15K views 131 replies 18 participants last post by  RoddickFan88 
#1 ·
His section at San Jose:

(7) Donald Young USA - Michael Russell USA
Denis Istomin UZB - (WC) Sam Querrey USA
(WC) Jack Sock USA - Qualifier
(2) Andy Roddick USA - Bye

#2 ·
Well if he is healthy and can't make it through that section, he really should consider retirement

#3 ·
Well if he is healthy and can't make it through that section, he really should consider retirement
This.

As I've said even though this is really an irrelevant portion of the season...it's all about grabbing points. If Andy has any aspirations of doing well at Wimbledon...he needs to place at some of these events and get in good form for IW/Miami.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Andy lost the first set to Kudla :haha: he had a ton of chances and had a lot of trouble holding himself :haha:

#11 ·
Brooklyn says Andy's goal is to transition to sport/talk radio within two years' time. The countdown to his retirement begins now. :hysteric:

The good news is that he won't disappear into his mansion and be forgotten. He'll be on TV, he'll be on radio, and I'm sure he'll be very good, and very funny, at his new job. :cool:

I hope Andy's ankle is okay. He really shouldn't have stopped wearing the braces, even if he felt it hindered his movement, being crippled is worse. :help:

#12 ·
Oh balderdash! Not even Andy knows when he's going to retire. I guarantee if he has some good results this year and can climb back into the top ten or win some go deep in some tournaments...which means staying injury free; the retirement talk will start to die down.

However, if Andy slips out of the top 50....it might be sooner than 2 years.

#15 ·
At this rate it's possible he won't be :haha:

#18 ·
Not the easiest draw in the world. To me, Memphis(if he plays, which I think he will), is the key to Andy's entire pre-Wimbledon season. He has virtually nothing to defend at Indian Wells or Miami, so if he can win Memphis again, and retain those points, he's set up for a Top 10-15 ranking by the big W. Anything he does on clay(except Houston, which I don't think he'll play) is a bonus, so i'm not counting those results.

#28 ·
Ugh... this is just so sad :bigcry:

Well, it was bad enough last week, when he barely won Kudla, who was routined a few days later in Memphis qualies by Kendrick. Andy lost to in-form Istomin in the next match. Ok, I was rather disappointed there, but I found an excuse in my mind that Istomin is really in a good shape at the moment, which actually is the case. I still remember his match vs Tsonga in AO'12, it was a terrific match. So, I got over this loss and moved on, hoping that Andy will be able to at least defend some of the points here.

This is a terrible loss though :eek: Malisse has barely won any matches recently + was Andy's turkey 0-10 in H2H + got bitchslapped by Ginepri 1 & 2 last week :facepalm:

Ok, Andy's clearly not fit, that's not a question. Someone posted his photo in GM (from San Jose tournament, I think), and that is an unacceptable belly what he has. Probably he cannot run due to his recent injuries as well. Anyway, I cannot understand, how it is possible to decline so rapidly. Just a few months ago there was that win over Ferrer in USO'11, and he also gave Ferrer a good fight in Shanghai... but now? Uhhhh... I still believe that Andy can return to at least a semi-decent level. Heck, I would be the happiest man on the planet about a 250 title. Unfortunately, even that doesn't seem so likely anymore. Andy should hit the gym asap, improve fitness to the max level possible and keep trying. He doesn't have that much points to defend now, he needs some good runs here and there, to keep himself within the range of a seeded player in slams and give himself a chance. There is just one big question, if he still wants it :shrug:

Sorry for the long post. It's just so frustrating to see, that wanted to write something. But where else to write all of this, if not in Andyland? :)

#29 ·
You can always vent here :hug:

He just can't stay healthy anymore. Right now that's the biggest and only important problem. Can't worry about his mentality or anything like that if he's not even healthy to play. I'm not quite sure I understand why he even continued playing in San Jose and Memphis. He clearly wasn't fit. he made all these statements about not overplaying and being careful and staying healthy and he's doing the exact opposite :shrug:

#30 ·
:) :hug:

Yes, I agree, but I think that he chose to play these events as he was hoping to defend at least some of the points. I don't think he expected to do something big here, he just went there and gave it a try, if he can pick up a couple of wins, as he understood that otherwise it would be a nasty -500p off. Well, it didn't pay off, these 500p went off anyway + these couple of tournaments definitely didn't do any good for his health.

#31 ·
I think he played because he is so frustrated of what happenes lately want to just push something and get it going. Obviously the ankle injury is not that bad, it just stops him from moving like he can. I don't know this decision is right. On the one hand, he is losing all the time, on the other hand, he won't play well in IW/Miami if he just shows up after Australia. He is going to lose the fisrt rounds there also.

Now, he is scheduled to play Delray Beach...

#32 ·
Hmm... I don't know what to think about this... from one point of view he does need points. Quite badly. But then again... does he think that he is going to beat those lower ranked guys in 250 tourney on one leg? Tbh, I am not sure that he is able to do this anymore, and I am not talking about the semi-final/final stage, I am talking about 2nd and 3rd round here! He needs to be fully fit in order to compete. It seems to me that he is unsure, how to deal with the current situation, when more playing can damage his health and no playing will bring him down more and more in the rankings. If I could suggest him anything, I would suggest taking time off, working on physical shape and doing some rehab on the niggling injuries. Next points he has to defend are 4th round in IW, and then no points to defend at all till Queens! Surely, he won't slip much more down in the rankings, he just needs to get back as fit as possible to compete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.