Mens Tennis Forums banner

Jr Championships, Wimbledon | GBR | GA | 29 June 13| Winner: Gianluigi QUINZI (ITA)

14K views 92 replies 22 participants last post by  Haste 
#1 · (Edited)
Tournament: The Junior Championships, Wimbledon
Host Country: Great Britain
Grade: Grade A (Grand Slam)
Surface: Grass - Outdoor
Date: 29 June - 07 July 2013
ITF Tournament Page: http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/tournaments/tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100029485
Official Tournament Website: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/bs/index.html

Entry List (Last Modified 28 May 2013)
1 Nick KYRGIOS (AUS) 1 1
2 Gianluigi QUINZI (ITA) 2 1 1
3 Nikola MILOJEVIC (SRB) 3 1
4 Borna CORIC (CRO) 4 1 1
5 Laslo DJERE (SRB) 5 26 1
6 Filippo BALDI (ITA) 6 4 1
7 Wayne MONTGOMERY (RSA) 7 1
8 Clement GEENS (BEL) 8 1 1
9 Johan Sebastien TATLOT (FRA) 9 1
10 Frederico Ferreira SILVA (POR) 10 1 1
11 Cameron NORRIE (GBR) 11 1
12 Maxime HAMOU (FRA) 12 1
13 Christian GARIN (CHI) 13 1
14 Jorge Brian PANTA (PER) 14 5 1
15 Hyeon CHUNG (KOR) 15 128 1
16 Thai-Son KWIATKOWSKI (USA) 16 1
17 Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN) 17 1
18 Elias YMER (SWE) 18 1 1
19 Seong Chan HONG (KOR) 19 11 1
20 Stefan KOZLOV (USA) 20 1
21 Marcelo ZORMANN DA SILVA (BRA) 21 1 1
22 Nicolas JARRY (CHI) 22 4 1
23 Guillermo NUNEZ (CHI) 23 1
24 Lucas MIEDLER (AUT) 24 1
25 Noah RUBIN (USA) 25 1
26 Harry BOURCHIER (AUS) 26 1
27 Omar JASIKA (AUS) 27 1
28 Matej MARUSCAK (SVK) 28 1
29 Karen KHACHANOV (RUS) 29 1
30 Franko MIOCIC (CRO) 30 2 1
31 Alexander ZVEREV (GER) 31 59 1
32 Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) 32 1
33 Young Seok KIM (KOR) 33 22 1
34 Benjamin BONZI (FRA) 34 1
35 Maximilian MARTERER (GER) 35 1
36 Enzo COUACAUD (FRA) 36 1
37 Quentin HALYS (FRA) 37 1
38 Pedro CACHIN (ARG) 38 1
39 Mazen OSAMA (EGY) 39 1
40 Stefano NAPOLITANO (ITA) 41 2 1
41 Luca CORINTELI (USA) 42 1
42 Duck Hee LEE (KOR) 43 25 1
43 Maxime JANVIER (FRA) 44 1
44 Spencer PAPA (USA) 45 1
45 Lucas GOMEZ (MEX) 62 1
46 Kyle EDMUND (GBR) 76 1

Qualifying List (Last Modified 28 May 2013)
1 Hugo DI FEO (CAN) 46 1
2 Kamil MAJCHRZAK (POL) 47 1
3 Daniil MEDVEDEV (RUS) 48 1
4 Bradley MOUSLEY (AUS) 49 1
5 Luke BAMBRIDGE (GBR) 50 1
6 Martin REDLICKI (USA) 51 1
7 Rafael MATOS (BRA) 52 1
8 Matteo DONATI (ITA) 54 3 1
9 Artur SHAKHNUBARYAN (RUS) 55 1
10 Skander MANSOURI (TUN) 57 5 1
11 Cem ILKEL (TUR) 59 5 1
12 Jaime Ignacio GALLEGUILLOS (CHI) 60 1
13 Takashi SAITO (JPN) 61 1
14 Daniel WINDAHL (SWE) 63 2 1
15 Diego PEDRAZA (COL) 64 10 1
16 Dominic WEIDINGER (AUT) 65 1
17 Paul WOERNER (GER) 67 1
18 Ken ONISHI (JPN) 68 1
19 Brayden SCHNUR (CAN) 69 1
20 Alexander VASILENKO (RUS) 70 1
21 Luca George TATOMIR (ROU) 71 4 1
22 Simon Friis SOENDERGAARD (DEN) 73 1 1
23 Johannes HAERTEIS (GER) 74 1
24 Francisco BAHAMONDE (ARG) 75 1
25 Daniel VALENT (SUI) 77 1
26 Bastian MALLA (CHI) 78 1

