Mens Tennis Forums banner

"Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno statue taken down

13K views 120 replies 28 participants last post by  buddyholly 
#1 · (Edited)
The sports world has been rocked the last few days by the reports of Coaching legend Joe Paterno, who has been in charge of Penn State football for 40 plus years is caught in the middle of a horrific child sexual abuse scandal involving former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who was a legend before his 1999 retirement for the stout Penn State defenses over the years.

There are calls for Joe Paterno to step down immediately for turning a blind eye as a 10-year old boy was ***** in the Penn State locker room showers by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky in 2002. Paterno is claiming that he was unaware of the situation and that eye-witness and current assistant Mike McQueary did not make clear what Sandusky was doing. The question is why didn't McQueary do anything to stop Sandusky if he witnessed the ****. All he did was contact Joepa who in turned contacted the AD and then nothing happened. Sandusky had access to the teams locker rooms as recently as last week according to some. How can McQueary have witnessed this and then be ok with Sandusky still being around the program for years(he was, reports are that Sandusky continued to bring kids to practice after the 2002 incident). There are now 8 other victomes who are coming out and alledging that Sandusky abused them. Awful situation and as ESPN put it "Joepa's run at Happy Valley always had a magical air to it, until now".

former player under Sandusky Matt Millen shares his thoughts This was heartbreaking to watch because I have never been a Millen fan but to see him break down on national TV was tough. He was cruched because he had trusted Sandusky.

Jerry Sandusky

Mike McQueary

Joe Paterno

what are your thoughts? Should Joe Paterno be forced out? Does this take away from his former lilly white and legendary legacy?

See less See more
1 3
#4 · (Edited)
Re: "Happy" Valley

College American-rules football.

It's probably hundreds of children this Sandusky guy r*ped. We are essentially talking about a pedophile ring here. The reality is that it seems everyone around Joe Paterno knew exactly what was going on, but decided that their reputation and recruiting was more important than the boys who were being r*ped.

Does that let Joe Pa off the hook? No, he should have done more, gone to the police, and taken definitive action. This happened under his nose and that makes him partially to blame, that this would happen in his domain and that he was so disconnected he never knew what was truly going on and the severity of the circumstances. But, he's ultimately not the person who should take the heat here. He at least said something. He showed concern. No-one else showed concern or cared in the slightest.

It really highlights so much just how much football prestige and reputation comes before morality, comes before any kind of basic human behavior. AD's, coaches, students, boosters, etc. will do anything and everything when it comes to their football, except for the right thing.

#5 ·

Child abuse is extremely common in America, all forms. Whether it's sexual, physical, emotional, it's a serious dilemma in the country as a whole, this story is just an extremely disgusting and egregious indicator of that. Hopefully a serious discussion on the issue of child abuse comes from this, because that is ULTIMATELY the biggest concern here, the state of these boys who were r*ped and also hopefully children who are in abusive situations feeling like they can speak out about what is happening to them. People in general not having shame to speak out about their past.

#87 · (Edited)

South Park's ripping on Penn State was pretty funny last night.

Sad to say but this kind of abuse happens in every sport and it's been going on for decades. The school and other people who covered up for Sandusky doesn't surprise me. Date ****s have always been swept under the rug to protect star players, what makes people think this would be any different?

Child abuse is extremely common in America, all forms.
Yes, child abuse is another one of those fucked up American phenoms the rest of the world doesn't have to worry about, like obesity and crazies with guns.

#7 · (Edited)

I just read the jury report and the 2002 incident was not the only time Sandusky had been witnessed with a boy in the shower. A janitor witnessed oral sex in the shower in 2000 and said "I fought in Korea and saw peoples brain blown out and what I saw in the shower is right up there with things I will never forget". The janiotr reported it to his superior who reported it to yet another superior and this is when the situation died because they were all afriad of losing their jobs. Sandusky was reportedly seen driving slowly in a car outside the janitor building at 3am shortly after this, likely death threats were made in Sandusky knew he had been witnessed.

This particular case never saw the light of day and only a handfl of people knew about it, Paterno not included.

Evidence piling up and nobody did a thing. This guy created an organization to help kids and used it to satisfy his perverted desires.

#8 ·

Paterno will retire at the end of the season. Great deal for him. If he resigned now he would always be connected with this scandal, but since he is waiting he will get enough time to go out a hero which is not what he deserves at this point.

Paterno's son is playing the senile card "Dad gets lost moving the lawn".

#9 ·

Huge story. Penn State will never be the same again.

So the NCAA got their own Bill Tilden. Thankfully Tilden did his crap so long ago it didn't damage tennis that bad.

Of course Paterno made a huge mistake. And so did Curley and the other high ranking people at Penn State. But it's actually funny how he now apologizes and says stuff like "I wish I had done more". No shit. It's also quite incredible how the students are marching in support of Paterno. What the hell? What's next? They will be marching in support of Sandusky?

The thing I don't get is that McQuery saw it happen in 2002 and told Paterno the next day. He obviously realized along the way that nothing is gonna happen. Why didn't he go to the police? How can you live with this?

By the way, has any of you seen the late shows this week? Are Dave and Jay been talking about this during the monologue?

#10 ·

I go to Penn State, and the past week has been insane. I don't think Paterno should have been forced out. I don't understand why he isn't receiving the benefit of the doubt after 40 years of spotless service. We don't know what McQueary told him. We don't know if he followed up with his superiors. But why would I think he did something to endanger children with his track record? What points to that being in his DNA?

Mr. Michael, a lot of what you said is just plain dumb. Penn State isn't just Penn State football. We're one of the top public schools in the entire world. Not country, world. Recruiters from fortune 500 companies rated us the #1 school in the country to hire from. We have the worlds largest student run philanthropy, THON. This changes none of that.

