Mens Tennis Forums banner

2010 Photo Thread: Because Love, Beauty and Bespoke Tailoring will save the world!!

493K views 1K replies 93 participants last post by  myrt 
#1 · (Edited)
In honour of Marat's setting sail for horizons new, I hereby launch this thread!

11 June 2009, Naberezhnye Chelny, Tatarstan.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Traditional Gaelic blessing

See less See more
#410 · (Edited)
here's one I just found on twitter... can't believe he lost. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the pic, Sherri. :hug: I know. :awww: :rolleyes: And to think he played a reasonably close match against Delpo only four months ago! It's amazing how much match fitness can be lost in such a relatively short time. If Marat intends to play a lot of seniors events, he'll no doubt see the need to maintain his fitness at a level at which he can compete and not disgrace himself. I guess this loss is either a rude awakening or par for the course - Courier lost to Wilander yesterday, and I don't think anyone saw that coming either!

From yesterday's match, Rio Champions website (plus one from Daylife)

#420 ·
Hi, Monkeytattoo.
Thank you for the pictures.:)
I have good memories of that time.
I admire the respect and friendship that they have for each other. You can see in the picture, that they are smiling and drinking, in spite of rivalry on the court. They are examples of true athletes.
I really loved those pictures, I still had not seen.

;*

#423 · (Edited)
One more pic of Marat immortalising his handprint, belatedly
, for the Maracanãzinho Walk of Fame.
According to Terra Brasil, Marat claimed to have had one too many caipirinhas the night before problems with the traffic.

Thanks brazuca5copas for the original link. :yeah:

Hi, Monkeytattoo. Thank you for the pictures. :)
Thank you so much for all the Rio pictures monkey tattoo and brazuca5copas and everyone.
:hug: You're welcome, guys! Not sure when we'll be seeing Marat next, there's Kazan at the end of March, followed by Atlantic City in early April ...

#421 ·
http://globoesporte.globo.com/Espor...O+TENIS+DEIXAM+MARCAS+NA+CALCADA+DA+FAMA.html

Rio de Janeiro, Sunday, 14 March 2010

Gustavo Kuerten, Fernando Meligeni, Thomaz Koch and former world No. 1 Jim Courier and
Mats Wilander are eternalized in the Maracanãzinho "Walk of Fame".

On Sunday, in an emotional ceremony, the five players left the marks of their hands in casts.

One of the honorees, however, did not attend. Marat Safin, who also reached the top
of the world rankings and was the main attraction of this edition of the Rio Champions,
lost track of the time and missed the event in court
. The Russian came to the gym shortly
after the ceremony and, in the VIP area, recorded the marks of his hands.
Tsk, tsk, naughty Marat. :rolleyes:

#427 · (Edited)
#430 ·
#431 ·
:sobbing: I wanted one! Oh well, I had the 100% Safinete experience after that. I'm kind old to be a good stalker, I was so lazy to try to reach him to get a pic. or autograph. i was hoping to get it until the end of the weekend, but I was in denial as usual and even think about the early exit. Anyways, at least I saw him live, playing and got some pics. I tought I would never post them here! They are not the best, but I hope you like them! :)

More to come!

Reactions: AnnieNik and KarlyM
#438 ·
Wonderful pics, Ales Alessandra, thanks for posting! :worship: I love the zoom on this one ... :hearts:

PS: I'm very happy for the zoom on cameras! :awww:

:sobbing: I wanted one! Oh well, I had the 100% Safinete experience after that. I'm kind of old to be a good stalker, I was so lazy to try to reach him to get a pic or autograph ...
They should just open a Marat Safin consolation kissing booth at these seniors events. :p Marat might start winning matches if he knew he had to pucker up for hordes of "sympathetic" Safinettes after a loss ... :scared: :rolls:

Btw, I reposted the two flickr dubs pics on the previous page in XXL, after discovering if you tack "_o" or "_b" onto the end of the photo URL (before .jpg), occasionally the pic comes up in a larger size that's not always shown on the flickr page. (this is probably old news to seasoned flickr users)

#436 · (Edited)
Hello, all!

Every once in awhile as I'm editing photos, I'll stumble upon an old file and rework a shot from years ago. This was taken in 2008, but I've given it a new 2010 twist. Feel free to right-click and choose "Set As Desktop Background." It looks fantastic centered @ regular size (not stretched or tiled) against a black backdrop.

Since His Royal Hotness isn't gracing us with his presence as often anymore, we'll just have to make do with him glaring at us on our computer screens!

Cheers,
A.

#440 ·
Great pics everyone - love the "re-work" aj*smile. :)

PS. Anyone else find themselves thinking of "what might have been" with Marat after Ivan L (at age 31 :eek:) won IW yesterday??
YES!!! I actually 'tweeted'(? lol) something to that effect yesterday while watching. I kept thinking that if he had stuck it out (well, had the drive to stick it out, not just shown up like he had been doing) perhaps he could have won another tournament before he retired... oh well... :shrug:

#441 ·
All, thanks!

And, Maratsmaiden -- glad to see you liked the shot in your avatar. That one is my photography as well ;). Different setting, but same intensity. If only all my subjects were as photogenic!

Incidentally . . . I'm on a mission to find the next interesting photo subject for the US hardcourt season. Feli is pretty, but sometimes looks a little goofy on camera. Verdasco is a dream to photograph . . . a good mix of laughter and intensity from him! Haas is good, and Federer is striking in the right time and place. I like DelPo a lot as a player, but his charisma doesn't translate as well to the lens. Any other suggestions? Who is under-the-radar that I've missed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.