael Nadal hater.

#570 ·
It was an extremely high level match from both, the winners in there were just incredible. Why do I even bother, you just go watch the semi's from those years again. Sure you'll enjoy that.

Reactions: NID
#571 ·
I think all 3 are great rivalries. The Nadal-Federer matches are usually not the highest of quality, because of the well known matchup issue. Roger obviously can't play his best (credit to Nadal), but even the spaniard goes away from his basic gamestyle against Roger. Still, that rivalry has drama, suspense, and many meetings in slam finals, so it's obviously a great rivalry.

The Federer-Djokovic rivalry is a little better in quality imo, because of the matchups, but the best rivalry in terms of tennis, is the Nadal-Djokovic one. Those 2 can make the other guy to play rallies like nobody else can make them to, and i'm not necessarily talking about quality here, but rather game style. Those 2 players' style combined results in some truly epic rallies, that i honestly never seen in this sport. It's great to watch to be honest.

#575 ·
Federer-Djokovic is certainly the most unpredictable nowadays. From Djokovic owning Federer on clay to Federer getting his revenge on Wimbledon, following it up with a solid straight sets victory on hard with a bagel on top. Definitely one to watch for if they meet again.

Most importantly, I think both players believe they can win when it comes to this matchup on any surface. With Federer, I just don't see any self belief when it comes to playing Nadal on clay, and to some extent even on outdoor hard.

#578 ·
Most importantly, I think both players believe they can win when it comes to this matchup on any surface. With Federer, I just don't see any self belief when it comes to playing Nadal on clay, and to some extent even on outdoor hard.
Very good point.

#576 ·
greatest rivalry is fed-nadal for obvious reasons. they had so many classic matches and this since 8 years.

fed-djokovic is also great, cause it's almost unpredictable who will win and they also had some epic matches (last 2 uso semis, fo semi 2011).

i have to say i dont like the nadal-djokovic rivalvry at all, 'cause they both grind it out most of the time. sure they had some great matches, but still...

#590 ·
Nice way to draw a bad conclusion. Rickcastle only mentioned the USO, so I just highlighted that part. You're not obliged to address everything all the time, do you?

It is however helpful to read someone's comment before making a statement, Looner. But since you almost always have an instant, one lined, incorrect insult ready after I post, I assume you don't always do that.

#597 ·
The Fedal H2H has an asterisk to it.

#602 ·
The only Noledal slam match that was remotely great was the third set of the 2011 USO final.

Wimbledon final was garbage, AO final was ugly and the 2010 USO final was OK but Novak really disappeared after set two.

The third set of RG in 2008 was quite an underrated one.

#627 ·
Re: Best 5 Set Records Active Players Only. Djokovic new leader

Good to see Nadal-, Djoko- and Murraytards able contain their bitterness towards The Greatest so well. :worship:

#634 ·
Re: Federer - Djokovic similarities (Djokovic is having his 'Fed 2005' year)

Reactions: Slice Winner
#640 ·
:haha:

2 bitter butthurt clowns

the king is dead, long live the Muzza!

Djoker's mother thinks there is no debate.

After he won Wimbledon in 2011, his mother proclaimed, “For four years, it was Roger, Rafa, Rafa, Roger,” said Djokovic’s mother, Dijana. “Now it is Novak, Novak, Novak, Novak.” http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/04/s...inal-novak-djokovic-defeats-rafael-nadal.html

This was after she boasted when her son won the Australian Open in 2008 (referring to Roger) "The king is dead!"

Not so fast, Dijana. Since Wimbledon '11, the Slam winners are: Djokovic (US Open), Djokovic (Australian), Nadal (French), Federer (Wimbledon), Murray (US Open). Plus, now Federer stays safely as king at #1, setting the all-time record for weeks at that ranking.

Looks like banking on Nole's mother's predictions aren't a good bet.
never been her strong point

her predictions are in the same league of Topspindoctor's

#636 ·
Djoker's mother thinks there is no debate.

After he won Wimbledon in 2011, his mother proclaimed, “For four years, it was Roger, Rafa, Rafa, Roger,” said Djokovic’s mother, Dijana. “Now it is Novak, Novak, Novak, Novak.” http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/04/s...inal-novak-djokovic-defeats-rafael-nadal.html

This was after she boasted when her son won the Australian Open in 2008 (referring to Roger) "The king is dead!"

Not so fast, Dijana. Since Wimbledon '11, the Slam winners are: Djokovic (US Open), Djokovic (Australian), Nadal (French), Federer (Wimbledon), Murray (US Open). Plus, now Federer stays safely as king at #1, setting the all-time record for weeks at that ranking.

Looks like banking on Nole's mother's predictions aren't a good bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.