Mens Tennis Forums banner

Florian Mayer

87K views 700 replies 77 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
I am a bit late becoming a fan of Florian but I like his style and thought he deserved a thread :)

Good Luck Florian in Hamburg :bounce:

#599 ·
I think he can beat Bellucci, they played on clay in Madrid in 2011, and it was close ( 67 63 30 RET for Thomaz), and I think Flo will make things tough for Bellucci, a player who doesn't like variety. Also, I want him to play a top player again.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#604 ·
Re: Florian Mayer Cheering Thread

Can anyone explain his schedule to me?

He was injured last week and now plays a Challenger Tournament on red clay instead of getting fit for Wimbledon or at least playing a grass tournament?

(Remember the Olympics decision was totally random and strange) but I actually do not understand his schedule at anytime.

Why is he playing this week instead of playing next week a ATP grass tournament which would mean:
+ 1 week of rest
+ better surface for his game...

#606 ·
Well, he's onto Halle QF's ( been playing better since clay started, such a shame he got injured :sad: ), third QF or better of the year ( after Munich QF's & Bucharest SF's). He plays Gasquet, whom he beated last year in Wimbledon.

#609 ·
He beated Andreas Beck yesterday in 3 sets on Sttutgart R1 [ 6/4 3/6 6/1]. Interesting match coming up next for him, Monfils is aleays a tricky customer, and Flo might be tired after his last week run. We'll see!

#615 ·
Good win today, 57 63 63, he was really bad in the 1st set, and Bernard was really bad in the 2nd, but the third set was just great from Flo, hitting the ball cleanly and volleying really good. He will most likely get destroyed by Nole ( like always they play) but I'm happy with the way he played today ( and I think he was half sick as he was coughing really hard in changeovers). Good luck tomorrow Flo!

BTW, he gets a 4-1 H2H vs Tomic, quite a good matchup.

#618 ·
He's playing better than expected in North America - he got that good win vs Tomic in Montreal and is now on US Open R3 ( first time in his career :confused: ? ) after beating Monaco and Young. Murray next up for him, Andy leads the H2H by 2-0 with two meetings n clay ( 16 61 61 in Rome 11' & 76 76 in Madrid). Good thing about Andy is that he lets him dictate, and we we will get for sure some really nice rallies. I hope he gets a decent scoreline at least.

#619 ·

He has reached 3R in USOP twice in his career, 2011 and this year.
His best result at GS is very interesting:lol: AO 3R(2007,2010), RG 2R(2004,2011,2012), WB QF(2004,2012), US 3R(2011,2013)

It's very weird. Clay is his favorite surface but RG's is terrible:lol:

#620 ·

As expected, he lost to Murray 76 62 62. The match was even till the 1st set TB, since then Flo dropped his level and Andy raised his ( Flo had chances to recover the break in set 2 & 3, but he wasn't serving well enough to stand a chance vs a great returner like Andy). About clay being his favourite surface, I don't know, he has his only title on clay plus 3 finals, but I think that when he's serving well he also plays great on low bouncing surfaces like grass or indoor hard ( final in Stockholm, two QF's in Wimbledon), and even on outdoor hard when he's at his absolute best ( like in Shanghai 11').

Off Topic: He has 21/21 W-L record this season, with just two wins less than in 2012, but in 2012 he finished Top-30 and this year he's around #50 in the RACE. I think that the asian and indoor campaign suit him and he will end in the Top-50.

#621 ·
Huge win for Flo today :yeah: , he beated Bellucci on Davis Cup by 64 61 62 :woohoo: . Total destruction ; Thomasz only had chances on set 1, and Flo played one of his best matches of the year.

He was really solid on serve ( 6 Aces, 55% of 1st serves, 73% won on 1st, 77% on 2nd, just broken once...). He also was good from the baseline, 6 FH winners + 9 BH winners. Also 8/9 at the net, and the match just lasted 1:20 minutes. Germany leads 2-0, so they should stay yet another year on the WG.

#622 ·
He beated Dutra Silva on a dead rubber, and is playing Metz next week as the 8th seed ; he has a good draw up to the QF's [ Qualy on R1, Haider-Maurer/Lacko on R2]. On the QF he could have a chance vs Kohli, I think that if he plays good he could beat him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.