Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3)

160K views 5K replies 29 participants last post by  ProdigyEng 
#1 ·
So many posts, we went through that last one so fast :D

New chat thread :rocker:

#1,128 ·
I need to pick up books from the library. It opens at 10am and I was a bit early and when I reached the parking lot, there were two fire engines and a truck with "Battalion Chief" on it. I was like, OMG, what's wrong? Ended up only they were having a meeting in the meeting room of the library. :p And thanks to them, the library had to open the outside door so I could walk in and got a seat, use the WiFi while waiting for the library door open.

#1,131 ·
Since Mikey is not badrepping me anymore, hardly. :lol:

waiting for his badrep :awww:
I have a badrep now but it's joke badrep from Andrey. I have been my most annoying self on GM lately, it's true, and I keep waiting for a badrep and it never happens. And then I bet that one day, out of the blue in a perfectly fair and reasonable post I am going to get a badrep. :lol:

I have been spending all my bad energy on GM lately, I should probably quit.

#1,132 ·
I really can't understand how this can happen. Remember my trip of hell (the flying part) in December. So I got the airmiles statement and somehow, only parts of the trip show up. Like my flight from Phoenix to Calgary was there, same for Vancouver to Hong Kong but Calgary to Vancouver was missing. It's the same ticket number and same airline :rolleyes: And on the return trip, only Hong Kong to Vancouver showed up. I tried to file the missing miles online and kept getting error messages and had to use the painful system of calling a toll free number, muddled thru the menus and finally fed up and pressed 0 on the phone, waited forever to talk to a human being. At least she's very nice and spoke perfect English. :lol:

#1,139 ·
I did that ALL AFTERNOON... :lol: I also watched the new suits episode, finished Homeland, read 7 chapters in my book.

What I did not do, though was take a shower. I guess I can fit a shower in my busy schedule now. So hey :wavey: I'll be back soon, certainly. :lol:

Please don't be mad at me people. :awww: For complaining too much.

#1,149 ·
http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/...1/Todays-Golfer-Travel-Awards-roll-of-honour/

THE Algarve has emerged Europe’s top golfing destination in the inaugural Today’s Golfer Travel Awards, claiming the main Best Value Golf Destination (Continental Europe) title.

And the pride of Portugal triumphed in style by receiving an impressive 32% of the total number of votes – Turkey finished runners-up with 19% with long established golfing hotspot the Costal del Sol surprisingly languishing in fourth spot behind fellow Spanish region Costa Brava.
why doesn't nole pay me a visit? :(

#1,155 ·
I understand you, I really do :hug:

That's really interesting, I remember learning about life in the Soviet Union during those years, and their involvement during WW2, but never have I considered or studied their involvement in the Spanish Civil War. What's the story? :)

So what is the relationship, if you can summarise it briefly? :p
Can I tell you after I finish it? :lol: At least let me start it. I am not clueless, but I couldn't possibly explain you what I know in words that you would understand. :lol:

#1,179 ·
:lol:

Wait until you really are old!!

Anyway, I don't like to dwell in the past or think the olden days were better. I sometimes get irritated with people who want to glorify the 50s or 60s etc. There were big problems in those eras and things that we never want to return to.

I think that the technology advances are so amazing and I love them. But the social aspects too. I never thought Germany would be reunited and certainly no in my lifetime, and now there are young adults who have no memory of it being divided or the stories of people risking their lives to cross. Or, who would have dreamed in the early 60s that in 50 years there would be a man of african heritage president of the united states? There are many urgent problems to solve now, but I just think it's all better despite the looming and truly hard problems that face us.

Also do you study history? I gathered that you might when you talked about your thesis. This is such an interesting time for history with new documents from the eastern bloc now available for study.

#1,180 ·
I wen to the food fair in this town an hour from here, called Montalegre. I have photos to share later, but first I need you to understand what type of food it was. It was traditional food from this northern region of Portugal, there is word for it but I can't find the right translation, it's "fumeiro". Which is this:

#1,183 ·
Did you have a good time there on the fair?

I don´t know, to me there is more to it than the global situation. I am only now starting to come out of a bit of a rut I was in a year ago and I´m restless, you know? That feeling you have that you have to change something, but you don´t have the faintest clue what. And still, life goes on and before you know it the carefree years are behind you. I don´t know, I have some soulsearching to do.

#1,184 ·
That's because we have been studying for what? 16 or 17 years? That is a lot of time doing the same thing. I know subjects change, schools change, systems change. But truth is, all you do is study. And probably when you get to 22, your mind is over that, you start being too mature for that. Only caring about studying and exams and similar stuff is not enough anymore. But it's bound to change for both of us rather sooner than later. That is the good (?) news.

