Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

648K views 5K replies 540 participants last post by  R 
#1 · (Edited)

this will become the mother of all sports quests in modern sports. it will be known going forward simply as "The Quest".

can he snatch a total of 100 titles before he hangs up his racquets? is that a viable goal for him to have?

and also what about 20 slams now that 17 are in the bag?

i know he wants slams but slams dont come easy after 30. he will be one of the exceptions obviously if it happens. where do you see his best chance at another slam? could it be on the u.s. open surface?

somebody won a french open at 31 for instance? what was his name? that is your question of the day. here is a hint: he was 6 foot 5 and he was a left hander.

muscles (rosewall) was making the finals of slams at some ridiculous old age. so if you have the talent and you can keep up on the fitness front you can certainly show up in the finals of slams.

See less See more
#1,742 ·
I do think it will be interesting to see if RF plays in places he hasn't played in a long time or hasn't played at all in the coming few years, like Washinton, etc. He might keep the same Masters/Slams based schedule but as we have seen this year, he needs matches to get into a good rhythm at this point in his career so playing some more small tournaments could be beneficial.

#1,743 ·
It would be nice if Roger ended 2013 with 80 titles. Imo he can do that. Still it will be very difficult to reach the 100 title mark.

Considering he will play until 2016, he would have to win 20 titles in 3 seasons. 7 titles in 2 seasons plus 6 in the other. That's impossible. Even in 2012 with the great year he had he won 6 titles. How will we replicate that in the last 3 years of his career?! Impossible.

A more realistic and yet difficult mark would be 90 titles.

#1,746 ·
I think the only major milestone that is still reachable is 1000 wins. Only 96 remaining, if he doesn't retire early he should be ale to do it. But 100 titles or 20 slams, no way. Not that the number of titles means much anyway, with the current ATP rules winning tons of MM events don't give you ranking points so...

#1,750 ·
This pretty much, unless he starts vulturing Mickey Mouse titles he won't get anywhere near that number. Fed always kept his schedule tight so I don't see him playing (and winning) too many 250s in the future. 3 Slams also seems far off but with Fed you never know, he certainly will have his chances at Wimby as long as he stays fit.

#1,747 ·
He needs to start vulturing some venues. He may ask to a WC for Goatport this year

:worship:

Hopefully he plays until 2016, I`m not still convinced about that.

#1,752 ·
over...

#1,753 ·
This seems like a distant dream now.

#1,755 ·
It will be nice if he vulture his way to 100 titles, he will surpasss Lendl`s 94 titles and 1071 victories if he can do that

#1,757 ·
Well it's certainly been a while since Mr. Federer won a title (Halle 2013). 2013 was clearly an off year after 2012's fine year.

But he finally gets his 78th title in one of the top 500 tournaments - Dubai, where he earned a record 6th title. He came from behind to overcome both Novak Djokovic in the semifinal with a vintage performance and then Tomas Berdych with a not pretty, but gutty performance when obviously the 32+ Federer was drained from the previous difficult match just 22 hours earlier.

Roger is now 3rd by himself on the ATP title list having just passed the great John McEnroe. Lendl is second with 94, and Connors on top with 109.

Congratulations to Roger Federer and his fans.

At this level of play, or a little higher, I would say he could possibly win 4 more titles this year, possibly including a major.

20 and 100? Majors, possibly if things go very right for him, but even 18 would be special. 100 titles? Very very difficult. 5+ titles/year for the next 4 years, assuming he plays that long. Even 85-90 would be a challenge unless he starts playing a lot of minor tourneys, and I don't expect that to happen.

Where can he grab #79?

Respectfully,
masterclass

#1,763 · (Edited)
20 Majors will be tough unless things break right for him soon and he gets hot, say Wimbledon and US Open this year. Then with one more to go, I guess anything could happen. It's Roger Federer after all.

# of titles will depend how long he plays and at what level. If he plays to 40, stays injury free, and cherry picks his tournaments, then he has a chance to get a pretty high number. Avg. of 2 titles per year till 40 would be 16. If he plays only to 2016, then do the math.

