Mens Tennis Forums banner

The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

14K views 209 replies 44 participants last post by  PronounGOAT 
#1 ·
Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.

#2 ·
Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck ÂŁ10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.

#10 ·
Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)

#3 ·
UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.

#4 ·
Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.

#5 ·
Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.

#6 ·
Got a few of my boxing mates into it now. They initially had a some reservations about the ground game, but they've grown to appreciate it.

#7 ·
Lot of my friends are doing this now, interesting some come from boxing grounds and struggle with grappling and vice versa.

#8 ·
Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year. :help:

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.

#9 ·
I'm sure there are problems. There are many misconceptions about the sport of MMA. Both logically and statistically, it is safer than boxing. There are many different ways to win an MMA match. The goal in boxing, however, is to pound your opponent to the head and body with 16 ounce gloves, which actually cause a fighter to take more sustained damage.

I think there are a few reasons for the misconceptions. Firstly, UFC bouts take place in a cage. Without having seen an MMA fight, that sounds brutal to the uninitiated. In reality, it's no more brutal than a fight taking place in a boxing ring. Secondly, there's still a stigma attached as a result of the early, no-holds-barred days of the UFC. Now, that was vicious. The sport is nothing like it was then.

#16 ·
I like KenFlo, seems to be a smart guy in addition to his nice skills. Though the punch towards the opponent after the win is a bit lame IMO.

Happy that Penn won, can't stand Sanchez for some reason. Maybe it's the whole Jesus thing.

#17 ·
Maaaaan I was watching the end of Penn/Sanchez just as I wrote that message above and now saw Diego's cut... That's NASTY. Biggest I've ever seen.

#19 ·
You hit the nail on the head with that comment :lol:

#20 ·
Speaking of videogames, anyone else have the UFC Undisputed 2009 game? It's pretty nice, though the career mode gets a "bit" repetitive after successfully completing it a few times. Additionally, if you want to create a superfighter, you basically have to reload every time you fail to get max points in sparring sessions etc...

But it's a cool game, really takes some skill and you can't win just by hitting the buttons randomly.

#21 ·
Have to bump this after UFC 140 last night.

Great fights and brutal submission by Mir, why Nogueira didn't tap out is a mystery.

#23 ·
Incredible event. Big Nog did tap after his shoulder/elbow popped, but he should really have tapped sooner. Mir is known for breaking bones if he gets a hold of a limb.

No one is beating Jones any time soon.

#24 ·
Jones is a freak of nature, I still can't grasp the proportions of his body. His limbs are so long it's ridiculous.

Would like to see him fight Silva.

#25 ·
jon jones is by far and away the greatest athlete alive today. period.

ufc 140... phenomenal card :drink::hatoff::smoke:

#31 ·
Yeah, I think the guy is incredible at what he does. I just don't like him, though. I have gone off Greg Jackson too since hearing this. Very disingenuous.

#36 ·
I'm gonna say that to Henry after he wins his first round in the Pop Contest.

'Henry! Henry Chinaski! Henry Chinaski! Go check on jcempire, get some fans!'

#38 ·
Brock Lesnar would still have to be near the top of the biggest cockchimps in MMA.

#43 ·
Overeem :worship:. Vicious striking! My ribs almost cracked just watching that.

#44 ·
I'm a bit disappointed with the match. I expected Lesnar to go for the takedown especially since he must have known Overeem would knee and kick any chance he gets.

To me it almost looked like he tanked the match once he got a taste of the Reems power. He began to turtle right away just like he did for parts vs Carwin and Velasquez. It's not like an experienced fighter like Overeem would gas out or anything. Lesnar had a shitty gameplan and should have done something. Even if a takedown attempt had been stuffed by the Reem that would at least get Alistair thinking and maybe not use knees and kicks so much.

Sure Lesnar might be a beast physically and have awesome wrestling but tbh he's not a natural fighter. He doesn't like to trade shots and when he doesn't like to get hit. Things probably didn't get better from his medical problems and surgery he did. Retiring was a good decision for him. If he doesn't have the will and passion anymore and even look a bit scared in the octagon he shouldn't be there.

Other things I enjoyed was Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson finishing another fight vs an experienced opponent. Extra cool since Sweden will get it's first UFC event in April now in 2012. I don't want to jump the gun or anything but maybe 2 more wins and he could be in line for a title shot. If he wins his next fight I could see him getting any of Rashad/Rampage/Shogun/Machida. Win there to and he is in line for a shot at Jon Jones. But yeah its a long way to go still

#45 ·
Yeah I also thought it was weird Brock didn't try to take Overeem down more aggressively but maybe he thought that he might get caught if he went in recklessly.

I was rooting for Gustafsson as well :yeah:. Nice style. Hope he improves and gets a shot at the title.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.