Mens Tennis Forums banner

*** Indian Wells 2012 *** : Roger, keep on the good work !!

17K views 273 replies 48 participants last post by  JediFed 
#1 · (Edited)
Eden asked me to start this thread, let's hope it will bring Roger good luck :)

Roger has played great tennis and won his last two tournaments in Rotterdam and Dubai.

He had not played that great in february for many years (didn't play in february in 2008-2009-2010 especially, having physical problems), then there's hope he brings the good form to Indian Wells this time ! :clap2:

But he will have to adapt his game to a slower surface, grind more from the baseline.

His draw :

- R1 Kudla or Tursunov : Tursunov has been injured or out of form this year, the 19 year-old American Kudla might be Fed's opponent, he nearly beat Roddick a few weeks ago and had a good start of the year, number 90 in the Race at the moment, he's not a mug ;)

- R32 : the big TEST Raonic probably !! :unsure: Very tough opponent, it may depend on a few big points.

- R16 : Melzer or Monfils or Davydenko : Monfils comes back from injury, Davydenko lost to Chiudinelli in Dubai, I trust more Melzer, who won Memphis, but who still has a broken toe and sometimes back problems

- QF : Del Potro or Ferrer or Verdasco

- SF : Nadal (or Tsonga, Tipsarevic, Dolgopolov ...)

Let's go Roger !!!

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for starting it duong.

I'll try and post more in the Fed forum, but it doesn't seem so lively and active as a couple of years ago :awww:

#19 ·
I'll try and post more in the Fed forum, but it doesn't seem so lively and active as a couple of years ago :awww:
I always wonder about this as well considering the fact that there are still many Roger fans around on MTF. Obviously the majority prefers to post on GM - which I can't understand at all when you think about the state of the forum there. Then of course there are people who have left MTF meanwhile or just post occasionally.

Thanks for starting the thread, duong :)

A draw ususally always opens up so we have to wait and take round by round. Raonic is surely on a great run this season so far and will be dangerous, especially considering that Roger has never played against him so far.

But I'm pretty sure Roger won't underestimate him and Milos also might be a bit nervous having to play against Roger for the first time. Beside this Roger played in Dubai against players who can serve really well (Lopez and Del Potro). One thing is for sure though - he can't allow himself to waste as many BPs as he did against Isner a few weeks ago...

#3 ·
bad draw for Rogie here .Fed struggles more and more with big servers and Raonic match could be a nightmare . Melzer if gets to R4 means he plays great and Jurgen is also a bad match up for Roger . Than Delpo thing, with more and more matches between these two Delpo has bigger chance, he is too good to lose 3 times in 4 weeks or so to the same player and again even if he gets to semis nadal complex :facepalm: . not optimistic about this one

#5 ·
So - about Raonic I believe his serve is not enough, anche he is the weakest copy of Delpo - he doesn't move too well and his backhand is not so good so Fed with his inside-out can create to him many problems and if Raonic is searching the outside-out for him is difficult to go back to defend the down the line Roger's bachand or inside-in forhend.

I'm not afraid of the other players if RF is well focused

I agree about Delpo. It's dangerous plaing too many time in few time with the same player because he can get used to your speed to take the measures of your game... I'm still sore that Delpo has too many problems with Roger's slice BH and expetially the short one and tactically he hasn't too much weapons to use. I think at the SF in Dubay Roger had wasted many chances to break Delpo and the IW surface is slower so Delpo can't save himself with the serve as he did in Dubai and we sow that Delpo can't read RF's serve and has problem to return well.

About Nadal I know that he can beat him and defeating a tough oponent as Murray gave him much confidence - the only think he needs to beat Nadal. Because we all know he has the tecnique and when he is confident and focused the BH is ok and with many down the line and slices that don't bouce expetially on Rafa's BH he can win.

#4 ·
Thanks for the 3d.
So what I think about the drow of Roger is that maybe it's beter to have some tough matches and arrive at the SF and the F more mobile and with more fire. In 2011 he had easy drows and I had the sensation, he arrived a little bit "turned off" (I hope you understand what I mean with "turned off" ) at the important matches.