Alternates
1 Sumit NAGAL (IND) 79 1
2 Wishaya TRONGCHAROENCHAIKUL (THA) 80 1
3 Jay ANDRIJIC (AUS) 81 1
4 Ku Keon KANG (KOR) 85 1
5 Alexander SENDEGEYA (GBR) 88 1
6 Michael MMOH (USA) 89 1
7 Joao WALENDOWSKY (BRA) 90 5 1
8 Hannes WAGNER (GER) 92 1
9 Evan HOYT (GBR) 94 1
10 Mackenzie MCDONALD (USA) 97 1

See less See more
#36 ·
Re: The Junior Championships, Wimbledon | Great Britain | GA | 29 June - 07 July 2013

Sorry, I was quite late arriving yesterday, so I missed Garin-Bambridge, Chung-Di Feo & Kyrgios-Miedler.

Baldi-Harris

I watched this match for two spells, one where Baldi was dominating at the end of the first set (which is why I decided to look elsewhere), and the other when it all of a sudden got tight in the second set. Now, I get the feeling Baldi was well below his best and wasn't especially comfortable on the grass, but even that was enough to beat Harris rather handily. The Briton had nothing to hurt Baldi with. A rather weak serve, despite his height, a forehand so awkward that a slice on that wing became a fixture in rallies, and very clunky hands up at the net. I liked Harris' backhand, probably the only thing that impressed me about him, but that wasn't going to win him this contest. The Italian was solid from the back, serving intelligently. He didn't do anything special to win the lion's share of the points though, which is likely more down to his inferior opponent, more than anything else. Certainly a classy player from the baseline though, very tidy strokes.

Coric-Halys

Probably the match I enjoyed the most out of the whole day. Let me start by saying that Coric is extremely intimidating. Not only is he reasonably tall and uncompromisingly powerful, his on-court behaviour is extremely unnerving too. Screaming after the occasional lost point, loud calls of 'come on' and 'yes' were definitely audible from the other side of the adjacent courts. I felt a bit sorry for Halys here as he was very much up against it before he stepped on to court. As for the match itself, well it was tight. Coric has a massive serve and that was allowing him to hold comfortably in the majority of his service games, but Halys has a lot of talent and hit some great backhand returns of the second serve and his reflexes are superb. Coric just had a bit more power, and was able to match the slices that Halys often deployed, and even counter them with better ones of his own. The Frenchman has a break in the second set, but he was let down by missing too many first serves, and his forehand sometimes breaks down on even the easy ball. I see a successful player of the future there, but Coric should be a successful player of the near future. He looks a good bet for the title.

Djere-Khachanov

I'm not surprised Khachanov has had some big wins on the junior circuit already, but today he was simply outplayed by somebody who to me looks like an awesome technician. The Russian imparts a huge amount of spin on the ball with his forehand, and his backhand isn't bad in that regard, either. However, Djere is a good mover and once he started finding his range, he didn't miss. I understand people say that he can't play off of clay, and despite winning today, that was evident. All the skills of a quality clay-courter were on show. Basing himself deep behind the baseline, he allowed Khachanov to take control of the rallies often, but as soon as he had the opportunity to bring a big forehand in to play, he did so. I think the Russian was the better player when both weren't at the baseline, but he didn't quite have the skill to outmaneuver the Serb. Both could work on their serves, as they are going to get eaten alive by good returners in the latter stages of futures tournaments.

Kokkinakis-Windahl

Didn't see much of this, so I'll be brief. I also think everyone knows how Kokkinakis plays, so I'll talk about his opponent, instead. Windahl looked like your solid, run-of-the-mill type player. Reasonably big serve and then very solid from the back. He moved nicely as well. Unfortunately I didn't stay long enough to work out what the Swede's favourite patterns were, but from what I saw, he had a hard time returning, which is understandable against Kokkinakis, who probably had one of the biggest serves I saw all day.