I guess he'll play till his priorities change, or if his back or something hurts or affects his play to much to continue with enjoyment.

One thing people don't usually look at are Federer's reasons, goals, and motivation that keeps him playing at a high level.

He's accomplished as much or more in tennis than any man alive. How much competitive fire still burns inside of him?

What goals can he set at this point to keep himself motivated? Where does he look for them?

Can he just go out and play, enjoy himself, and try to entertain the crowds that always fill the stands without winning?

If you were him, what goals would you set at this point, to stay at a high level? Win a record 8th Wimbledon, an Open Era record 6th US Open or 5th Australian Open? Win x number of titles before you retire? Win Halle, Basel, or the Masters Cup (WTF) x more times? Eventually, he won't believe he has what it takes to win a major. What will he do then? Keep going, play on and enjoy and win what he can? Or stop, and enjoy other things in his life?

It's not easy to keep the fire burning after accomplishing so much. Look at Andy Murray, OBE. He had a big dream. He dreamed one day of winning Wimbledon, the first British man in over 70 years. He did it, amongst tough competition. And now, it seems to me that he has struggled a bit with motivation, with looking for more goals after fulfilling a dream. Maybe he doesn't need to. Maybe he's satisfied with what he's done. Nothing wrong with that. Very few players in history have won a single major, much less more than 2 majors.

It's the champion's mentality. The desire and fire in the greatest ones to do all they can, what they can, while they can, and then finally end it when that desire dims to a glow that only cruelly reminds them of their greatest days gone by. But perhaps someone like Federer can also play for the love of the game, without winning titles left and right, if that what he wants. It's his choice.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Mimi
#1,766 ·
#1,768 ·
Sure, make the field like 2004-2006 maybe he'll win some 250's and vulture to 100 slams.

This Wimbledon is his final shot at a slam IMO. The big hitters are weary. Djokovic's confidence is shot to pieces at slams, Murray isn't looking at his best and Nadal has become a joke on grass compared. I miss the days when it was easily his second best surface.

#1,769 ·
He still has the drive and tools to beat top10 in regular basis. He can have an off day like vs chardy, it happens, more often at his age.

As long as he is in the Top10 and doesnt loose early on in GS he will continue to play.

If he drops off the Top10 and looses R1 or R2 that will afect him. But i still think he plays until after RIO.

But 20 is not a realistic number , as for 100...
Not likely. Eeven volturing 250´s isnt in Federer´s way of thinking.

#1,770 ·
Congratulations to Roger Federer on his 6th Cincinnati Master 1000 victory in his 8th final of the year, and his 80th title. Roger has 3 titles out of 8 finals this year, could have had a couple of more titles perhaps, but into his 34th year he's still getting to the big dance in major and masters, which is more than most people other than Roger expected after his dismal and injury ridden 2013. He has participated in his 4th straight final, Halle, Wimbledon, Toronto, Cincinnati. He stated before this year began that his goal was to win 4 or 5 titles, and be in some great finals. Right now, it's looking like he was prophetic.

His 4th Masters 1000 final of the year in the friendly territory of Cincinnati, Ohio turned out to be the charm. After losing to Djokovic at Indian Wells, Wawrinka in Monte Carlo and Tsonga in Toronto, he beat a tough David Ferrer who evened things up by refusing to get broken in the second set, but in the decider, Federer won it with a flourish with a devastating serve and strong ground strokes and some creative shot-making to win the match and a record 6th title at the tournament.

He was so close at his record 9th Wimbledon final to an 18th major, but Djokovic hung tough and Federer couldn't quite get across the finish line after a brilliant 4th set rally to get to the decider.

He has 20 titles to go for 100. But first there is Lendl with 94. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? Well, I'll let someone else say that.

He goes into the US Open with confidence. A bit tired perhaps after back to back Masters finals, which is incredible at his age and says a lot about his fitness and efficiency of his game, but he has over a week to rest and prepare.

His chief competitors have to ramp it up if they want to keep pace with the Swiss Maestro.

Respectfully,
masterclass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.