Mens Tennis Forums banner

Grigor in 2012 (general)

35K views 742 replies 35 participants last post by  Hypnotize 
#1 ·
So may be we can discuss all general stuff and smaller tournaments in this thread.

#720 ·
Grigor is still sharing the second place with Novak. The poll will close tomorrow, so lets help Grigor take that second place!

#724 · (Edited)
Grigor Dimitrov is nominated for "Sportsperson of the Year" in Bulgaria. The final Top 10 and the winner will be announced on 20 December. In 2010 Grigor finished 8th in the ranking and in 2011 he was again nominated, but didn't manage to make it in the Top 10.

Of course Grigor has no chance of winning, but still it is a great honour to be in the Top 15 (probably top 10 also) of the best bulgarian athletes in 2012.

Here are the names of the Top 15 athletes:
Alexandra Zhekova (Snowboard)
Antoaneta Stefanova (Chess)
Georgi Bratoev (Volleyball)
Grigor Dimitrov (Tennis)
Hristo Marinov (Wrestling)
Ivet Lalova (Athletics)
Kubrat Pulev (Boxing)
Petar Stoychev (Swimming)
Silviya Miteva (Rhythmic Gymnastics)
Staniliya Stamenova (Canoe-Kayak)
Stanka Zlateva (Wrestling)
Tervel Pulev (Boxing)
Tsvetan Sokolov (Volleyball)
Tsvetana Pironkova (Tennis)
Yordan Yovchev (Gymnastics)

I think he will finish around 8th place this year. The favourites are Kubrat Pulev (amazing wins this year, still undefeated and very close to challenging the Klitchko brothers), Stanka Zlateva (won Bulgaria's only silver medal at the Olympics) and Tervel Pulev (won Bulgaria's second and last medal - bronze). Also I expect Yordan Yovchev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Ivet Lalova, Georgi Bratoev and Tsvetana Pironkova to be placed in front of him.

Not so sure about Pironkova since in 2010 she reached a SF at Wimbledon, Grigor won a few Challengers and Futures events and he was only 2 places behind her. In 2010 Pironkova's only good performance was reaching the 4th round at US Open, so I expect Grigor to be placed higher than her.

#725 ·
For a fifth straight year Grigor Dimitrov won the award "Male tennis player of the year" in Bulgaria. Tsvetana Pironkova won the female award for an eight time :)

#727 ·
Grigor finished sixth in "Sportsperson of the Year" in Bulgaria. That's the second time Grigor made it to the Top 10 after 2010, when he was eight :) Tsveti Pironkova finished ninth this year.

Here is the Top 10:
1. Kubrat Pulev (Boxing)
2. Tervel Pulev (Boxing)
3. Stanka Zlateva (Wrestling)
4. Ivet Lalova (Athletics)
5. Antoaneta Stefanova (Chess)
6. Grigor Dimitrov (Tennis)
7. Yordan Yovchev (Gymnastics)
8. Petar Stoychev (Swimming)
9. Tsvetana Pironkova (Tennis)
10. Georgi Bratoev (Volleyball)

#728 ·
Grigor's father Dimitar Gospodinov is Bulgaria's new Davis cup coach :) Hopefully that way Grigor will be in the team every time he can :)

#733 ·
These polls are just popularity contests with people voting for their favourite player. It's amazing that Grigor is only being beaten by Roger, Novak and Rafa and he's still well ahead of all the other players on the list. As I've said before, once he starts moving up the rankings, he's going to be a huge star.

#735 ·
Merry Christmas everyone :)

#738 ·
Well I guess he will stay with Nike. After all just a month a go he was doing that trick for them - serving blindfolded for the Flame Vapors :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.