Mens Tennis Forums banner

The calmest players in the history of the sport

7K views 79 replies 64 participants last post by  Ikaron 
#1 ·
Which players are/were really calm on court during matches.

I'm talking about players who rarely show/showed emotion in matches

#66 ·
Of course Borg, how did I forget the ice man?

#69 ·
Borg the Martian. You can forget every other player. Borg was a mental freak who never even objected to outrageous bad calls. There was one lone exception. At the year-end Masters in MSG against McEnroe, at a crucial point in a tiebreak, Frank Hammond overruled a good call on the baseline in favor of Mac. Borg calmly walked to the chair and softly complained refusing to play for five minutes or so. Everyone was shocked. Borg lost the tiebreak but won the match.

#77 · (Edited)
That's the incident I was referring to, but I thought it was Stockholm. But you're right, it was New York, Masters. There's a clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amG_wgdh44U

Amusingly weird to see Mac calmly fiddling with his strings while Borg has (what for him was) a massive meltdown. There are no histrionics from BB, but if looks could kill.... Can't be a coincidence it was in a match against Mac, either, the one player who freaked Borg out. It's testament to his immense mental strength that Borg still went on to win this match, on probably McEnroe's best surface.

Also nice to see the umpire enforcing time rules against the game's biggest star.

I wonder, does this one incident mean we have to give the title to Laver? Did Laver ever even question a call?

#73 ·
Federer.
Kept his cool against his so called main rivals CHEATING and gamesmanship thoroughly his career.
Not sure many had to deal with such disregard for the rules to gain an unfair advantage and keep " cool"

#79 ·
#80 ·
Borg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.