Mens Tennis Forums banner

Guga in Las Vegas

13K views 128 replies 18 participants last post by  MarcelaTauro 
#1 ·
Guga will play against Jan Hernych, number 83. I don't know if I really understand but I think If he wins this match he will play in one of those groups.

Group 1 - James Blake (1) e Juan Martin del Potro
Group 2 - Julian Benneteau (6) e Paul Goldstein
Group 3 - Jurgen Melzer (4) e Michael Llodra
Group 4 - Benjamin Becker (8) e Robby Ginepri
Group 5 - Fernando Verdasco (5) e Paul Henri-Mathieu
Group 6 - Marat Safin (3) e Stefan Koubek
Group 7 - Tim Henman (7) e Nicolas Mahut
Group 8 - Lleyton Hewitt (2) e Vince Spadea

#62 ·
GUGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:woohoo:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I was sooo scared after he got broken, definitely got tight since he was holding serve so easily for all match, but he definitely regrouped at the right time and didn't fault twice;)!

Awesome victory Guga, 2nd of the year, now Guga has won as many matches in 2007 as in the last 2 years:lol: Keep it up Guga, you're doing better and better:D!!! His ranking will rise a lot again, since every victory is huge in the rankings:D!

#68 ·
:worship: GUGaaaaaaaaaaaaa---> The King:boxing: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana :rocker2::rocker2::rocker2::rocker2::rocker2:

#69 ·
Former world No. 1 Kuerten qualifies for Tennis Channel Open

February 26, 2007

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Former world No. 1 player Gustavo Kuerten entered the main draw of the Tennis Channel Open through an unfamiliar door Monday.

Three-time French Open champ from Brazil defeated Wesley Moodie of the Republic of South Africa, 6-4, 7-5, in an elimination match. He advances to the 24-player, round-robin round, where he will play either Jan Hernych of the Czech Republic or eighth-seeded Benjamin Becker of Germany on Wednesday.

"For me, this was huge," Kuerten said. "It's going to be a busy week for me with the singles and doubles. It has been more than a year and a half since I have played more than four matches in one week."
Moodie won the first game of both sets, but Kuerten never trailed after that.

Kuerten was ranked No. 1 by the ATP on Dec. 4, 2000, after he defeated Andre Agassi in the finals of the Masters Cup in Lisbon, Portugal.

Kuerten, however, underwent hip surgery in 2004 and played only 17 matches over the next two years. He competed in one singles match in 2006 and only got back on the court last month in Chile.

Kuerten is ranked 736th in the world and has a 2-3 record for 2007.

#72 ·
This is brilliant. He gets matchplay and I think the confidence will be growing with this second win.

#73 ·
"It was my best match so far", says Guga

27/02/2007 to 00h35
Las Vegas (U.S.A.) - Gustavo Kuerten has what to commemorate in this monday, when it marked its first victory in the United States since 2005, in the estréia in the ATP of Las Vegas, in you square fast. It defeated the South African Wesley Moodie, 141º placed in ranking world-wide, for 6/4 and 7/5, and entered in the phase "round robin", where he will duelará with the Czech Jan Hernych and the German Benjamin Becker.

"better game Was mine so far, without a doubt. Exactly with much wind here, I played consistent the time all, errando little, answering and counterattacking well ", it commented happy. "In the hour that I was to draw for the game, in the 5/4 of as set, I arrived to make three double lacks of bobeira, but I recovered soon after that, breaking the booty of it and later I closed the departure", completed, satisfied with its second victory in the year, after the estréia in Brazil Open, against Italian Fillipo Volandri. "I felt Me more comfortable in squares today and I find that I am starting to catch the rhythm."

The victory ahead of Moodie guaranteed the presence of the tricampeão of Roland Garros in the Round Robin. The winner of the group will advance to the fourth-of-end. The match is being disputed in the system Round Robin, with 32 players, hybrid format.

"Now it does not import very who I goes to face. The legal one is that I gained this game and with certainty already I go to make more here three departures ", said Guga, mentioning itself it the fact also to dispute pairs to the side of the Paraguayan Thin Ramon. They face, still in indefinite date, the North American Tripp Phillips and the Australian Stephen Huss.

#78 ·
Guga played Hernych once, it was in the 2004 TMS Toronto 3rd round and Guga lost 5-7, 7-6(6), 6-4 in a very tight battle, Guga even wasted a match point in the 2nd set:eek:... Hopefully this time Guga will turn the tables, they play tomorrow! GO GUGAAAAAAAAAA:yeah:!!!!!!!!!

#82 ·
I just take this from Safin's Forum and I'm really upset ... I don't know why but I always felt that Safin hates Guga. He never say nothing good about him... I could be wrong but I think like this... anyway ... I hope Guga doesn't see this depressing Safin's words.

Knee-jerk reactions
Posted 02/28/2007 @ 5 :05 AM

Tuesday in Las Vegas can pretty much be summed up by one word: wind. Forget about getting a reading on Tim Henman or Lleyton Hewitt’s game– just getting and keeping the ball in play was the main preoccupation. Some of the service tosses alone were worth the price of admission, and some players wore long sleeves to keep warm in the low temperatures.

