Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

648K views 5K replies 540 participants last post by  R 
#1 · (Edited)

this will become the mother of all sports quests in modern sports. it will be known going forward simply as "The Quest".

can he snatch a total of 100 titles before he hangs up his racquets? is that a viable goal for him to have?

and also what about 20 slams now that 17 are in the bag?

i know he wants slams but slams dont come easy after 30. he will be one of the exceptions obviously if it happens. where do you see his best chance at another slam? could it be on the u.s. open surface?

somebody won a french open at 31 for instance? what was his name? that is your question of the day. here is a hint: he was 6 foot 5 and he was a left hander.

muscles (rosewall) was making the finals of slams at some ridiculous old age. so if you have the talent and you can keep up on the fitness front you can certainly show up in the finals of slams.

See less See more
#1,574 ·
Very difficult to remain at the top of the game as long as Connors did with the surfaces so slow these days (longer points). I'm hopeful that Fed will choose the faster surfaces and forego the slower ones in 2013 since he's qualified to play whatever he wants. With adequate rest and breaks from the game, don't see why he shouldn't continue until his mid 30s barring injury.

I don't, however, see him playing for 2 years like Sampras out of the top 10 and losing early on. That entourage (parents, physio, nannies, children, etc) that he travels with is expensive and is a consideration that Sampras didn't have to deal with. Above all, increasing the Grand Slam count IMO is the most important. With the homogenization of the surfaces, no record (except maybe his 23 GS SFs) is safe.

#1,578 ·
if old legs has any since, he will skip shanghai, vulture basel, and attempt to defend paris and Year End Championships. he needs those indoor points these days, they are the source of his resurgence

djokovic has the Year End No 1 sealed up, more or less by virtue of simply playing tournaments

#1,587 ·
Federer can win his matches in Basel something like 6-2, 6-3 in less than hour in every round. It still takes some freshness off him, but it`s not that impossible for him to stay on top for 3 weeks in a row as someone suggests.
yes, but I think he will give too much priority to success in the WTF to play Bercy : the WTF is a tough competition where you need to be very good from the start and playing Bercy just before (which means playing 4 matches from thursday to sunday if you get to the final) is certainly not good to be in good form on, let's say, tuesday in the WTF.
something has to give coz he cant blow of two straight Masters 1000 events, it would kill all hopes of staying #1 for foreseeable future

#1,584 ·
It still takes some freshness off him, but it`s not that impossible for him to stay on top for 3 weeks in a row as someone suggests.
yes, but I think he will give too much priority to success in the WTF to play Bercy : the WTF is a tough competition where you need to be very good from the start and playing Bercy just before (which means playing 4 matches from thursday to sunday if you get to the final) is certainly not good to be in good form on, let's say, tuesday in the WTF.

#1,593 ·
^^ True, completely forgot about that week. :facepalm: Anyway if Roger misses Shanghai I think he will fight for all three titles left. It won`t be like he is going to Paris and his focus is somewhere else as it happened before.

I don`t think we will see Andy in Basel. But maybe duong is right and contrary to it he skips french Masters. Anyway I can`t imagine him fighting for titles everywhere, in all 5 things.

#1,594 ·
I don`t think we will see Andy in Basel. But maybe duong is right and contrary to it he skips french Masters. Anyway I can`t imagine him fighting for titles everywhere, in all 5 things.
last year, Murray asked a wild-card for Basel and withdrew at the last minute because he "had got something bad during his sleep in a bad Swiss bed"

then you can imagine that if he withdraws this year again, it will not be welcome ;)

And Murray has already had some stories which handicapped his reputation towards tournament organizers, then I think he will be careful about those things.

I think for a Brit like him, also so popular in his country this year then promotion in the week before the WTF this year will be welcome, the best schedule is to play Basel and skip Bercy. Also Murray has clearly prioritized events superior to MS1000 tournaments for one year or two.

As for Djokovic, I think he will play Bercy because of his choice not to play Basel or Valencia this year.

PS : please note that I'm not happy that Fed and Murray potentially skip Bercy as I have tickets there, and Fed and Murray were the two players I most appreciated watching live :sad:

#1,599 · (Edited)
He'll play in Shanghai according to the following September 24 Press Release from Juss Event Reuters:

久事赛事网讯 十月,申城进入秋高气爽的季节。伴随着浓浓的秋意,2012年上海劳力士大师赛即将于10月6日在旗忠网球中心盛大揭幕。日前,上海劳力士大师赛主办方确认,费德勒团队一行人已经完成了中国签证申请和酒店预订的工作,将与10月4日抵达上海。本次参赛,费德勒还带来了庞大的家族后援团,包括他的一双小女儿也会一同前来,为父亲的上海之行加油、助威,由此可见费天王对于本次上海劳力士大师赛的重视程度。