I'll be at the game on Saturday, and I will be as loud and supportive of my school as I ever have been. I'll celebrate the life and career of a man who made Penn State what it is today, and I'll do it proudly.

#11 ·

Mr. Michael, a lot of what you said is just plain dumb. Penn State isn't just Penn State football.
Of course it isn't and of course it continues to be one of the top schools, no doubt about it. But for many years to come the word "Penn State" will be linked with this story. Like it or not. Still it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a great school and it won't change anything regarding that.

Joe Paterno fucked up. I really can't understand anybody who defends him. I mean for christ sake it's just semantics what McQuery told him or didn't tell him. There was obviously something pretty serious going on. And wasn't there already some kind of investigation with this Sandusky creep in the year 1998? Paterno isn't stupid. What were they thinking with those actions they took after hearing about it? They did virtually nothing. Paterno can't defend his actions and neither can Tim Curley, Gary Schulz or Graham Spanier. It doesn't matter if Paterno had lived for 150 years a clean American dream, he fucked up big time.

#40 ·

I read your post again and it's just crap. I hope those idiots who are now protesting, will someday realize how dumb they are.
You didn't grow up in Pennsylvania, and clearly have never gone to a large university where there are large amounts of pride. The rioting was dumb, agreed, but people who don't go here, or didn't go here, simply do not understand what Joe Paterno meant. He was everyone's father. The entire campus was in a daze today.

I reread your first post also, and clearly you've merely listened to mass media and didn't look for any facts in the case. The semantics of what McQuery said are very important. And yes, there was an investigation, of which the lead investigator in the case CLEARY HAS STATED that Paterno had no knowledge and no charges were filed against Sandusky. I don't mind people being of the opinion that Paterno should have been fired, but you better not decide that without facts.

The media has made this into a Joe Paterno story and a bash Penn State story, when that really should not have been the focus. There's been no mention of the thousands of students who peacefully sang our Alma Mater at Old Main in sorrow. There's been no mention of the candle light vigil in support of the victims of these terrible crimes where 8-10 thousand students will come together. There's been no mention of the football game being changed to a blue out, with thousands of students buying blue t-shirts to benefit a charity that helps **** and incest victims. None of that is newsworthy, because people like you don't have anyone to crucify then.

Go ahead and say my post is crap, I'll continue to stand by my university.

Still a proud Penn Stater.

#113 ·

You didn't grow up in Pennsylvania, and clearly have never gone to a large university where there are large amounts of pride. The rioting was dumb, agreed, but people who don't go here, or didn't go here, simply do not understand what Joe Paterno meant. He was everyone's father. The entire campus was in a daze today.

I reread your first post also, and clearly you've merely listened to mass media and didn't look for any facts in the case. The semantics of what McQuery said are very important. And yes, there was an investigation, of which the lead investigator in the case CLEARY HAS STATED that Paterno had no knowledge and no charges were filed against Sandusky. I don't mind people being of the opinion that Paterno should have been fired, but you better not decide that without facts.

The media has made this into a Joe Paterno story and a bash Penn State story, when that really should not have been the focus. There's been no mention of the thousands of students who peacefully sang our Alma Mater at Old Main in sorrow. There's been no mention of the candle light vigil in support of the victims of these terrible crimes where 8-10 thousand students will come together. There's been no mention of the football game being changed to a blue out, with thousands of students buying blue t-shirts to benefit a charity that helps **** and incest victims. None of that is newsworthy, because people like you don't have anyone to crucify then.

Go ahead and say my post is crap, I'll continue to stand by my university.

Still a proud Penn Stater.
So, seven months have gone by and now the FACTS are pretty much out there. Is JoePa still that great and innocent?

The Paterno statue is coming down. Too bad he isn't around to witness it.

#13 ·
Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno OUT after 46 years

reports are that there are groups of Penn State students that are starting to riot in response to the news.

#14 ·

reports are that there are groups of Penn State students that are starting to riot in response to the news.
Over a scandal within the football department including allegations of pedophilia. God bless America :facepalm:

#15 ·

yeah its absurdity. They just talked to a reporter who got hit by a thrown rock. A van was truned over,lights are being torn down and one reporter said "a stampede like the running of the bulls happened out of nowhere".

there aim is to get Joepa one more game

#17 ·

Watching CNN & ESPN for the last half hour. Students rioting :smash:

#21 ·

So, boys and girls, what have we learned today?

In America, football>child abuse in the eyes of millions. I weep for our society.
This is what happens when athletes and coaches become gods. You see this all over the place. Athletes who have committed all sorts of crimes are still cheered because they are good at the sports.

#26 ·

affirmative. he really should have been let go ages ago. nobody deserves to be a coach at the same university for nealry 50 years. they should have brought in somebody young and progressive 10 years ago.

university will pay a steep price for this now.

there will be a drop in funding and the top talents in football will go to other schools. and it will go on and on.

#27 ·
#29 ·

McQueary was on a recruiting trip when this story broke. Wonder how that trip worked out? I can't believe McQueary still has a job. People are saying he's going to need an army of police on the sideline for the game Saturday.

Another crazy story out of all this. District Attorney who looked into allegations in 1998, has been missing since 2005.

interesting. its not often that district attorneys go missing.

#31 ·

First question asked at the press conference was who would coach Saturday's game :help:

#32 ·

The main person to blame was Spanier and Curley as the seniors in charge. Paterno's gone to them, but the chain ends with them.

Of course he could have done more.

BTW students rioting is normal, they did it here (but our riots were justified)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.