Marterer-Napolitano

First match I watched, and I'll admit I knew next to nothing about Marterer. I liked what I saw though. He kind of adopts the Andreas Beck gamestyle just with a big serve. He possesses a solid weapon in the forehand and a threatening, if a little volatile, flat backhand. Napolitano should have won this match though. He was a break up in the third set. Then went a break down, only to break straight back when the German was serving for the match. The Italian reminds me of Marcel Granollers, both in terms of looks and bits of his games. He's much more free-flowing and doesn't grunt though. I liked his willingness to come to the net often, and of all the players I saw today, he probably showed the most skill up in the forecourt. I think he could be a good all-surface player in the future, even if he primarily plays on the clay. Marterer earned a new fan in me, and is my dark horse for the title.

I'll do some write-ups for the bottom half second round matches later on.

#37 · (Edited)
Re: The Junior Championships, Wimbledon | Great Britain | GA | 29 June - 07 July 2013

15 y.o. (season) Grand Slam

1. Stefan Kozlov QF
2-5. Bernard Tomic R16, Mario Ancic R16, Jimmy Wang R16, Richard Gasquet R16

Stefan Kozlov USA 1.2.1998 (2013 Wimbledon QF)
Bernard Tomic AUS 21.10.1992 (2007 US Open R16)
Mario Ancic CRO 30.3.1984 (1999 Roland Garros R16)
Jimmy Wang TPE 8.2.1985 (2000 Wimbledon R16)
Richard Gasquet FRA 18.6.1986 (2001 Roland Garros R16)

#39 · (Edited)

15 y.o. (season) Grand Slam

1. Stefan Kozlov QF
2-5. Bernard Tomic R16, Mario Ancic R16, Jimmy Wang R16, Richard Gasquet R16

Stefan Kozlov USA 1.2.1998 (2013 Wimbledon QF)
Bernard Tomic AUS 21.10.1992 (2007 US Open R16)
Mario Ancic CRO 30.3.1984 (1999 Roland Garros R16)
Jimmy Wang TPE 8.2.1985 (2000 Wimbledon R16)
Richard Gasquet FRA 18.6.1986 (2001 Roland Garros R16)
I'm confused at what this. Is it supposed to be the best results from a 15 yr old? Because Tomic and Donald Young both won Junior slams at 15. So what are these stats?

#42 ·

Edmund-Nishioka

High quality match, and the period I watched was dead even. Edmund, again, I'm sure most people know how he plays. Nishioka on the other hand is really interesting. He's not the biggest guy around, so has to rely on his movement and craft. I like his forehand and his backhand slice is a decent change-up, but his serve and backhand need some work if he is to make the grade. Edmund was just a bit too powerful on the day which is why I think he ended up dominating the match. Apart from Quinzi, Edmund had the best forehand of the players I saw.

O'Mara-Cachin

I get the feeling these two really aren't that comfortable on grass. Cachin, in particular, was really struggling to get down low to meet the ball's low bounce on this surface. The Argentine is a good ballstriker though and I can see why he could be a factor on a clay-court or a hard-court. O'Mara has a great forehand, by the way. Not huge, but heavy enough to cause problems.

Kozlov-Gomez

I was really excited about this one, but I arrived once the match was all but over. Kozlov had just got a break early in the second set and I rather feel this broke the Mexican's spirit, somewhat. He was struggling to hold on to his serve afterwards, and Kozlov was cruising. The American has a lot of talent, he manipulates the ball flight so well, making it very difficult for his opponent to get into a rhythm. I believe that Gomez is the type of player who would be content to crunch forehands all day long if you give him the chances, but Kozlov was very intelligent to not get involved in those kind of rallies. I'd like to see the American develop some serious weaponry, but he's got time on his side, and I wouldn't be surprised if he heads the rankings on the junior circuit in the coming years, but I wonder if it's worth it.