上海劳力士大师赛属于全球九站ATP1000系列赛事之一,也是亚洲唯一的一站。按照规则,ATP排名前20位选手强制参赛,如退出赛事将会被扣除一定积分以示惩罚,除非该选手享有豁免权。但要获得豁免权并不容易,符合以下三个条件之一可以豁免一站比赛:一是年满31岁,二是参加职业比赛超过600场,三是成为ATP巡回赛的职业选手超过12年(而且第一年必须参加12场以上巡回赛并夺得积分)。如果三个条件全部满足,则可以豁免参加ATP1000赛事,目前排名前20位选手中只有费德勒满足全部三项条件。

费德勒在参加戴维斯杯时曾经坦言伤病和疲劳让自己必须停下来休息,将会视情况调整接下来的赛程。但日前,费德勒已经通过其经纪人向上海劳力士大师赛致函,表示自己非常期待参加上海劳力士大师赛,为此将养精蓄锐,全力以赴,因为他对中国对上海球迷有特殊的感情。

“上海是我非常喜欢的城市,我享受在这里的每一次比赛。我非常高兴今年又能在这里与我的热情粉丝相聚,感谢他们对我的支持!”

32岁的费德勒,今年一直保持着稳定的高水平竞技状态。在辛辛那提大师赛夺得冠军后,费德勒已经把自己ATP1000大师赛的冠军头衔增加到了21个,追平了纳达尔所保持纪录,更可能在上海大师赛创下新纪录。同时,由于费德勒去年因伤缺席上海大师赛,使他今年在此项赛事中有可能获得1000净积分,这对于他力争年终排名第一有至关重要的作用,可以预见他将为此全力拼搏,发挥出最佳竞技状态。

费德勒此次出行上海还带来了庞大的家族后援团,其中包括他的一对双胞胎女儿还有妻子、丈母娘等至亲好友,这是费德勒第一次携如此庞大的团队来上海参赛。他已经专门向上海劳力士大师赛组委会申请准备家庭专用包厢。

:)

Edit: English rough translation didn't copy :shrug:..

Juss Event Reuters October, Shanghai is entering the autumn season. Accompanied by a deep sense of autumn, the 2012 Shanghai Rolex Masters upcoming grand opening at the Qi Zhong Tennis Center on October 6. A few days ago, Shanghai Rolex Masters organizers confirmed the the Federer team has completed work visa application and hotel reservations, and will arrive in Shanghai on October 4. For the competition, Federer also will bring a huge family backing group, including his pair of little daughters will come together to cheer for the father's trip to Shanghai, cheer, can be seen Federer for the Shanghai Rolex Masters the degree of attention.

Shanghai Rolex Masters is a global the nine stations ATP1000 Series tournament, is one of the only Asian stop. In accordance with the rules, the ATP top 20 players forced entries, such as exit the tournament will be deducted from certain points as a punishment, unless the player is entitled to immunity. To obtain immunity but not easy, to be exempted from a race meet one of the following three conditions: First, at least 31 years old to participate in the professional game over 600 games, three ATP Tour pros more than 12 years (and the first year must participate in the Tour more than 12 games and won integral). If all three conditions are met, the exemption participate in ATP1000 tournament, the top 20 players, only Federer to meet all three conditions.

After participating in the Davis Cup, Federer admitted to some injury and fatigue must be stopped to rest, and would adjust his schedule. But a few days ago, Federer through its broker sent a letter to the Shanghai Rolex Masters, very much looking forward to participate in the Shanghai Rolex Masters, this will recharge your batteries, go all out, because his Chinese fans in Shanghai have a special feeling. .

"Shanghai is a city that I really like, I enjoy every game here and I am very pleased to meet here together with my enthusiastic fans and thank them for supporting me!"

31-year-old Federer, this year, has maintained a stable high level of competitive state. Cincinnati Masters champion, Federer has of their own ATP1000 Masters titles increased to 21, tying the record of Nadal maintained, are more likely to set a new record at the Shanghai Masters. Federer absent through injury last year, the Shanghai Masters, the year 1000 net points in this event, which strive for his year-end ranking first have a crucial role, can be predicted that he would do this to struggle play the best competitive state.

Federer this trip will also bring a huge family backing group, including his twin daughters, wife, mother-in-law and other relatives and friends, this is the first time Federer is to bring such a large team competition in Shanghai. The Organizing Committee of the Shanghai Rolex Masters will prepare a family dedicated box.

Respectfully,
masterclass

#1,602 ·
So after this tread is on the brink of annihilation I'll bump it again. How do people rate RF's chances at equalling Mac's first of two records (875/77) in Shanghai. I say if he beats in Cilic in less than 1.5 hours, he stands a good chance against Murray. As for Djokovic, I hope he loses before the final for maximum point gain.

