Best match of Roger in 2008?

• Hamburg F Nadal 5:7 7:6 3:6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madrid Q DelPotro 6:3 6:3

Votes: 0 0.0%

Best match of Roger in 2008?

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  RogiFan88 
#1 ·
The official tennis season for Roger is over now and therefore I thought to start a poll to ask which in your opinion has been Rogers best match in 2008.
We haven't been spoiled as much as in the past with outstanding performances, but I hope I have choosen some matches which you would also name as Roger's best ones of this season :)
You can vote for more than one match if you want to and it would be great to hear some opinions for your choices.

#3 ·
AO vs Santoro he was playing flawless and it was great to watch him playing that match everything was working in a great way almost in a perfect way ;):D
also i liked his performance in Wimby regardless of the result:sad: but it was a great match to watch and his fight spirit
and his MC match against Nalbandian he played very very good on clay i rememberd when i was watching the match i had a lot of hopes that he would have a very big chances to win RG and to beat Nadal :sad::confused:

#10 ·
AO vs Santoro he was playing flawless and it was great to watch him playing that match everything was working in a great way almost in a perfect way ;):D
I remember some of the comments on GM after Roger won his first two matches in Melbourne. People wondered who would be able to stop him this season.

Here are highlights from the match against Fabrice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI8gxsQnvQw

and his MC match against Nalbandian he played very very good on clay i rememberd when i was watching the match i had a lot of hopes that he would have a very big chances to win RG and to beat Nadal :sad::confused:
:awww:

I like Roger's match-up against Nalbandian, even though David is able to really trouble him. But they often provide high quality tennis. I know how much we all were worried about Roger having to play against Nalby, who crushed Robredo in the previous round.

I'm afraid I have to go with two matches that he eventually lost, the Wimbly final and the TMC-match against Muzza.

Why? Because despite both of those matches ending up as heartbreakers, it showed very clearly a side of Roger that is often being unrecognized - his will to FIGHT, whatever happens.
You are right here, Karin. We have seen this side already in the past (like in the SF of the AO against Safin, in the TMC final of the same year against Nalbandian, the Rome final 2006, the Wimbledon final 2007...) and this year in the AO match against Tipsarevic and in the USO encounter against Andreev.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm afraid I have to go with two matches that he eventually lost, the Wimbly final and the TMC-match against Muzza.

Why? Because despite both of those matches ending up as heartbreakers, it showed very clearly a side of Roger that is often being unrecognized - his will to FIGHT, whatever happens.

He's going to need that will power more than ever in 2009, with all the young guns coming up - and I was just glad to see that it's still there... :)

#7 ·
Karin, I have to agree and disagree. Those 2 losses truly showed Roger's "will to win" is 2nd to none. However I really loved the Monte Carlo QF and US Open semi for how great his topspin backhand was working. It was like 2006 Roger on display for those 2 matches.

#11 ·
Yes I voted the Basel final because he simply was returning so crisply, however he served a lot better at the OPEN, definitely those two. However what Karin points out is very worth mentioning, those matches do show the true character of Roger the champion.

#16 ·
USO F is the most important win of the year, and he was playing a potentially more difficult and more in-form opponent, arguably overall his most difficult matchup on hard. Considering the pressure after the year he had experienced, he did quite well, especially during the first, third, and end of the second. That said, he was clearly more comfortable in Basel and closer to the old Fed than we have seen all year, winning his way by moving well, taking the ball early, and dominating with aggressive play as a result. He didn't exhibit this very consistently at USO, where he was more doing whatever worked to survive the moment. Basel F was the best he's played all year, but "best match" obviously means different things to different people.

#19 ·
I voted for Basel against Nalby... was a brilliant match, and good to see Fed on top form again. It really made me smile.

The match against Murray was the most important. But Murray was terrible.
Same goes for Djokovic... you could tell from the first few games Djoko wasn't going to win.

#23 ·
what do you mean by "best match"? biggest win or best played?

1 USO08 F d Murray 62 75 62 > a huge win after a challenging season
2 Basel08 F d Nalbandian 63 64 > well played match vs. an old rival, and at home

#25 ·
Best match IMO was the Monte Carlo QF against Nalbandian, he played awesome :hearts:

Biggest win was US Open final against Murray although the tennis was way below par.

#26 ·
yes, that MC QF d Nalby was a great match!! :cool: I really enjoyed that one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.