Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rhyne Williams

138K views 1K replies 31 participants last post by  kidbourbon 
#1 ·
Has anyone here seen Rhyne play? He's only 16 (born on 3-22-1991) and the 10th ranked junior player in the world.

More impressive than that however, is that Rhyne is in the final of USA F16 Futures this week. :eek:

Hope to see Rhyne continue to get solid results on the pro tour.

#414 ·
Go Rhyne
best luck to you

#416 ·
I go to do it for you

#418 ·
can't believe he is very inconsistent

#426 ·
From Tennys to Rhyne

Too much bromance. Oh btw, I just love their names...so unique

Rhyne Williams ‏@RhyneWilliams
Thanks for the duck caller @TennysSandgren the neighbors are already getting ticked! #dynasty #Si #gung pic.twitter.com/mEviASSF4J
Tennys Sandgren ‏@TennysSandgren
@RhyneWilliams YES it finally came! How do u like the inscription?? #B+D
Rhyne Williams ‏@RhyneWilliams
@TennysSandgren What!?!? I didn't even notice will check it out when I get back. Wow how did I miss that. Sorry bout today Gia :( damish

Super super short video interview

#430 ·
The Backboard: How Do Isner, Mónaco, Almagro and Rhyne Williams Use Video And Stats?

The Backboard: How Do Isner, Mónaco, Almagro and Rhyne Williams Use Video And Stats?
By Juan José on April 17, 2013

Welcome to The Backboard, the new home for some of my tennis thoughts and musings. This column will appear every Monday here at The Changeover (this week is an exception). You can find past editions of The Backboard here.
How Do the Houston Semifinalists Use Video and Stats?

As you know, I’m more than a little fixated on the use of statistics and video in sports. I wondered in this same space whether tennis was in the dark ages in terms of using such contemporary tools. Well, last week I had a chance to go gather some information from the players themselves.

While I was covering the Houston ATP 250, also known as the US Men’s Clay Court Championship, I took the opportunity to ask the four men who made the semifinals of the event the same question regarding stats and video. It was simple:

“Do you and/or your team look at statistics or video (of you or your opponents) for scouting, or your own development?”

The answers, unsurprisingly, were quite different. The four men, in case you forgot, were:

- Nicolás Almagro

- Juan Mónaco

- John Isner, and

- Rhyne Williams

A Spaniard, an Argentine, and two Americans. Their respective ages? 27, 29, 27 and 22 (though Isner will turn 28 in less than two weeks).......

.....Rhyne Williams Houston SFs

“Oh, absolutely. Not so much opponents, but my coach videos just about every match I play. A lot of practices, too. So we constantly are looking at video of me to work on things and notice patterns and stuff like that. But, as for opponents, you just gotta ask around. I mean, I’ve seen Almagro play on TV several times, so I kinda know – everyone kinda knows everybody. You can always get some tips from a couple players here and there. But the videoing of my own stuff has been huge for me.”

This was a fascinating answer, and something that had a familiar ring to me. Just days before, I had seen how Craig O’Shannessy (who writes his Brain Game columns for the ATP site as well as for the New York Times Straights Sets blog) unmounted a video camera from the back fence of the court that had just seen his pupil Connor Curry (a high-school junior from Texas) lose his first round qualifying match at the Houston event. Given the equipment Craig had there, it didn’t seem like it was the first time he was taping a tennis match.

Maybe this is the new trend of American coaching: watching a lot of video of the player in question and figuring out where things are problematic, and using all the visual information to fine tune a young person’s game.

Regardless, it was interesting to hear how in Isner and Williams’ case, both players seemed quite engaged with (and happy to acknowledge the positive effect of) their use of video. It also seemed like their relationship with their teams wasn’t as role-defined as in the case of Almagro and Mónaco......
Why Nicolás Almagro’s serve is so great – by Rhyne Williams (after losing to Nicolás Almagro in the Houston semifinals)

“It’s such a quick motion that you don’t really have time to anticipate. Maybe some other guys have longer motions and you can kind of tell with the toss where they’re going to go. But his (Almagro’s) is so rapid-fire, so it’s just….I mean, it doesn’t look like he’s going to crush it, but it comes in so fast, and he can pretty much hit every serve, so, uh, I mean…it’s a darn good shot.”

I asked Rhyne about Almagro’s powerful serve after the former Tennessee man lost in the semifinals to the Houston top seed. Given the quality of Williams’ answers in previous days, I was intrigued to hear what the youngster thought about this most unique (and potent) weapon of the ATP World Tour. Rhyne did not disappoint.

Nicolás Almagro, lest we forget, is still leading the tour in the aces category this season (he’s got an 8 ace lead over John Isner), even though he’s played all but three of his events this year on clay (those being the Australian Open, Indian Wells and Miami). I watched Almagro serve in practice, and obviously during matches, and I couldn’t help but marvel at how great his serve is. Almagro is 6 feet tall – not a huge guy. It’s just incredible how his arm and torso just hammer the ball so violently (and accurately) over and over again. .

Sadly, Almagro’s serve did let the Spaniard down in the final: of his four double faults in the deciding match, three came in games where he got broken. Two of them in the key 5-all game in the second set.
http://www.changeovertennis.com/the...e-video-and-stats-also-a-new-rankings-system/

#432 · (Edited)
(1)David Goffin (BEL) vs Gastao Elias (POR)
Federico Delbonis (ARG) vs Joao Souza (BRA)
(q) vs Joao Sousa (POR)
Guido Pella (ARG) vs (6)Kenny De Schepper (FRA)

(4)Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) vs (q)
(WC)Josselin Ouanna (FRA) vs (WC)Gael Monfils (FRA)
(q) vs John Millman (AUS)
Rhyne Williams (USA) vs (8)Martin Alund (ARG)

(5)Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) vs Steve Johnson (USA)
(WC)Pierre-Hugues Herbert (FRA) vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
(WC)Florent Serra (FRA) vs (q)
Jack Sock (USA) vs (3)Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)

(7)Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) vs Marc Gicquel (FRA)
Michael Berrer (GER) vs Marius Copil (ROU)
Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) vs Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (ESP)
Denis Kudla (USA) vs (2)Michael Llodra (FRA)

Not a very good draw. Alund is a veteran who makes a living off of clay, but good luck.

#437 ·
What's wrong!

#438 · (Edited)
No hat in sight

Rare pictures of Rhyne without a hat.

Kendall Bateman ‏@kendall_bateman

@SJohnson_89 embracing the euro fashion. Technical foul given by @RhyneWilliams for the manscarf. #badchoice pic.twitter.com/IatISP1hR2

CpatWilliams Christopher Williams
@rhynewilliams signed autographs for 20 minutes straight. #champ pic.twitter.com/XtDLb7vjWp

Attachments

#442 · (Edited)
Re: Rhyne's Pictureography: A Story Full Of Cuteness

Listen to Isner and lay off the croissants Rhyne!

Rhyne is 3rd from the left, to his right is Billy Heiser (Tim Smyczek's coach), then Christopher Williams, Tennys Sandgren, Jack Sock, and ???

Old mugshots, I mean credentials. Rhyne at the bottom, Smyczek on top.

Attachments

#443 ·
Rhyne go for title

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.