Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Toronto be a washout? Federer, Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco, Monfils out

30K views 329 replies 131 participants last post by  guichard 
#1 · (Edited)
Rafael Nadal says in his facebook page that he is out of Toronto.

Hi all, wanted to let you know that I won't be playing Toronto this year. I am not ready to play and I hope to be back in 2014 at that great tournament that has always treat me very well. I am continuing with my recup and practice. Thanks!

Unfortunate for him. :sad: We should all wish him well and a speedy recovery. He's important to the game.
It doesn't seem the same without him in the mix.

Respectfully,
masterclass

See less See more
#131 ·
Re: Ferrer, Verdasco & Monfils withdraws from Toronto

I can see some surprising winner this year, someone like Almagro or Fish, or even Berdych

#161 ·
Re: Confirmed. Nadal withdraws from Toronto.

Rest well, champ.
Hope to see the big 4 back in Cincy. But i'm not confident about that.
Hmmm. I fully expect Nadal to be back for US Open at the latest. I also expect him to do very well there.

Why? He's had injury problems before, taken time off, and come back even better than before. Whether that's due to an excellent training and recovery programme, or due to other reasons, I really don't know. He made the finals of three of the last four hard court majors. I'm predicting semis at least this year, and more depending on the draw he gets. He wants to be in Federer's half, not Djokovic's...

#138 ·

Hopefully Federer,Djokovic and Murray withdraw too.Would be great that someone else wins a Masters tournament.
it would be a great oppertunity for everyone else but on the other hand, as far as the tournament goes it would be a disaster really. No top players, they'd have a hard time selling tickets even with canadians in the draw

#143 ·

lol Toronto gonna be a real vultures tournie, watch Roddick get lucky

reminds me in the 90's one year when Chris Woodruff won title, remember him

#146 ·

some of you guys are over reacting a little bit. first of all, Rogers Cup is one of the oldest and most prestigious tournaments in the world. I'm pretty sure that Djokovic, Federer and Murray will be there, and there you go ... everyone is happy.

#147 ·

some of you guys are over reacting a little bit. first of all, Rogers Cup is one of the oldest and most prestigious tournaments in the world. I'm pretty sure that Djokovic, Federer and Murray will be there, and there you go ... everyone is happy.
they have to prioritize. All 3 have made deep runs and will be playing this weekend at the olympics and all 3 will have commitments after they have finished. Its a tight turn around between the olympics, cinci and the US open and they wont want to tire themselves out before the US open.

If they have to cut a tournament then the rogers cup seems likely

#148 ·

Never in doubt that ignorant haters would insult Nadal's photo. He's sent out pictures like this ever since he joined Facebook. He's not sad or lonely. He looks like he does in most pictures.

The bulge in his pants is great in this photo. :hearts:

#150 ·

Never in doubt that ignorant haters would insult Nadal's photo. He's sent out pictures like this ever since he joined Facebook. He's not sad or lonely. He looks like he does in most pictures.

The bulge in his pants is great in this photo. :hearts:
That bulge is the stinking banana that he carries to every tennis court.

#153 ·
Re: Will Toronto be a washout? Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco & Monfils withdraw

Apparently Roddick has withdrawn.

#159 ·

Apparently Roddick has withdrawn.
Source?

As far as Toronto is concerned, there's a difference between the players who will play the gold-medal match and those who will play the bronze medal match : they will all play on sunday, but the first ones will play a 5-setter match, the latter ones will play a 3-setter match.
Bronze match is Saturday :scratch:

#154 ·

I hope Nadal be back soon. Verdasco who cares

Of course not. Rest of guys including Roger, Nole and Andy....

#155 ·

As far as Toronto is concerned, there's a difference between the players who will play the gold-medal match and those who will play the bronze medal match : they will all play on sunday, but the first ones will play a 5-setter match, the latter ones will play a 3-setter match.

#158 ·

Lol. Who cares about Fiasco, Ferrer and Monfils not participating? Nadal's withdrawal alone is enough to make this tournament irrelevant.

#160 ·

this sucks. if the top 4 don't show up. it's going to be pretty much a mickey mouse 1000

#166 ·

Hass will vulture the shit out of this gimp tournament.

Reactions: Hugh Jaas
#168 ·

Bad for tennis that Nadal and Monfils are out.

Hope all the four Olympic semifinalists go to this tournament though.

#170 ·

This will be a perfect event for vultures. :rocker2:
Nah, there will be enough good players in the draw to prevent vultures from winning anything. And Ferrer has withdrawn anyway.

#171 ·

The ATP had to have realized that with so many of the top players participating at the Olympics in both singles & doubles that something like this was bound to happen. Expecting players to travel & make a sudden transition to another surface that quickly was unrealistic to say the least. Did the ATP give any thoughts to perhaps scheduling Toronto & Cincy a week later this year? Although this would have not been the perfect solution & participation at Cincy may have suffered somewhat as a result, it would surely be better than the mass exodus we are witnessing now. This is particularly unfair to a player like Djokovic who is defending 1000 pts in the Rogers Cup and will now probably have to W/D or tank to avoid physical injury/exhaustion.

#178 ·

Did the ATP give any thoughts to perhaps scheduling Toronto & Cincy a week later this year? Although this would have not been the perfect solution & participation at Cincy may have suffered somewhat as a result, it would surely be better than the mass exodus we are witnessing now.
scheduling Cinci the week before the US Open would have led to a more massive exodus, I think.

The ATP had no other choice if one thinks carefully, considering that they have no weight in the decision in the dates of the Olympic Games.

This is particularly unfair to a player like Djokovic who is defending 1000 pts in the Rogers Cup and will now probably have to W/D or tank to avoid physical injury/exhaustion.
the notion of "defending" points only has a signification in a case of a player who has a massive advantage on one surface like Nadal on clay.

Beside that, I don't use this notion like that : the points from last year are lost 52 weeks later anyway then everything starts from zero and you do your best in every tournament. That's the way I see it.

Djokovic and Fed will be top-2 seeds in the US Open anyway :shrug:

Besides, I don't think Djokovic will withdraw : he lost his double in first round in 2 sets and didn't have very tough matches, the Olympics are not tiring at all for him so far :shrug:

I can see Federer (old) and even Murray (used to not being interested in other tournaments than slams and Olympics recently and still in mixed doubles) withdrawing much more than Djokovic withdrawing.

#181 ·

A tournament without Nadull cant be a washout. I hope Federer and Djokovic go to it, though. Murray isnt a factor anyway, so yeah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.