Zverev-Cash

I saw literally a couple of points of this, so I can't go in to any sort of detail. Zverev seems to be a very dictatorial player, even on this surface. He hits a mean forehand and is offensive, but very reluctant to come in to net. Would love to have seen him for a little longer, but the rain came down unfortunately.

Quinzi-Haerteis

Two left-handers going at it. Quinzi has every shot in the book apart from a big flat serve. Ironically, the only shot I saw Haertheis to possess is a big flat serve. The German tried coming in to net as he was just outclassed by Quinzi from the baseline, with the topspin the Italian creates really causing him problems, even on the grass. It didn't really work as Quinzi won the first set rather comfortably. I left and didn't return until the end of the second set, but was somewhat surprised to see him being stretched. Perhaps what I saw of the German in the first set was a nerves?

Tatlot-Trongcharoenchaikul

Didn't see much of this, and much to my disappointment, I never heard the umpire try to pronounce 'Trongcharoenchaikul', as he didn't win a game after I started watching early in the second set. The Thai has a nice two-handed backhand from what I saw, but was really not putting any effort in. Tatlot kept up the intensity right until the end, and oh boy does he look strong. I liked everything from his serve to his movement, via his forehand, but I was watching him compete against a player who had all but given up, so my opinion is likely to be a little misguided.

Couacaud-Mousley

The only single-handed backhand I saw all day belonged to Mousley. It's just a shame that he was far too erratic to cause many problems for the Frenchman. The Australian was able to win his fair share of points with a good array of ground-stroke winners, but Couacaud was just too solid on the day. A marvelous display of counter-punching tennis from him earned him an easy win.

Milojevic-Medvedev

I watched very little of this, and the reason for that is it was so easy for the Serb. I didn't rate him much before the tournament started, and my opinion hasn't changed. He can hit the ball extremely well off both sides, but there is literally nothing to go with it. Medvedev wasn't solid enough to win this, but Milojevic is no worthy number two.

#43 ·
Round 3

Hyeon CHUNG (KOR) d. Nick KYRGIOS (AUS) [1] 6-2 6-2
Borna CORIC (CRO) [8] d. Filippo BALDI (ITA) [9] 6-4 7-5
Laslo DJERE (SRB) [4] d. Thanasi KOKKINAKIS (AUS) (WC) 3-6 6-2 6-0
Maximilian MARTERER (GER) d. Christian GARIN (CHI) [7] 6-3 3-2 Ret.
Kyle EDMUND (GBR) [5] d. Jonny O'MARA (GBR) (Q) 6-3 6-2
Stefan KOZLOV (USA) d. Alexander ZVEREV (GER) [3] 1-6 6-4 4-0 Ret.
Gianluigi QUINZI (ITA) [6] d. Johan Sebastien TATLOT (FRA) [10] 6-1 6-1
Nikola MILOJEVIC (SRB) [2] d. Enzo COUACAUD (FRA) 7-5 6-4

#45 ·

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/news/articles/bencic-progresses-but-kyrgios-falls.aspx

Boy’s top seed Nick Kyrgios was stunned 62 62 by Hyeon Chung of Korea while third seed Alexander Zverev was forced to quit in the third set of his match with 15-year-old American Stefan Kozlov because of a shoulder injury and seventh seed Christian Garin from Chile, the French Open winner, quit when trailing Maximilian Marterer of Germany 63 32 with Achilles pain.

In the boys’ event, Kyrgios suffered a shock defeat by Chung, who played superb tennis to win in straight sets. “I didn’t feel any pressure because he’s the top seed,” Chung said. “I have been feeling very confident and played well. It took me some time to get used to the grass but now I am playing very well on it.”

Kozlov showed he could be a major force in the junior game with a fine win over third seed Zverev.

“I was really, really nervous, that was the most nervous I have ever been,” Kozlov said. “After a break between the first and second sets, I came back not worrying as much, just trying to play my game. It took a few games because the first set was pretty bad, first set I was tight.

“I played him two years ago and I won 1 and 1 so I knew he was looking for revenge and I knew he was playing really well.”

Kozlov now plays fifth seed Kyle Edmund, who beat fellow Brit Jonny O’Mara 63 62. “I think I won’t be nervous tomorrow,” Kozlov said. “I play Kyle, he’s a couple of years older than me so it should be good.”

