Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Recruiting Thread - '12 Spring Class Rankings Out

16K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  yeko 
#1 ·
This will be for all of the recruiting news.

2010 signing has passed, with Duke holding the #1 class, followed by UCLA 2nd, Michigan 3rd, Georgia 4th.

This is according to tennisrecruiting.net, where all commitments are noted. Check out the top 2010 classes here http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=902

2011 Fall signing day has passed. Players will keep committing until Spring signing day, the final deadline for the 2011 season.
View 2011 committs here http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=902

#2 ·
Re: The Recruiting Thread

In 2011, In my opinion, the Vanderbilt Commordores will have the #1 recruiting class, but the big story of this class will be the emergence of the Ivy League landing big time recruits. Harvard will have a top 10 class, not to mention Cornell and Columbia's incredible classes, with a combined 2 blue chips, and 8 5-star recruits to play in the fall of 2011. Penn, Brown, Yale, and Princeton also have 5-star recruits signed. UCLA's class will probably be ranked #2 and South Carolina may be right behind them with a top-5 calibur class.

A lot of talent has shifted from the Pac-10, specifically Stanford, USC, and Cal, and back to the SEC- such as Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee. Duke, after there #1 class in 2010 which included 2 blue chip recruits, will get another BC this year as will Virginia after they got Justin Shane amd Domijan in 2010.

In summary, after a scary 2010 recruiting season where it looked like the big talent was going to big programs (such as the "Pac-3" and Virginia), the talent is spreading out again and coming back to the SEC and of course the Ivy League cannot be ignored while mentioning the '11 class

#3 ·

The tennisrecruiting.net rankings are very good. However they do not rank teams based on their international players, so teams that recruit primarilt international liek Texas Tech or Oklahoma do not appear in the rankings. Also teh Ivy League has put together some strong recruiting classes in recent years but it has yet to translate to the courts.

Recruit news: USC gets son of Andre Gomez to join them for the upcoming season

#4 ·

Emilio Gomez will be the Robert Farah for USC in a matter of time. His ATP career-high ranking is already in the 500's and he's beaten some real talented guys on the tour. Huge sign for the Trojans

#5 ·
Re: The Recruiting Thread - '11 Poll out! Vandy #1, UCLA #2 (AGAIN), 3 Ivy L in top 1

tennisrecruiting.net published a poll of the top 25 2011 recruiting classes.

#1- Vanderbilt - 2 blue chips, 2 5-stars and more. Great class. Vandy leading great classes in the SEC
#2- UCLA - The Bruins 2nd straight year at #2 with 2 blue chips just like last year.
#3- South Carolina - A much-needed class from the struggling Gamecocks. SEC is getting better and better.
#4- CORNELL - Who would have thought this Ivy League school would be top 5?
#5- Tennessee - 2 great signs for the Vols who will lose 3 of their top 6! (Smith, Conkic, Fago)
#6- Virginia - Cavs will lose Shabaz and Singh, but gain 1 standout junior, Mitchell Frank. Domijan-Frank-Jenkins should be the best top 3 in 2011
#7- Columbia - Columbia adds to their top 25 class last year. Sweet 16 may be possible.
#8- Baylor - Couple of Europeans for the Bears
#9- USC - Eric Johnson is one of the best juniors in America, great sign by the Trojans, although the Bruins are building very rapidly. Should be a great UCLA-USC rivalry in 2011
#10- Harvard - Ivy League will be extremely competitive. It should be a battle between Harvard and Columbia for the title
#11- Notre Dame - Notre Dame has had a top 11 class since 2007:eek: Final Four for the Irish?
For the rest of the top 25, visit the link http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=976

#6 ·
Re: The Recruiting Thread - '11 Poll out! Vandy #1, UCLA #2 (AGAIN), 3 Ivy L in top 1

Ohio State picks up blue chip Christopher Diaz.

Meanwhile Hunter Harrington has been demoted from blue chip to 5 star. Great, already regressing

#7 ·

UW with the top WA player. He has a great chance of playing in the singles line-up right away.

I do find it strange that UW doesn't get more Californians since we recruit them in every other sport, but I suppose UW tends to have an international roster.

#8 ·

USC,UCLA,Stanford lock down the very top California players. The rest go to various places.

Yeah Emmet Egger looks rally good. I look at their record vs Blue chippers to determine if they are a strong blue chip or a weaker blue chip. Hunter Harrington(Clemson commit) was a weaker blue chip and now has been reduced to 5 star. We are also getting transfer from Auburn-Montgomery(NAIA) Ayrton Wiborow.

Don't get too excited about the Ivy League commits though, they have had big recruits in the past who turn bad once they get into the school.

#9 ·

UCLA was put at #1 for the final rankings. Marcos Giron leads their group. They bwill be a really good team next year with the talent that is returning and the new guys coming in.

#10 ·

UCLA was put at #1 for the final rankings. Marcos Giron leads their group. They bwill be a really good team next year with the talent that is returning and the new guys coming in.
Giron may be out for a while now with an injury

#11 ·

Virginia picks up 4 blue chips: Mac Styslinger, John Richmond, Mitchell Polnet and Ryan Shane.

#13 ·

Good to see you Ozone. Fall season over and the new spring year about to kick off. Boland can basically get whoever he wants. Styslinger is good but the other 3 are slightly below current UVA standards. They will likely play lower parts of the line-up.

I was dissappointed to see Richmond not go to Clemson.

#14 ·

Yeah I thought he was a lock for Clemson. Harrington-Richmond combo would have been good for the future

#15 ·

I'll hold my judgement on Harrington. He qualified for a future which was encouraging. But also had some bas losses in the ITA fall season. So we will see about him.

#17 ·

Very interesting committment today. Class of 2013 #1 ranked player Ronnie Schneider from Bloomington, Indiana committed to the North Carolina Tar Heels. It's not only odd for class of '13 players to commit now but for a player of his calibur to commit this early is very rare to see

#19 ·
Re: The Recruiting Thread - Schneider (#1 Class of '13) Commits

Will he go to college though?
Yes he committed. It would be silly for him to commit this early and not plan on going to college. However he will probably play early for the Tar Heels, enrolling at the beginning of next's year sping season. Possibly in the fall but I doubt that

#21 ·

Is tennis recruiting a reliable source though? I see they have Peliwo ranked as teh 3rd recruit but he says he isn't playing college tennis.
They use an algorithm based on tournament results in USTA and ITF's. I think it's pretty accurate since it solely based on performance

#25 ·

I've seen him, never played against him. Super-solid from baseline, very quick, great athlete. Very hard to get the ball by him. He can hit great shots from anywhere on the court, and he gets to almost everything too. I would say his backhand is his best shot, likes to hit it flat and pound it on the rise.

#26 ·
Re: The Recruiting Thread - '12 Spring CLass Rankings Out

Here is the link to tennisrecruiting's 2012 Spring Class rankings. http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1351

It's interesting to note that the ACC has 4 Top 10 rated classes while the SEC just has 1 (#7 Georgia).

The Ivy League has 2 top 20 classes.

Don't hang your hat on these rankings though. Recruiting for next season is far from over as many top teams will try to get guys for the spring season.

#28 ·
UF gators signs 4 for 2014... among them two American blue Chips,Elliot Orkin and Josh wardell with some excellent results and rkg in the USA ... one international, Diego Hidalgo (Ecu) who was Ranked 16 ITF world Jr and have some results in ATP Futures QF`s , SF`s and 2 Doubles titles, plays Davis Cup also.
seems like Good recruits! good luck for a bright future for UF and new Coach Bryan shelton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.