Mens Tennis Forums banner

Does Christmas Piss Anyone Else Off?

8K views 136 replies 56 participants last post by  MathMul 
#1 ·
I'm talking with non-Christian people who live in a Christian society.

It's nothing better than racism. It's the same concept. Leave a whole group of people out, and then rub it in their faces.

The constant advertising, the non-stop songs, the teachers asking kids what they got for "Christmas" (which excludes other holidays)

Why is this allowed in today's society?

I'm sure I'm not the only one pissed off. I know nothing about it will change in my lifetime, but I just felt the need to write this up. If I wrote this in an academic paper I would most likely get in trouble.

Are there any Christians who would care to refute?

Discuss.

Reactions: Nole Rules
#60 ·
I like the decorations and atmosphere of it but I can't stand the presents part.

Holding a piece of shit without saying it's shit takes some effort. There aren't many things mortals can give to Slade that Slade desires.

Also giving someone a gift and getting an easy read on them that they don't like it makes me think it's a waste of time buying them the gift in the first place. Obviously it's not because people appreciate the intent but still... :shrug:

#61 ·
I like the decorations and atmosphere of it but I can't stand the presents part.

Holding a piece of shit without saying it's shit takes some effort. There aren't many things mortals can give to Slade that Slade desires.

Also giving someone a gift and getting an easy read on them that they don't like it makes me think it's a waste of time buying them the gift in the first place. Obviously it's not because people appreciate the intent but still... :shrug:
Truth be told mate. Truth be fucking told.

I still have a Peter Griffin figurine still in it's packaging from 2 years ago, and it's sitting in my computer desk cabinet. Not that it's a totally shit present... but c'mon.

#68 ·
Random question, but is anyone still arsed to make the Christmas Tree?
I have a really cute little fake tree -- barely 2 feet tall. I have a small apartment and not really interested in much bigger. It's predecorated, too. But it's a nice fake tree, not those cheesy ones. Good you reminded me to bring it out. I'll try to take a pic. :D

#70 ·
I have a really cute little fake tree -- barely 2 feet tall. I have a small apartment and not really interested in much bigger. It's predecorated, too. But it's a nice fake tree, not those cheesy ones. Good you reminded me to bring it out. I'll try to take a pic. :D
2 feet tall? Pre-decorated?! Where's the Christmas spirit in that!!? I suppose everyone's CBF at making a proper one (although my tree is fake as well). But I did mine yesterday. Been doing it by myself these last 4-5 years :sobbing:

As with a lot of holiday innovations, ''regifting'' originated on a Seinfeld episode.
I know, but I'm being serious. No one will actually want it.

#64 ·
It wasn't the case until I moved to the US of A. Just 10 minutes of stupid songs on December 1 in a mall made me want to kill myself. But nowhere to go, every store, cafe, coworker's car and office building in town has the stupid songs for the whole damn month. Awful.

#71 ·
I don't think my parents are going to set up a tree this year because I left home and they'd be too lazy/tired to do it.

#74 ·
Not Christmas itself, but the craziness on the roads and in stores pretty much for almost 2 months before does get on my nerves.

#78 ·
Both. Then again my brother is probably the only person I've ever met that I could successfully buy a gift for that isn't some shitty DVD that requires zero thought. Anyone else I would just embarrass myself with my ineptitude. Fortunately my family has no qualms about me donating money for charities as their gift.

#79 ·
I'm an atheist and I like christmas. I get what you mean though, the religious part of it annoys me, but it is overwhelmed by the "jolly" commercial part of it.

I'd like to expand on this subject a little though. In Holland pretty much all holidays are grounded in Christianity. As an aspiring multi-cultural country I find this highly irritating. It would be wiser to have holidays that have nothing to do with any religion, but everytime this is suggested Christians bring the "tradition"-excuse.

If it were up to me, religion had no say whatsoever in the public domain. That doesn't mean we can't all have a good time though :)

#84 ·
No because 4th of July doesn't get rubbed in their faces like Christmas does :eek: :facepalm:

#93 ·
There will always be trees for sale as long as there is a demand. This argument you are using is not really valid. However, I strongly believe people are overreacting with all this save the trees craziness.

On topic: I hate pretending I like the gifts I receive :( And in my country you can't really exchange stuff in stores.

#95 ·
If there's one compensation for this most mercenary time in the calendar, it's the host of twisted, cynical, and blackly comic Christmas television and cinema we've had over the years. A definitive list would take too long, but for a snapshot we've got the violent ice cream wars in 'Comfort and Joy'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsw1I15Fj9I), hunted sorority girls in 'Black Christmas'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWmNXkQOiM), a dismembered stop motion Danny DeVito in 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydgdtEZdbY), Alison Brie's bust almost spilling out of a dress in 'Community'(http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2011/12/a-collection-of-community-christmas-gifs/#page/5), and Charlie tearing out Santa's throat in 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGBQzMzdcCk).

All yuletide naysayers can chew some coal whilst watching some of these alternative Christmas perspectives; you're not alone if you hate the season.

#96 ·
It's that time of year again!

#97 ·
Christmas is as ugly as any commercial/capitalist holiday.

People are nervous and act stupidly during Christmas (/New Year's Eve). Then it all falls down come January 2nd and everything comes back to normal and nobody gives a s*** about other people anymore.

People are brainwashed, seriously.

#102 ·
we are away from our family;my mom doesn't get along with 1 part of the family and I stay away from that bunch as well since they argue and almost always physically fight each other;it's fucking cold as hell in Chicago and mom hates Christmas and in a way after years of her bitching and moaning;her hate for christmas and the holydays has kind of rubbed off on me

damn it make it go away soon so she can stop being so difficult being around :mad:

#104 · (Edited)
I don't celebrate the holidays myself (we call it "jul" - after "yule/yuletide" - rather than "Christmas" in Norway), but I've stopped being all propagandist about it. It's a mishmash, a hodgepodge of various influences - religious, pagan or otherwise. For the most part it's a welcome (or not so welcome, in some cases) excuse for people to spend time with family members they don't usually associate with. And the food. The food is the best part of this particular time of the season. I cooked myself a nice meal today. I spent the day alone. I have a friend whose birthday coincides with Yule Eve/Christmas Eve (which is the central date of celebration in Norway). He's dying from ALS, a neurodegenerative disease, so it may very well be his last birthday (I raise my glass to you tonight, Petter).

This year I received the best present ever: my mother gave me a gift card for a local cheese shop. Despite the fact we share different sentiments and philosophies about Christmas (she’s a Christian, I’m an atheist) we’re both devoted Pythonites. Thanks, mom. Hopefully Melkerampa has better sortiment than Wensleydale’s.

Reactions: Litotes
#107 ·
I'm very sorry about your friend... :sad:

Kudos to you for celebrating it alone, the worst thing you can do is cram a family together in one room just because of a holiday. If the only time you see your family is during the holidays, then chances are you really couldn't give two shits about them :lol:
It pissed me off more this year with all those "miracle stories" and the other sappy crap. I hate all major religions so I obviously can't stand the religious component of Christmas.

My Christmas was pretty boring.

An earthquake is more entertaining :lol:
They have those every year... Possibly the most annoying term ever is 'Christmas Miracle' :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.