Second seed Nikola Milojevic of Serbia beat Enzo Couacoud of France 75 64 and now plays sixth seed Gianluigi Quinzi of Italy, who crushed Johan Sebastien Tatlot 61 61.

Another Serbian, fourth seed Laslo Djere, came from behind for the second straight round, beating Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis 36 62 60 while eighth seed Borna Coric of Croatia ousted ninth seed Filippo Baldi of Italy 64 75.

#47 ·

Kiko Silva and Kyle Edmund made 11 out of 11 in grand slams. Today it wasn't easy, but it was against 2 good players. I am confident they will win their 3 slam. Shame Silva didn't choose to play AO. Would be magical to make 4 slam tittles in a row.

#48 ·

Kiko Silva and Kyle Edmund made 11 out of 11 in grand slams. Today it wasn't easy, but it was against 2 good players. I am confident they will win their 3 slam. Shame Silva didn't choose to play AO. Would be magical to make 4 slam tittles in a row.
And Silva was really out of shape today. Clearly the lost on singles affected him. I saw the match by stream and he can be graceful to Edmund to stay alive in doubles, wasn't moving at all and missed easy shots.

#49 ·

Hi Bulldog

What think of Johan Sebastien TATLOT is he aggressive baseline, I heard he kinda a little similar too Tsonga ?

Nikola MILOJEVIC is he more of an he offensive or defensive type of player ?

#55 ·

Hi Bulldog

What think of Johan Sebastien TATLOT is he aggressive baseline, I heard he kinda a little similar too Tsonga ?

Nikola MILOJEVIC is he more of an he offensive or defensive type of player ?
Tatlot seems to play with the same kind of intensity to Tsonga, but he seems much more compact. I think the comparison has only been made as both are black. Tatlot has some game for sure, good movement, that was what impressed me the most. He got beaten too easily by Quinzi for my liking though. He seems aggressive though.

Milojevic plays the game in a very measured way. Medvedev wasn't a strong opponent though, so it's tough to define Milojevic's gamestyle. He seemed to take on anything he could, but didn't seem overly aggressive.

#52 ·

Looks like all junior matches are being streamed live today. This is a great day for fans of junior tennis!
Already were yesterday.

#57 ·

Wasn't streamed in my country yesterday, or on any of the underground websites I know of. Where'd you find ALL the junior matches yesterday?

In North America it can be found on ESPN3. In and maybe near England, I've heard of something called Red Button that might have it. If your country doesn't get these things I'll message you another site that streams sports online (not legally).
ESPN 3 streamed them yesterday

#63 ·
Quarterfinals

Hyeon CHUNG (KOR) d. Borna CORIC (CRO) [8] 7-6(5) 6-3
Maximilian MARTERER (GER) d. Laslo DJERE (SRB) [4] 6-3 6-4
Kyle EDMUND (GBR) [5] d. Stefan KOZLOV (USA) 4-6 6-1 6-3
Gianluigi QUINZI (ITA) [6] d. Nikola MILOJEVIC (SRB) [2] 6-4 6-3

#64 · (Edited)