#6 ·
Delpo/Fed again. If he gets to Fed and Fed gets to him, that will be 4th time this year, and the 4th consecutive tournament. I don't believe 5 has ever been done.

#8 ·
You're right. I do this when I play. And possibly point by point. Easy to tell difficult in the key moments - fortunately are the times I find my best tennis and I'm more focused.

But when I study my favorites playesr's drow I go over :p

PS- nice gif.

#10 ·
Thanks for starting the thread duong! You can do it Fed :D
Only if he remembers his sirname in the key moments he wuolud be any time confident at 100%, so he would serve well and play well the BH and the voleys. He would be able to read oponent's passing shots expetially of Nadal and Nole because he has palyed with them many times and he knows theyr game well.

#14 ·
So it seems that Roger didn't hit today, just did press. Paul says Roger will start hitting again tomorrow ( according to a fan who is already there)

“I’ve just been confident,” Federer told reporters in the buildup to the first Masters Series event of the year, referring to his impressive run of form since his semifinal loss to Djokovic at last year’s U.S. Open.

“I’ve been playing aggressive, I was focused and I didn’t doubt my ability. I’m defending much better than I was in the middle of last year when I felt like I couldn’t come out of tough defensive positions.

“I was able to sort of turn it around. Now I just have to keep it up.”

Though Federer has not claimed a grand slam singles crown since the 2010 Australian Open, he has piled up 10 ATP World Tour titles during that span.

“I’ve had a great stretch,” said the Swiss, who beat Andy Murray 7-5 6-4 to win the Dubai Championships Saturday. “It’s about keeping up the good work and hopefully playing even better tennis, or at least maintaining this level of playing.”

Federer, a 16-times grand slam winner, has always loved competing in the California desert at Indian Wells.

“This tournament has worked out well for me, winning three titles in a row and playing some of my best tennis here,” said the 30-year-old, who is seeded to meet Nadal in the semifinals.

“I’ve had some great finals, big matches, and I always enjoy playing at Indian Wells. The surface really suits my game, my slice stays low, the kick goes up and the ball travels quickly through the air.”
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Sports/...ck-at-beloved-indian-wells.ashx#ixzz1oTbPr71r

#16 ·
#15 ·
Roger gave an interview for the Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport. Unfortunately you need to have a subscription in order to see the original. This is the longest excerpt that I managed to find. I don't speak Italian but understand Spanish which helped me improve the google translation. Italian speakers, feel free to correct me!
(Btw needless to say I don't share Roger's choice when asked to choose between RN and ND and I was even sorry that I had to translate that part as well! pfffffffft )

Federer: “If I were a kid, I'd prefer Rafa to Nole”

(Vincenzo Martucci, Gazzetta dello Sport 7-3-2012)

It is hard not to fall in love with Roger Federer who is adored by everybody - his colleagues, journalists and fans. A champion, who beyond his unique tennis and style and above 30 years of age but still able to remain at the top of the game, is dedicated to the weakest in the name of his mom Lynette or through Gilette and UNESCO: "I am happy to help others."

Federer's Facebook page has 10 million followers - more than the inhabitants of Switzerland, is he impressed with himself?

"Yes a little bit. Because being a role model is nice. I remember well how important Stefan Edberg and Michael Jordan were when I was a child. Even though sometimes you want to do something that people could not see, like throwing a pebble into a pond, for one thing."

Federer is a myth: the greatest tennis player ever.

"I'm flattered to be considered among the greatest players but it's a vague speech. How many more Grand Slam Rod Laver would have won without the amateur-professional barrier?"

Fans fear: if Federer wins Olympic gold in singles at Wimbledon, will he retire?

