Mens Tennis Forums banner

2013 MTF Mug of the Month: Sao Paulo Beach Tennis February

10K views 139 replies 62 participants last post by  Rychu 
#1 · (Edited)
I will use Johnny's same format for the first post. And I will also retro-award November to Almagro and December to USTA based on the nominations made in the 2012 thread.

Kind of similar to the bandwagon player of the month award, this one is given to the player who loses terribly against people they should win against, sucks horribly, loses people money, says something arseclownish in an interview, has an incident in a match, whatever the case may be, but anything that gives that player "Mug Points"

Other criteria involve:

1. Playing well below your capability.

2. Mental incapacity (AKA: lack of balls)

3. Losing to someone you really shouldn't

4. Failing to live up to expectation

5. Losing Jaap or dylan money

6. Saying dumb shit in interviews, yelling at umpires, yelling at ballboys , and general arse-clowning

7. (Applies to organizations: bad organizing, play conditions, letting rain fall too much, or having pot holes on the courts)

January Champ- David Nalbandian
February Champ(s)- The Austrian Davis Cup team; namely Melzer, Koubek, and Eschauer
March Champ- Roger Federer
April Champ- Novak Djokovic
May Champ- Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
June Champ- American tennis
July Champ- Roger Federer

Discontinued the rest of 2008, 2009, 2010, and most of 2011. Now back, baby.

July Champ- Grigor Dimitrov
August Champ- Viktor Troicki
September Champ- Unites States Tennis Association (USTA)
October Champ- Robin Haase
November Champ- Thomaz Bellucci
December Champ- MTF
Mug of the Year- Fernando Verdasco http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...goftheYear.jpg

January Champ- Mardy Fish
February Champ- Alex Bogomuglov Jr. http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...heFebruary.jpg
March Champ- Simon Reed
April Champ- Ernests Gulbis
May Champ- Ion Tiriac
June Champ- David Nalbandian
July Champ- Donald Young
August Champ- Leonardo Mayer
September Champ- USTA (again)
October Champ- Janko Tipsarevic
November Champ- Nicolas Almagro
December Champ- USTA (yet again!!! :eek:)
Mug of the Year: Donald Young

January Champ- Nicolas Almagro
February Champ- Sao Paulo Organizers - also nominated for the 2013 Tiriac Trophy for worst clay surface of the year.

See less See more
#47 ·
Re: 2013 MTF Mug of the Month: Tsonga ready for his first award

Tomic is priming himself IMO.

#48 ·

Tsonga winning Marseille would make him totally undeserved* Mug of the Month. But 2nd loss to Hugeballos would secure this title to Rafa.

* I was almost to write underserved. That woulda been in the same category with underrented.

Reactions: Mateya
#49 ·

Tsonga to sweep the field this month :sport:

#54 ·

If Mugfin being double bagelled by Jarkko doesn't win for February, something is not right here...This muggy performance will not be outdone :haha: :haha:

#55 ·
Re: 2013 MTF Mug of the Month: Goffin double bagel fiesta

There's a bit of competition this week so far:

We have:
- Tsonga's early exit from Rotterdam
- Goffin's double bagel
- Sao Paulo tournament organizers and their incredibly bad surface.:rolleyes:
- Verdasco losing against a qualifier (not such a big deal)
- Nadal whining about everything nowadays.:facepalm:

So, which is the mug of the week in your opinions?:D

#56 ·

Goffin for now, but Sao Paulo and Nadal could still overtake him.

Monaco in the competition too, with losing two first (second) round matches in straights against opponents ranked 65 and 78 places below him.

#60 ·

The Goffin Troicki mugfest was this month? Then surely Goffin takes the lead. Choked to the king of choking himself 2 sets up and serving for the match. Then gets double bagelled :facepalm:

1. Goffin

[reasonable gap]

2. Mugaco
3. Tsonga
4. [WC] Fiasco

#63 ·

I vote for Sao Paulo organizers too, I mean, Goffin and Tsonga :facepalm: you both deserve a "Little mug" for your hard working on winning this award, but Sao Paulo organizers were reaaaaaaaaally pathetic.

#64 ·

Goffin literally cannot do more to earn this month's award tbh (other than setting fire to the Rotterdam locker room and kicking a few stray Dutch kittens) - both Davis Cup and the double bagel... i'd definitely still go for him, or if needs be, a joint award with Sao Paulo organizers.

#66 ·

Why is Tsonga even nominated? Because he lost a close match in a 500 tournament against a weaker opponent :rolleyes:? We'll have a really long list every month if that's the new criteria.

Should be a two horse race between Goffin and the Sao Paulo organizers; Goffin will have many more chances to get it, so I'd give it to the Sao Paulo organizers.

#73 ·
USTA saved Cilic in September, São Paulo organizers are gonna save Goffin in this month.

#81 ·
miami please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.