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/bd/index.html

Code:
1st Round

Kyle EDMUND (GBR) / Frederico Ferreira SILVA (POR) [1] 7-5 4-6 6-3     Daniel WINDAHL (SWE) / Elias YMER (SWE)
    Maximilian MARTERER (GER) / Lucas MIEDLER (AUT)        6-4 6-4         Samm BUTLER (GBR) / Billy HARRIS (GBR)
    Luca CORINTELI (USA) / Lucas GOMEZ (MEX)               6-3 4-6 6-2     Hyeon CHUNG (KOR) / Duck Hee LEE (KOR)
    Clement GEENS (BEL) / Noah RUBIN (USA) [6]             6-3 6-3         Peter ASHLEY (GBR) / Alexander SENDEGEYA (GBR)
    Benjamin BONZI (FRA) / Quentin HALYS (FRA)             Walkover        Christian GARIN (CHI) / Nicolas JARRY (CHI) [3]
    Jay ANDRIJIC (AUS) / Bradley MOUSLEY (AUS)             6-3 7-6(4)      Evan HOYT (GBR) / Wayne MONTGOMERY (RSA)
    Julian CASH (GBR) / Joshua SAPWELL (GBR)               6-7(4) 6-4 6-4  Stefan KOZLOV (USA) / Spencer PAPA (USA)
    Enzo COUACAUD (FRA) / Stefano NAPOLITANO (ITA)         6-4 6-4         Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) / Gianluigi QUINZI (ITA) [7]
    Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN) / Jorge Brian PANTA (PER) [5] 6-4 2-6 6-1     Seong Chan HONG (KOR) / Young Seok KIM (KOR)
    Maxime JANVIER (FRA) / Kamil MAJCHRZAK (POL)           6-1 7-5         Luke BAMBRIDGE (GBR) / Cameron NORRIE (GBR)
    Thanasi KOKKINAKIS (AUS) / Nick KYRGIOS (AUS)          4-6 6-3 6-4     Rafael MATOS (BRA) / Marcelo ZORMANN (BRA)
    Hugo DI FEO (CAN) / Mazen OSAMA (EGY)                  6-7(1) 7-6(7) 6-3   Pedro CACHIN (ARG) / Guillermo NUNEZ (CHI) [4]
    Johannes HAERTEIS (GER) / Hannes WAGNER (GER)          6-3 7-6(1)      Cem ILKEL (TUR) / Matej MARUSCAK (SVK)
    Laslo DJERE (SRB) / Martin REDLICKI (USA)              7-6(7) 6-2      Jamie MALIK (GBR) / Robbie RIDOUT (GBR)
    Filippo BALDI (ITA) / Matteo DONATI (ITA)              6-7(4) 6-4 6-2  Borna CORIC (CRO) / Jonny O'MARA (GBR)
    Maxime HAMOU (FRA) / Johan Sebastien TATLOT (FRA) [2]  6-3 3-6 6-3     Karen KHACHANOV (RUS) / Daniil MEDVEDEV (RUS)

Code:
2nd Round

Kyle EDMUND (GBR) / Frederico Ferreira SILVA (POR) [1]  6-4 6-3           Maximilian MARTERER (GER) / Lucas MIEDLER (AUT)
    Clement GEENS (BEL) / Noah RUBIN (USA) [6]              6-4 6-4           Luca CORINTELI (USA) / Lucas GOMEZ (MEX)
    Jay ANDRIJIC (AUS) / Bradley MOUSLEY (AUS)              6-3 7-6(2)        Benjamin BONZI (FRA) / Quentin HALYS (FRA)
    Enzo COUACAUD (FRA) / Stefano NAPOLITANO (ITA)          7-6(3) 7-6(3)     Julian CASH (GBR) / Joshua SAPWELL (GBR)
    Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN) / Jorge Brian PANTA (PER) [5]  7-6(2) 7-6(3)     Maxime JANVIER (FRA) / Kamil MAJCHRZAK (POL)
    Thanasi KOKKINAKIS (AUS) / Nick KYRGIOS (AUS)           6-2 6-3           Hugo DI FEO (CAN) / Mazen OSAMA (EGY)
    Johannes HAERTEIS (GER) / Hannes WAGNER (GER)           6-3 6-3           Laslo DJERE (SRB) / Martin REDLICKI (USA)
    Filippo BALDI (ITA) / Matteo DONATI (ITA)               6-4 6-2           Maxime HAMOU (FRA) / Johan Sebastien TATLOT (FRA) [2]

#65 ·

12 out of 12. SIlva/Edmund team keeps on rolling, on their way to their 3rd slam. QF against Rubin/Geens tomorrow! Vamos!

#66 ·

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/news/articles/quinzi-and-edmund-set-up-semifinal-clash.aspx

Italy’s Gianluigi Quinzi and Kyle Edmund have been matching each other stride for stride as they find their feet on the men’s Tour; on Friday they will meet in a much-anticipated semi-final in the junior event at Wimbledon.

The Englishman beat Quinzi when they met at Roland Garros a couple of years ago but the left-handed Italian said he felt ready to gain his revenge and go one step further than last year.

