Mens Tennis Forums banner

2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez!

96K views 2K replies 44 participants last post by  Gillouthe best 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy New Year to everyone!

Here we go again. 2013 Season begins...This year a new adventure for Gilles as he's going solo. Hopefully, he's healthy and ready. I'm preparing for another roller coaster ride as long as the ride isn't too bumpy for the stomach ;).

First stop, Brisbane.

(1) Andy Murray (GBR) vs Bye
Tatsuma Ito (JPN) vs Qualifier
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs (WC) Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
(8) Martin Klizan (SVK) vs Denis Istomin (UZB)

(4) Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) vs Bye
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs Qualifier
(5) Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs Marinko Matosevic (AUS)

(6) Florian Mayer (GER) vs Santiago Giraldo (COL)
(WC) Benjamin Mitchell (AUS) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Qualifier vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
(3) Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Bye

(7) Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs Qualifier
(WC) Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs David Goffin (BEL)
Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs Brian Baker (USA)
(2) Milos Raonic (CAN) vs Bye

Allez Gilles!

See less See more
#392 ·
Well, it's nice he's got lucky this season with draws, and he can keep a top-15 status ATM even playing crap tennis, and then better game wise days will come. I think Benny will beat him tomorrow, but I don't know, after all it's Gilles who we are talking about.

#395 ·
Re: 2013 Winter European Indoors, Allez!

Gilles was the better player the whole match, just choked on the big points. I didn't think he played that poorly except when he got tight. The good thing about Benneteau is he'll give Gilles a target sometimes which should help hone his groundstrokes a little bit. Decent serving again I thought, solid movement. Just needs to work on break point conversion and get a little more confident in going for his shots.

#397 ·

To add to what I just said. He's been having those issues that affected his serve so much in the past 6 mths. His serve is normally his weakest point anywya and when confidence goes, usually your weakness got magnified. But he's been serving pretty well by his standard. So another point that's why I don't think confidence is the only issue for the shitty groundies.

#400 ·

To add to what I just said. He's been having those issues that affected his serve so much in the past 6 mths. His serve is normally his weakest point anywya and when confidence goes, usually your weakness got magnified. But he's been serving pretty well by his standard. So another point that's why I don't think confidence is the only issue for the shitty groundies.
I will say this. When you're tight or lacking belief or confidence in your game it can effect various parts of said game. For some players it effects all of their game, but for others, sometimes it effects only certain parts of their game and only at certain points during the match (i.e. break points/set points etc.). Some players lose their good footwork and movement. Some players lose their service rhythm and some people, like Gilles, can't keep or feel like they can't keep the ball in play so they take a lot off of their shots in order to keep the ball in the court. That is my belief as to why Gilles is hitting such soft shots right now. He feels that is what he has to do to keep from making errors. He feels that if he hits the ball harder and goes for his shots, he's going to miss them more than he will make them and he doesn't want to risk it.

#403 · (Edited)

I will say this. When you're tight or lacking belief or confidence in your game it can effect various parts of said game. For some players it effects all of their game, but for others, sometimes it effects only certain parts of their game and only at certain points during the match (i.e. break points/set points etc.). Some players lose their good footwork and movement. Some players lose their service rhythm and some people, like Gilles, can't keep or feel like they can't keep the ball in play so they take a lot off of their shots in order to keep the ball in the court. That is my belief as to why Gilles is hitting such soft shots right now. He feels that is what he has to do to keep from making errors. He feels that if he hits the ball harder and goes for his shots, he's going to miss them more than he will make them and he doesn't want to risk it.
True.
Whatever it is, he's aware of his problem, he'll resolve it at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later. And he didn't hit like an amateur, I exaggerated just to get the point thru. He was actually better that the last time I watched him, which was in Montpellier against Davi, horrible ground game in the first set for absolutely no reason.

And getting rid of Tutu to force himself to not take his frustration out at his box is also not working. Maybe he should tell his ppl to not sit at the box at all so he can't direct his frustration to anyone. Not sure if that would help him though. Oh well.

Benny will be very tough, considering where Gilles' game at. Benny is full of confidence, he was very happy about his game after beating Hanescu, so I can bet how much a confidence boost it is for beating Fed here. The last time they played, Benny beating Gilles at AO 2012, Benny said it was the best match he played thus far (probably it's now replaced by this win today). I think beating Gilles it's always Benny's pleasure (bcos they did have a little bit of a rift back then). But anyway, Benny will be in full force, Gilles will really need to up his game somewhat to overcome Benny if he wants to win.

#399 ·

But anyway, we can argue all day and it'll still be speculating the issue here. So it's rather pointless. Whatever it is, I hope Gilles works it out soon. It's annoying to see him hit his groundies like this.

#402 ·

I'm sure Gilles would disagree with me but I don't think he played so bad. On the big points he certainly held back on his shots but overall, I think it was a good strategy to make Klizan overhit the ball. No use in making silly errors when Klizan was missing a lot. I'm not as disappointed as everyone else.

Also, I'm probably in the minority but I would have rather had him play Federer next. He would have had nothing to lose and could just go for his shots like he usually does and maybe get some more confidence to go for winners. Now against Benneteau he'll be a nervous wreck, I'm not sure he has a better chance against Benny than he would have had against Fed.

#405 ·

Also, I'm probably in the minority but I would have rather had him play Federer next. He would have had nothing to lose and could just go for his shots like he usually does and maybe get some more confidence to go for winners. Now against Benneteau he'll be a nervous wreck, I'm not sure he has a better chance against Benny than he would have had against Fed.
I'm with you on this. I don't want him to play Benny at all. I know he's going to get very nervous tomorrow playing another Frenchie.

#406 ·

Gilles should have broken in the 1st set, a combination of Klizan slapping some winners and Gilles getting unlucky prevented him from breaking. He had Klizan under pressure on every service game and the pressure eventually told on his body as well as mind.

As I have said I don't think Gilles is playing well, but I'm happy he is battling. I hope he gives it his all in the SF because there is 300 points up for grabs which would be nice to help him stay at least top 20 for the rest of the year.

#408 ·

Bennetau takes the 1st 64, Gilles is playing much better than yesterday IMO , just lacking a bit more of a read on Benny 1st serve. He showed great tennis in the last game,but Benny saved 2 BP's with a 2nd serve Ace and a good play at the volley.

#409 ·

Yes, he's playing much better today, quite well in fact. Benny though, is as well as I've seen him play, let's see if he keep that up.

I'm happy about what I've seen so far, although it would be better if Gilles is on top. Hopefully, he can come back. Allez.

#410 ·

He breaks with some inspired play. He seems to have a physical problem though.

#413 ·

Yeah noticed that too. Let's hope it's not serious.
I do find it hard to watch, I don't know who to cheer for. :(
Somehow it's maybe better for Julien to lose this than to lose the final again. But in order to know if he can beat Delpo he has to get to that final. Anyway, I'm cheering for the Frenchman tomorrow. ;)

#422 ·

And I hate to admit, I love watching him playing injured, he's far more creative when he's hurt :p.
But I hate that he's hurt again, really really sucks. I don't think he can win this one, Benny is far too good today.

#423 ·

Another brilliant game from Gillou :bowdown: , he saved a BP with a 2nd serve Ace, and then made an amzaing BH after an incrdible rally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.