#1,603 ·
The courts suit Fed this year it seems so he should be the fave. He seemed a bit sluggish today, I think Muz will be tougher than Nole for him. Have to see how he does tomorrow. I think to have a realistic chance to get the YE number one he has to win here and have Nole lose before the finals. That would be a 640 point gain.

#1,611 ·
You can never count Fed out as the same way as you can never count Fed in (it's kinda weird, but it's true).
Federer won Indian Wells when nobody gave 2 cents for him, even defeating Nadal in an outdoor HC, everyone was like WHAAAAAT?.
But then, he also lost the Halle final in his best surface vs Haas.

I still think Andy will win this tournament, he has something in Shanghai we don't understand.
No, I don't think what some Muzzatardz say as "Murray's Shanghai is as Rafa's Montecarlo", no way, but still, he's the favorite for me.

I think Roger will win Basel, if he plays Paris he'll be the favorite, and he'd probably be the favorite for the WTF also, but that doesn't mean he'd win it, for the same reason I said before.

#1,606 ·
Whilst Murray should be tougher in rallies (I haven't seen a single match of him in Asia so far), Djokovic's serve has hugely improved. Then again, it seems to go away when he plays Fed, so you never know. Murray did beat Djoker on a similarly fast court in Dubai, so he is better in these conditions than No23.

#1,607 ·
Whilst Murray should be tougher in rallies (I haven't seen a single match of him in Asia so far), Djokovic's serve has hugely improved. Then again, it seems to go away when he plays Fed, so you never know. Murray did beat Djoker on a similarly fast court in Dubai, so he is better in these conditions than No23.
Verdasco? I do agree Murray is better than Verdasco.

#1,614 ·
You know this was possibly the only instance where I didn't spell Djoker's name as No23 on purpose (wanted No2e but the 3 was close
That has been a hilarious meme. Wouldn't it be funny if that appeared in some of the actual tennis publications and not just MTF.

#1,616 ·
said it earlier, but i don't see Federer winning shanghai, unless Murray and Djokovic really mug it up in the SF and F.

yes, the surface is playing faster (mainly because Federer moaned about it after losing to Murray in 2010, then again in 2011, and the chinese sped it up, so as to not upset himself), but he will be ground down by constantly rallies. his only hope is to keep the points short aka serve and volley

Basel is a given, the Roger Federer Invitational Tournament. so no 77 will be there

he's skipping Paris, and throwing away the Year End No 1

has to be the favourite for the Year End Championship

#1,617 ·
said it earlier, but i don't see Federer winning shanghai, unless Murray and Djokovic really mug it up in the SF and F.

yes, the surface is playing faster (mainly because Federer moaned about it after losing to Murray in 2010, then again in 2011, and the chinese sped it up, so as to not upset himself), but he will be ground down by constantly rallies. his only hope is to keep the points short aka serve and volley

Basel is a given, the Roger Federer Invitational Tournament. so no 77 will be there

he's skipping Paris, and throwing away the Year End No 1

has to be the favourite for the Year End Championship
Fed did not play in China in 2011 but OK.

#77 at Shanghai looks very unlikely (he's not solid enough for Murray-No2e B2B) but if he does he'll hold 4 ATP Masters 1000 + will be current Paris champion :worship:. He holds 4 currently.

#1,620 ·
So how do we feel about #77 at Basel, people? I hope he keeps it together and with Stan out of the way he won't have an emotional problem until the final where he'd face Marco :eek:. A match with Dimimug would be nice as well.
Yeah, no. Odds are he's facing Del Potro, and he's of course the clear favorite for the title, although JMDP could conceivably spoil the party.

#1,627 ·
So the great Roger Federer was a bit off track in this quest at the end of 2012. After racking up 6 titles until Cincinnati in August with one of them being a slam (Wimbledon) Roger failed to win any title until the end of the year.

Roger lost in the quarters at the US Open and had no chance in Shanghai where Murray soundly beat him. Roger had his chances in Basel losing a match he could very well have won (0/5 on BPs won). Roger also had some chances to take the WTF final to a 3rd set but failed to serve it out.

So, what awaits us in 2013....
Roger as already published his schedule. Miami and Basel are not on his schedule but we all know there will probably be other tournaments Roger won't play to be able to have some rest during the year. He has already stated that he will play a reduced number of tournaments in the upcoming years and that he'll try and play in the Olympics in Rio in 2016.
So what are your expectations for 2013? Will Roger keep adding enough titles and slams to keep the quest alive?

Roger currently has 76 titles of which 17 are slams. So he needs 24 titles of which 3 slams to complete the quest.

If we assume Roger plays until 2016 he would have 4 more years to do it. This means an average of 6 titles per year. He would also need to win 1 slam in 3 of those 4 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.