"No. I still enjoy a lot playing tennis. Everybody knows how much I've wanted to win that singles gold and that it will be a milestone for my generation. I'll try to be in my best form for that special tournament. But the Olympics will not be the end of everything: there will be other Wimbledon, Roland Garros, U.S. Open, Basel, Bercy in which I'll be able to express myself at my maximum. I'm inspired by what I haven't achieved yet, but more importantly, by the pure joy that drives me to win any tournament. From young age I've wanted to beat only the strongest players in the biggest tournaments. But today I'm a dad, right?"

He appreciates Agassi as a person and as an opponent on the court.

"I was more oriented toward Becker, Edberg, Sampras. Andre also had a two-handed backhand, which I didn't have and was Pete's rival... Then I realized what a beautiful person he is both on and off court. He inspired me with his philanthropy. I admire him."

Agassi has won Miami 6 times, Roger - "only" 2 and in 2004 he lost the first of 18 duels with Nadal (with 9 wins).

"Miami is very dear to me. I played the first Orange Bowl in Key Biscayne. I became number 1 junior beating Nalbandian and Coria. In 2004 I came from Indian Wells where I had beaten Agassi and I had just got sunstroke against Henman. I had heard of Rafa and I saw that he was a special Spaniard not only on clay. I knew he could be number 1 and win a Slam. What we've done since then, our rivalry, the ability to improve and even surpass, getting aware of his physical and mental strength but also always being a threat to him on any surface, are among the things I'm most proud of. "

If he were a kid, who would he have chosen to cheer for - Nadal or Djokovic?

"Rafa: lively, energetic, colorful, a role model for young people."

Do you envy the two players in front of you (in the rankings) who whipped away the Grand Slams?

"I respect them a lot. They play an incredibly-athletic kind of tennis. They are younger. But now I feel better with my body than I did when I was 20-22 years old and I'm happy with what I have. I'd rather like to have a serve... Wham! And the point is finished like Isner, Karlovic, Roddick do. Or perhaps Edberg's volley for the respect I've always had to great volleying players. But what I'd really love to experience is the feeling of a player who scores an important goal in a great stadium with all those people..."

On Thursday there will be crowds on the hard courts in Indian Wells.

"The California desert has its own charm. Back in the days I saw it as a quiet place full of retired people and just a few restaurants and hotels. It wasn't as I imagined tennis tournaments tied to a big city like New York, Paris or Rome. Now we are always glad to come back with my parents, Mirka and the twins."

Does anything change from the hard courts of Dubai to those in the USA?

"It's always warm but since I've started living half the year in Dubai I don't suffer from the heat anymore. But I suffer from the cold even though I'm a Swiss! However the courts will be slower, the surfaces in general are always slower. So you play more and more a physical kind of tennis and go less to the net."

Did he watch the final of the Australian Open between Djokovic and Nadal?

"I don't usually watch the finals of the others. This time I was at the park with the girls. Anyway when I heard how long it was, I was happy that I didn't play it... But this was fantastic for tennis."

These arms of iron from the baseline look like a video game.

"I come from a different tennis generation when we didn't neutralize each other only from the baseline. Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and I all play mainly from the baseline but we are very different. What we have in common is our extraordinary consistency."

Does Federer depend on the hard courts having won on them 33 matches out of the last 35?

"It is rather due to the confidence that has grown since the end of 2011 and not because I took advantage of the situation. I'm just playing well and I hope to continue doing it."

After Miami it's time for Monte Carlo. Will he ask for a wild-card?

"It's one of my favorite tournaments. I have not entered it yet because I have to see how I'll feel after the United States (...)

Reactions: Fed_Ds
#17 ·
^^^Doubt that. That little mark from the cyst or whatever he had earlier this year isnt there on that pic :shrug:

I was wondering why no one opened the IW thread in here, guess people are worried about jinxing their man :D as was I!

Hope you bring Roger luck duong, GOOD LUCK FED. Its a hard draw but just try your best!:rocker2:
Hopp!

#20 ·
Federer focused on success at Indian Wells

By Greg Heakes (AFP)

INDIAN WELLS, California — Roger Federer heads into the Indian Wells tournament riding a modest win streak and hoping to recapture the magic that saw him win three straight in the California desert from 2004-2006.