Henman and Hewitt, who both won in straight sets, are making their comebacks from knee trouble this week. Henman’s led him to pull out of the Australian Open, and Marseille (plus Rotterdam with flu) but he said he’s now playing without pain.

Hewitt has been struggling with his right knee since last August and pulled out of Rotterdam last week. He still puts himself at less than 100% and has been getting treatment on the knee “three to four times a day. “I haven’t been hitting many tennis balls, just trying to get my body right,” he said.

Marat Safin is on the other side, having been hit by a knee injury in 2005 and spent most of last year working his way back up. So he must have some insight into the comeback process, right?

Stand back:

“Well, you have two stages.

“The first stage is when you get injured and doctors, they try to tell you this and that, that you might not recover. So you try to prepare yourself in case it doesn’t work and you won’t be able to recover or you won’t be able to play at the same level, so at least you mentally prepared to give up and try to do something else.

“And you start to enjoy life too much a little bit – is not bad either. [Cue laughter]

“But the other way, once you start to play and you start to recover, it’s also tough to come back... it’s also tough mentally to hang around 100, 80 in the world and not be able to be in the top 10. So motivation is missing. Because nothing interesting anymore, you think you cannot come back anymore, because you’re not the same speed as the other guys, other guys don’t respect you any more. You start to believe you won’t be able to come back, so it’s kind of depressing.

“You need to be lucky that you win a couple of good matches to give you the motivation. And also when you have knee injuries or something with the legs it’s difficult to move on the court that same as you moved before because you start to protect yourself.”

Sounds daunting. If it makes you wonder why someone like Gustavo Kuerten wants to go through it – well, Safin’s wondering the same thing. “He’s an old guy and he’s 31 years old, he wants to come back,” he said. “It’s going to be tough, one year one and a half, so I don’t know how, why he’s coming back.”

But “if he wants to play, why not?”

Safin also had an interesting characterization of the way he’s seen the lockeroom atmosphere change over the years. “When I started in ’98, in the middle of the nineties, everybody was more together,” he said. “But now everybody is just doing their own thing and nobody communicate with anybody.”

He defined the older group as players born between 1974 (e.g. Henman) and 1976 (e.g. Kuerten). “I prefer the generation before because [they were] more close and a lot of people, they are from different countries and they are good friends. And now it’s more individual.”

“Just new generation,” he said. “It’s not good, is not bad, it’s just different.”

Back to the wind, which was hard to get away from in any case on Tuesday. Blake was the only big name to lose, going down 6-2, 6-4 to Evgeny “Anna K.’s cousin” Korolev.

Henman actually managed to be upbeat about the conditions, noting that it was the worst he’d played in since Sydney in 1997, when he won his first ATP title. “Nice omen,” he grinned, flashing that tiger tooth on the left. After all, he said, wind just means he can play this game with more gusto: “Because my swings are pretty short and I can get forwards – I think playing at the net is a big advantage in the wind – I think it actually suits me not too bad.”

“It’s less about the tennis and more about the mind. It’s almost like you’ve got to keep a sense of humour about it and just try and have some fun.”

Here’s Hewitt on the wind: “It’s more a mental battle than a physical in conditions like that – you know, playing the percentages, playing within yourself, playing smart out there.”

Safin: “It’s a little bit difficult to try and play your best tennis and to try to get the rhythm, so I try to stay as cool as I can and I try to attack, because that’s the only way to try to control the ball.” (Incidentally, Safin did a great job in getting over 70% of his first serves in the first set, when the win was at its worst.)

Blake: “No, I tried really not to change my game for the conditions. That’s what I’ve always been taught, that’s how I’ve always played – not to play too cautious in the wind or anything like that.”

It has to be noted that Blake was the only one who said he tried to ignore the conditions and was the only one who lost, but it’s also hard to see him chipping and charging like Henman or counterpunching Hewitt and winning. Actually, it’s hard to see him playing like Henman or Hewitt, period. Korolev’s bullet-like groundstrokes cut through the wind much better and he took full advantage of Blake’s inconsistency.

Blake has to now win his match against del Potro to stay alive, but at least he knows his opponet’s game plan. Del Potro was wandering around the grounds on Tuesday wearing a t-shirt that said something like, “My mission in life is to serve people off the court.” Doubt he was talking about charity work.

#83 ·
yah, I don't like these words from Marat:eek: Anyways, I'm sure Guga doesn't care about what he thinks;)

BTW Guga beat Marat the last 4 times they played, the H2H is 4-3 Guga:p

I still hope the best for both players:)

#100 ·
all marat appears to be saying is it is tough to come back from injuries and it is even harder when you are 31. i don't really see what is that bad about that :scratch:

" “He’s an old guy and he’s 31 years old, he wants to come back,” he said. “It’s going to be tough, one year one and a half, so I don’t know how, why he’s coming back.”

But “if he wants to play, why not?” "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.