27 DARCIS, Steve BEL
28 GIRALDO, Santiago COL

29 MASSU, Nicolas CHI
30 MACHADO, Rui POR
31 BYE
32 LJUBICIC, Ivan[2]

See less See more
#3 ·
There are news in L'Equipe today (http://www.gaelmonfils.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245#p5762) and his form sounds very, very average. He admits he has basically done nothing since the Davis Cup. He says his hand was preventing him not only from playing, but also from doing work-out for his upper body because he couldn't do push-ups, lift weights, etc. So he has lost a lot of muscular mass. And his game is looking accordingly, the journalist says Marrero gave him a very hard time in training yesterday.
Rasheed confirms it, but says that at least the long break was good for the knee.

#4 ·
He's out with stomach problems :eek: if you want details about his night here http://www.estorilopen.net/News/Tennis/2010/Tournament/Thursday-Monfils-Ljubicic-Pull-Out.aspx
“I have been sick overnight as a result of eating some bad food,” said Monfils, the World No. 18.

“I don’t have any energy, my head feels heavy, my nose is blocked up and I was sick three or four times. I probably got about one hour’s sleep last night.”

Monfils has been sidelined due to a hand injury since competing at the BNP Paribas Masters in Indian Wells.

“The past couple of months have been more than bad luck. All journalists know I like playing on clay courts and wanted to have good preparation for Roland Garros. I hope I’ll be back on the court soon.”

#6 ·
I just knowed that something will happen wrong..Hope he will be back for Madrid!

#9 ·
Ah well, who cares about Estoril.
While this is true, things are indeed getting weird recently. But who knows what is really going on, from an outside perspective it seems, as if he is losing himself.

#11 ·
My take on this is that he probably needed a real break from tennis -and while he could have continued to physically work even with an injured hand, he might have told Rasheed to go home to spend some time "chilling" like he says, playing poker, seeing his friends and gf, being on holidays... the hand was a good pretext because it was real et c'est arrivé à point nommé.
They also mentionned (was it in l'équipe ? can't remember) that he was also mentally down because one of his best friends is going through a very bad illness (and we all know what Gaël is like, if something happens to his loved ones, he loses all focus and stability.)

It's probably a mix of everything, his injury, his need for a break, his personal problems. I mean, I definitely get that life can happen outside of the job and interfere with it, and in Gaël's case it probably affects him more than any other players (ok Richard excepted, maybe ;))

It's not that worrisome, it would be if it was about anyother player than him, but once again, he's so special... let's wait and see. He defies all logic rules, and the longer he's out before RG, the further he goes in the tournament, so let's go for a Rafa final this time :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.