The 16-time Grand Slam winner has already clinched a pair of titles in 2012, winning the last two tournaments he has entered in Rotterdam and last week in Dubai.

"For me it has been good, my body has been taking a beating but it is holding up well," said Federer Wednesday as he prepared for his opening match in the Indian Wells men's draw which begins Thursday.

"I don't think I have over-played, but I have played enough. I have to be careful I do everything right not to get injured."

Federer clinched his fifth Dubai Open title and 72nd career ATP Tour crown Saturday with an impressive 7-5, 6-4 win over Andy Murray.

"I have been feeling really good out there and it is nice going on to the court on the big points and knowing exactly what you want to do and what you can do and what you can't do." Federer said. "If you don't play enough you forget all those things. It can be a bit of a blur."

The world No. 3 turned 30 last August and says with age comes wisdom and the realization that you can't go full speed off the court if you want to remain at the top of the rankings.

"I used to do skiing, playing tennis, squash and soccer and you are like 'I can't believe I just did that and now my knee hurts and I can't move anymore,'" adding he was a vegetarian when he was younger so has always watched what he eats.

"I did my fair share of mistakes earlier. As time goes by you don't have the same energy level so you start cutting back and getting other interests that aren't so brutal on the body. And eventually you get to the time, where I am in right now, and you just don't do any other sports except tennis.

"I have to protect my body. I just have to practise well and stay injury free. Every player goes through a phase like that where your career becomes too important to you and you don't want to get injured doing something stupid."

Last year at Indian Wells, Federer lost in the semi-finals to Novak Djokovic. He reached the final of the French Open and the semis of the US Open and the Aussie Open but injuries also took their toll as 2011 marked the first time since 2002 the Swiss star did not capture at least one Grand Slam.

The third seeded Federer is in a tricky quarter of the draw that includes a number of players who could pose a threat to him.

Federer plays the winner of Russian Dmitry Tursunov and American wild card Denis Kudla in his second-round opener.

His section of the draw includes four of the ATP's top five match win leaders this season, comprising David Ferrer (18 wins), Federer (16), Juan Martin del Potro (16) and Milos Raonic (15).

He says his win in Dubai helped boost his confidence because he didn't go into it expecting to do all that well.

"I didn't expect to win in Dubai to be quite honest," Federer said. "I had a lot on my plate with the Davis Cup and Rotterdam. Dubai has always been the type of tournament where you play really well or not play well. It can be over really quickly.

"The first couple rounds were big for me and I ended up playing a great semis and a great final and really well in difficult conditions. I came out of Dubai feeling better than I felt at the end of Rotterdam."

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.ea5ac78be4756c25b0f5c61782c49ad4.1e1

#28 ·
A semi final appearance would be great. He'd save his points and not spoil the lead he's got this year. Very much possible but I won't go beyond that.

And now that you've said it, please urge the umpire to use the time-violation prompt against Rafa if you meet in the semis.

good luck.

#31 ·
Hi Luna, you have my same name.

I don't know when is he going to play, but not before the 2ond round that starts saturday evening - after the 8pm swiss (italina german, french) time that is 11am in IW. The time difference is +9 for us.
Cosider that Rger never starts in the morning so in Europe is night all time he playes.
So he will play or saturday oe sunday night for us.
Tomorrow morning we can see the OOP.
If someone has more info please post it.

#34 ·
#39 ·
stuff from today
Tenis Extra ‏ @TenisExtra

Roger Federer comienza a entrenar en Indian Wells. yfrog.com/mmiqyexj. La cobertura de @EnriqueNoticias. 36m

Jonathan Overend‏@5livetennis
Massive crowds, packing the stands to capacity, to watch Federer practice. Probably 2000. Biggest draw on the grounds.
Jorge Sabbagh ‏ @JorgeSabbagh

ROGER FEDERER practicando con Richard Gasquet #Tennis #ATP #bnppo12 #PalmDesert #IndianWells #Roger #Federer