Also that thing, you know, something you haven't found that is supposed to make you feel fulfilled and complete? Something we think that can be a job, a life partner, a kid, moving to another city/country, starting this or that project? That does not exist. :shrug: Nobody ever feels 100% fulfilled, and if they do, hell they are the luckiest people on earth. When you find that thing, and you may know what it is so you know when you find it, you will find a way to feel incomplete again, to start craving for something else. It's just life.

I mean look at me. For 3 weeks all I wanted was time to relax and do nothing. 2 days into my holidays and I am freaking out because have nothing to do!

Some rare cases apart, the human race is naturally dissatisfied.

#1,186 ·
So the only thing we can do is accept that dissatisfaction and take things as they come? I´m not at that point in my life yet I fear. Because, yes, the studying has gotten tedious by now and it´s crystal clear your academic education need not have any bearing on your (professional) future. Yet, to just roll from uni into a working life is such a lacklustre way to lead your life, as if societal mores would dictate how I live. But, running away from it all through incessant travelling, a project or just blatant hedonism is equally as pointless, in the sense that it would be a reaction to a life that feels to easy and not something appealing in and of itself (not to mention the fact that partying/travelling can be quite empty if you indulge in it too much). In the end, the key is what you said at the end there: we are naturally dissatisfied. And the best way to combat that is to vary things somewhat in your life. Which brings me back to my need to think about what I want and how I wish to accomplish it.

#1,190 ·
So the only thing we can do is accept that dissatisfaction and take things as they come? I´m not at that point in my life yet I fear. Because, yes, the studying has gotten tedious by now and it´s crystal clear your academic education need not have any bearing on your (professional) future. Yet, to just roll from uni into a working life is such a lacklustre way to lead your life, as if societal mores would dictate how I live. But, running away from it all through incessant travelling, a project or just blatant hedonism is equally as pointless, in the sense that it would be a reaction to a life that feels to easy and not something appealing in and of itself (not to mention the fact that partying/travelling can be quite empty if you indulge in it too much). In the end, the key is what you said at the end there: we are naturally dissatisfied. And the best way to combat that is to vary things somewhat in your life. Which brings me back to my need to think about what I want and how I wish to accomplish it.
Exactly. :yeah: But don't get me wrong, you change your life, you get to some place better. But in no time, you will start feeling the exact same way. We are just naturally dissatisfied, we always want more.

#1,187 ·
Oh -- when I was in my late twenties, I happened to see my dog in the back yard looking up at the sky with a big smile on his face. That's when it clicked for me that happiness is in the moment and being in the moment.

Even at my worst times when the worst most unhappy things were happening to me, it's never been 100% unhappiness. I've always been able to find happiness in small things and small moments. These are the things that lift my spirits and make my heart sing.

For me, in my perspective, it's thinking that this thing or that thing will bring happiness. Everything in life is a mixture of happiness and unhappiness. A partner and children bring great joy, but also can bring hardship and problems at the same time. I think that is true of everything. Can you find happiness in the middle of the worst possible thing? I think so. But it's a moment, and it's seizing that moment and appreciating the moment.

It's hard with ambitious people because they are often dissatisfied with their accomplishments and want to do more and do better and are harsh critics of their progress. I know that I like to be challenged and like things to be difficult and when I can understand something difficult that is a feeling of accomplishment. Even in simple and silly things. Can I solve the hardest level of Sudoku? :lol: I'm working on it. :p Or if I am driving -- I'm going to drive the farthest I possibly can in one day. This is stupid, no? :lol: I'm trying to cut down on that kind of thing. :p

#1,188 ·
It´s a good perspective to have. But it´s one that does not come naturally to us people. I´m starting to think I myself will have to crash and burn once or twice before being able to have it sink in that our destiny is not as makeable as I´d wish it to be. Letting go of too much ambition, while challenging yourself all the same. Balance. Variety. I don´t know, by now I´m thinking I´m just juttering down random words :lol:

#1,191 ·
And what star said, is so very true. Some people might think I am exaggerating when talking about my future, but I am not. If I stay in this country, it's not looking good all. But I am going to go now and enjoy my dinner. And really when I am having dinner and worrying about it, I look at my food and feel joy. I think about my parents who still have a job and feel lucky. I think about my strengths, the degree I am taking and realize that if it's not going to work out here, it will work out somewhere else. So yeah, I'll be back after my delicious dinner which my incredible mother decided to cook for me and my lovely sister. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.