“I won one time with Kyle and lost to him two years ago at the French Open, 6-3 in the third,” said Quinzi, a product of the Nick Bollettieri academy in Florida. “He’s a very good player and I respect him a lot but I think I am ready to win this tournament.”

Quinzi lost to Australia’s Luke Saville in the semi-finals here last year but said there was nothing more he could have done. “I remember I played unbelievable tennis in the semi-final,” he said. “I couldn’t believe I lost because mentally I thought I was going to win the tournament but Saville played unbelievable. I shook hands and said, maybe next year I’m going to come back.

“Now I’m in the semi-final again. Mentally I think I am ready to win – you have to think this way – but it will be a tough match. I am playing better than last year. I improved my serve and tried to change my forehand, to make it a bit flatter for grass. I’m coming to the net a little bit more and mentally I am strong now.”

Fifth seed Edmund, who received a wildcard into the main draw and played Jerzy Janowicz of Poland in round one, recovered from a set down to beat 15-year-old American Stefan Kozlov 46 61 63.

Kozlov broke serve to lead 1-0 in the second set but Edmund won six straight games to level and then, when the American was battling cramp in the latter stages, held his nerve to win the decider.

The other semi-final will be between Hyeon Chung of Korea and Maximilian Marterer of Germany. Chung followed up his win over No 1 seed Nick Kyrgios by beating eighth seed Borna Coric 76 63 while Marterer beat fourth seed Laslo Djere of Serbia 63 64.

#67 · (Edited)

Wow, it's joy to watch Quini play. He is so talened and strong, too. But movement will be a problem for top things. He can fix that. But he isn't champion, had so much semis and final on pro Tour but couldn't claim the title. i don't like to see that he already has suspension on his knee.
He is really sympatque unlike Korean arrogant geek Chung.

Can somebody upload this match on youtube, please? I would appricated that really.

#70 ·

Wow, it's joy to watch Quini play. He is so talened and strong, too. But movement will be a problem for top things. He can fix that. But he isn't champion, had so much semis and final on pro Tour but couldn't claim the title. i don't like to see that he already has suspension on his knee.
He is really sympatque unlike Korean arrogant geek Chung.

Can somebody upload this match on youtube, please? I would appricated that really.
Quinzi won a title in Morocco

#76 ·
Doubles

Code:
Quarterfinal

Kyle EDMUND (GBR) / Frederico Ferreira SILVA (POR) [1]     7-6(3) 6-3     Clement GEENS (BEL) / Noah RUBIN (USA) [6]
    Enzo COUACAUD (FRA) / Stefano NAPOLITANO (ITA)             3-6 6-3 6-4    Jay ANDRIJIC (AUS) / Bradley MOUSLEY (AUS)
    Thanasi KOKKINAKIS (AUS) / Nick KYRGIOS (AUS)              6-3 6-2        Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN) / Jorge Brian PANTA (PER) [5]
    Filippo BALDI (ITA) / Matteo DONATI (ITA)                  6-3 7-6(5)     Johannes HAERTEIS (GER) / Hannes WAGNER (GER)

#77 ·

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/news/articles/semifinals-day-at-junior-wimbledon.aspx

In the boys’ event, Quinzi ruined British hopes of a first champion in the event since 1962 when he edged out Kyle Edmund 64 64. A 13-minute eighth game in the first set proved crucial as the Italian held it, before closing out the set a couple of games later.

The second set was just as close as Edmund fought hard in front of his home crowd but the left-handed Quinzi held on to reach his first junior grand slam final, having lost in the semi-finals 12 months ago.

“I was a little bit nervous because it was so crowded,” Quinzi said.

“I knew what I had to do in the match. We played unbelievable tennis and tactically I played unbelievable. I am so happy to be in my first big junior final and I hope I can win it.”

Quinzi beat Chung when they played on grass but the Italian knows he needs to be on his game after the Korean, who ousted No 1 seed Nick Kyrgios earlier in the event, beat Germany’s Maximilian Marterer 67 61

63 to reach his first slam final.

“It feels more like a dream than reality at the moment,” Chung said.

“I am just going do to the same things, not change anything. He is probably more experienced than me. I need to make sure my mentality is good.”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.