Mens Tennis Forums banner

Europe/Africa Group I 1st Round: Portugal at Slovenia (Jan 31- Feb 02, 2014)

8K views 114 replies 16 participants last post by  Trollin Stone 
#1 · (Edited)

It'll be huge for Portugal to win there. I think that Portugal team is already official: João Sousa, Gastão Elias, Pedro Sousa and Rui Machado. New Davis Cup captain, let's see what he can bring of new to our national team.

See less See more
#3 ·
Bedene is not playing. Zemlja definitely not playing singles, only doubles maybe if he's fit.

Kavcic is playing for sure and Rola is yet to confirm, he's not decided yet. The rest I have no idea about. I hope Semrajc plays, he sure can beat anyone in the POR team.

#4 ·
Kavcic is playing for sure and Rola is yet to confirm, he's not decided yet. The rest I have no idea about. I hope Semrajc plays, he sure can beat anyone in the POR team.
Yeah, sure. :lol:

#8 · (Edited)
Who said he'd be the favorite? I just said that he COULD beat anyone of them, because none of them are really any good. Or good enough to guarantee you a win. Semrajc has never played a full season because he's been ill and injured his entire career, so he can't improve his ranking all that much, but he's got the game that can blow away many players.

Slovenia literally had no team in 2005, all your players were ranked hundreds of places ahead of ours. And even so Tkalec beat Machado who was ranked 500 spots ahead him.

#9 ·
Who said he'd be the favorite? I just said that he COULD beat anyone of them, because none of them are really any good. Or good enough to guarantee you a win. Semrajc has never played a full season because he's been ill and injured his entire career, so he can't improve his ranking all that much, but he's got the game that can blow away many players.
If you want to talk like that, Pedro Sousa can beat anyone of Slovenia, even Bedene. No doubts on that.

#12 ·
Slovenia will play with Kavcic, Semraj, Urbanija and Desman.

#13 ·
Rola, Bedene and Zemlja not playing!!! What a wonderful chance to go to WG playoffs!
Again the doubles will be crucial, as Kavcic is the favourite in his singles matches.
I´m a bit worried that Elias won´t play as he´s playing in Colombia this week...His presence is very important, specially in the doubles match.
Our new captain can get a great start at the job with an away victory, in a very difficult ground!
The main thing is getting the spirits up and live the joy of a team competition!
Go Portugal!!!

#14 ·
Yeah, Slovenia has basically only Kavcic, but we don't have Pedro and we sure won't have Gastao in the best of physical shape. Also Joao is not playing great either, in this begining of season. Thankfully for us, this will be a 50-50 tie. Hope our bigger experience will prevail.

#15 ·
Gastão isn't in the best of physical shape? Why? I'm serious, I don't really know why.

#16 ·
Shame on you Trolla and Bedene. Hope karma bites you in the ass for withdrawing. Should still beat POR, though.

Why are you PORs saying that Kavcic is the favorite in both matches? Sousa is ranked much better. At the same time you were getting all whiny when I said Semrajc can beat anyone...

#18 ·
Kavcic bt Elias(1-0 SVN)
Sousa bt Semjrac (1-1)

Sousa/Machado bt Kavcic/Urbanija (2-1 POR)

Kavcic bt Sousa (2-2)
Elias by Semjrac (3-2 POR)

How on earth is this a WG tie? Such a mug tie.

#19 · (Edited)
I saw the matches from Elias in Bucaramanga and he seems in good shape, although he lost in R2. He´s confirmed for the tie so, i´m happy!:D
I believe he´ll play the doubles match, but not sure about the singles. If Machado is in good form, he should play at least one rubber.
Watching the match record for Semrajc, you can see he only plays clay tournaments. Is that a sign that he, or his body, doesn´t like hard courts?
Go Portugal!

#21 ·
What kind of surface is Supersoft W.S?

#23 ·
I went to google Semrajc cause I did not know much about him. He barely played outside clay in his entire career. Not even 3% of his pro matches were outside clay. He has promising results in the dirt, though. But this is going to be in Indoor Hard, so I'm not sure if this is the best option for Slovenia. Hopefully it isn't :p

#25 ·
Nuno Marques told to Record that he is putting Sousa and Elias in singles and doubles. Machado should stand as a joker for the fifth rubber if needed. Nuno also told that Zemlja is hitting with the team, so only after the draw you can be certain of who is playing... I thought that only in case of injury you coul substitute with non nominated player, but Roger wasn´t nominated for switzerland, and he is playing... Anyone can explain?

#27 ·
From Daviscup.com:
«Slovenia fans, I have to tell you that Tom Kocevar-Desman is out of the team's Europe/Africa Zone Group I tie against Portugal. He is being replaced by Grega Zemlja. The winner of that tie plays Israel in the second round in April - and those teams will then fight for a place in the World Group Play-Off»
Sneaky, slovenians and swiss´s. Hope the team gets even more eager to win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.