Mens Tennis Forums banner

2008 Vamos Argentina Davis Cup Thread

20K views 161 replies 24 participants last post by  Action Jackson 
#1 · (Edited)
Well since Gaston looks very unlikely to play in the Davis Cup tie against the Swedes. It doesn't mean we can support the Argentine team whoever plays in it and yes that includes players we don't necessarily like.

They should be good enough to win this tie and the team of Nalle, Chela, Calleri and Acasuso isn't a bad team under the circumstances and any news relating to the tie would be appreciated for sure.

Vamos Argentina.

#136 ·
Great to see Gaston and nearly all of the players there to support the current team.

#138 ·
They are on the way to making to the DC final and it will be at home.

There are so many people involved, but they tend to be forgotten.

#141 ·
Good that nearly everyone was there to support the team and Gaston of course turned up.

1 all, well just makes the doubles even more crucial than it was before.

#146 ·
I´m angry too, but for different reasons. There are widespread rumours that Nalbandian fought with poor Del Potro yesterday, he then had a heated argument with Mancini regarding who should be the other singles player on Sunday, and today he had a fight with Calleri. I´m fed up with this diva attitude. He then stomped off and shirked the press conference and will be fined 10,000 dollars by the ITF. I think Del Potro needs lots of support from fellow players and the media right now when he must be feeling like hell, and Calleri played better than Nalbandian today, above his ranking, so what´s DN´s beef anyway? If Acasuso plays the fourth rubber tomorrow and loses, I hope people will recognize his courage playing the decisive match against a much higher ranked player and not crucify him.

I´m also upset by the Argentine crowd´s unsporting attitude. Today I felt embarrassed by my fellow-countrymen! I want Argentina to win, but not this way...:(

#152 ·
Nothing more to add jayjay.

Nalbandian has been the backbone of the Argentine team pretty much since he came into it. He is always there when he is fit to play.

The fiasco with Mar del Plata well that's a distraction and this stuff happens within a team environment, better getting the shit out of the system and than bottling it up and then move forward.

#153 ·
Nobody can be blamed.

Not Mancini, because he did what was the best for the team in his opinion (and I agree with him)
I like Calleri a lot, but for a singles match that could go to 5 sets, he isn't the best option, so imo Lulli was right to get Chucho in the team.

Not Delpo because he didn't play well on Friday. He was under pressure and he's only human. Moreover it was thanks to his performance last time that Argentina is there in the final.

Not Nalby for letting his emotions go. Better let it out then bottle it all up. But now he shouldn't look back, only forward to what's coming today.

This DC is very important to them and the pressure must be enormous and then this kinda thing happens.

Hope they go for it today and win the whole thing!

#154 ·
I have been remiss and so busy with work ( yes I am actually at work today) and life in general that I have not been able to watch any of the matches. I just hope they can pull it out. This will be difficult but you never know.
Vamos Argentina!!

#155 ·
Spain were too good and they played like a unit that cared for each other.

Yes, it's disappointing for Argentina to lose this, when everything is in their favour. Del Potro chose not to rest the toe problem that he had in Vienna in pursuit of Shanghai, when he has plenty of opportunities to make the Masters, he had enough chances to seal the deal.

Couldn't get the doubles happening and Chucho tried his heart out, but couldn't get it done.

Clearly the better team won.

#158 ·
I respect Jayjay´s loyalty, she´s a true fan, and I agree with much of what she says. Nalbandian is undoubtedly our most important DC player, because he´s the best Argentine player and because he´s set his heart upon winning the Cup. In the past, the lack of other top players has made him play three days running, even though physically he was never able to play more than two rubbers well. (This time he couldn´t keep up his good form even for the doubles match.)

I believe that Del Potro was justified in going to Shanghai. He reached his current ranking mainly because he had no points to defend, but who knows if he´ll be in the top eight in the future? He didn´t go for the money but because he couldn´t let this chance go by. Even if he hadn´t played, he was already burnt out at the end of the year, and his toenails problem is no worse today than three weeks ago. (Btw, Verdasco had the same problem and played DC heavily bandaged).

The other Argentine players are all going through a bad patch in their careers and their rankings have slumped, so all they could do was play their best and pray that it would be sufficient.

In this context, when JMDP lost on Friday what was needed was a supportive attitude from Nalbandian and Mancini, the mainstays of the group, to make the other players feel more confident and to keep up the team spirit. Instead, Nalbandian vented his anger on the team. Once a model of unity, it´s not united anymore...

The Spanish team was an example of fair play and sportsmanship and the captain made each of his players feel special. Verdasco said "Emilio gets into your head so then you play two against one".

This time the crowd was a bit better behaved and they ended up applauding the winners. Feliciano also led the 1000 Spaniards present to cheer for Argentina!

I was pleased to see that Acasuso got the biggest cheer during the prize-giving. Both in 2006 and today he had to face the hardest matches of his life with little chance of winning, and still he put up a good fight.

#160 ·
I hope del Potro and the others have been humbled by this experience, this generation have pretty much lost their chance to win a DC, if they don't do it within 2 seasons, then it's not happening.

jayjay is a he.

#161 ·
I hope del Potro and the others have been humbled by this experience.
Why would anyone want them all to be humbled?:confused: Del Potro is just a kid, the second tier of Calleri, Acasuso et al. have made sacrifices to play for their country and frequently got criticized in the process, and Nalbandian is our best player, he´s the main reason we´ve reached two DC finals and unfortunately he´s also responsible for disrupting the team´s unity.

#162 ·
Del Potro made a particular decision of going to Shanghai when clearly not fit and this had a negative impact on the rest of the team and Nalbandian let him know that. Del Potro didn't understand what this meant, as he will have plenty of opportunities to make a Masters Cup, but not many to win this event at home.

Calleri and Acasuso have nothing to be criticised for, they tried their best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.