Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

648K views 5K replies 540 participants last post by  R 
#1 · (Edited)

this will become the mother of all sports quests in modern sports. it will be known going forward simply as "The Quest".

can he snatch a total of 100 titles before he hangs up his racquets? is that a viable goal for him to have?

and also what about 20 slams now that 17 are in the bag?

i know he wants slams but slams dont come easy after 30. he will be one of the exceptions obviously if it happens. where do you see his best chance at another slam? could it be on the u.s. open surface?

somebody won a french open at 31 for instance? what was his name? that is your question of the day. here is a hint: he was 6 foot 5 and he was a left hander.

muscles (rosewall) was making the finals of slams at some ridiculous old age. so if you have the talent and you can keep up on the fitness front you can certainly show up in the finals of slams.

See less See more
#32 ·
Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assasin

Fed is turning 31 this August...in other words he will now NOT be bound by any ATP rules regulation regarding Compulsory Tournaments to be played

So i think he will use that to his advantage to skip MS and smaller tourny for GS's

so realistically speaking 80-82

#36 ·

31 is nothing for Fed.

i just revised my estimate of how long he will play:

he plays and competes until he is 40.
of course, he made a deal with satan himself (NIKE), and he will be playing untill they say its enough :wavey:

#49 ·

if he snags another 5-6 titles this year, that makes 77 already.

now we are talking just 23 for the next 6 years. do the math.

and he is likely to play until he is 40.
:haha: Federer might play until 34 at the absolute most.

#37 ·

if he plays to 35 then its....... possible

for sure he can win a handfull of 250s every year
maybe a 500 a year
couple of WTF left in him
(hopefully) a slam
and maybe a couple of masters

thats maybe 20 titles- so 90 is a stretch- well either way its possible but i doubt it

but to be able to do it says alot about his amazing consistency

probably says a hell lot more about how legendary connors, lendl, mac, rosewall and laver were

#38 ·

He should feast on upcoming youngsters in the 250 category, maybe even add some challengers later on. Just to make sure they all lose hope before they reach the top, and therefore become a threat to RF's GOAT status.

He should do this until he's about 40-45.

#40 ·

is this the best jinx attempt ever or what?

#45 ·

is this the best jinx attempt ever or what?
you folks are truly negative. this is an honest thread.

i suggest you come up with an honest chat.

not everybody is a hapless, legless, toothless, spineless, gutless, and eyeless ejaculite from the lost world of Ejacustan.

some of us actually know our tennis.

#42 ·

I doubt this will happen and I'd rather see him winning another GS than 20 more 250-500 tournaments ;)

#43 ·

I doubt this will happen and I'd rather see him winning another GS than 20 more 250-500 tournaments ;)
winning atp 250 means 4 matches in 7 days and at least big effort in possible final with Troicki, Cilic or Verdasco. He could win 20 of these in a one single year, but why doing this cuase he can easily be no.3 with 2 or 3 titles

#48 ·

actually it is also about the ranking for him: he has said this many times and he said it again last week. he said he would like to be #1 again.

so winning titles--large and small--will get him to where he wants to go. not saying he will get there definitely but that is his thinking anyway.

he is working hard on his fitness and his game. there is a reason for that.

#62 ·

actually it is also about the ranking for him: he has said this many times and he said it again last week. he said he would like to be #1 again.

so winning titles--large and small--will get him to where he wants to go. not saying he will get there definitely but that is his thinking anyway.

he is working hard on his fitness and his game. there is a reason for that.
It's my belief that it Federer's fitness that is letting him down in the big matches in the grand slams (alongside the Nadal match up issue). Take the Djokovic match in the US Open in 2011. Federer played out of his mind putting everything into the first 2 sets, a level of play he has to reach to beat Djokovic. But he took his foot off the pedal in sets 3 and 4, and Djokovic came back into the match, as Federer stopped moving as well. Then it was noticeable how Federer upped his level in the 5th set, working much harder to retrieve balls to stay in points. He should've won the match. But that's my point. His fitness is not good enough to compete against Djokovic or Nadal at the required level over 5 sets on slow courts. In fact Federer in al likelihood would struggle against Murray on slow courts as well over 5 sets (barring a Murray choke). Had Federer beaten Djokovic in 2011 US Open semi-final then I am certain Nadal would've beaten him in the final as that centre court looked very slow, and Federer just would not have been able to hang tough in the long rallies, something that is critical in beating Nadal as Djokovic has shown again and again.

As for winning 100 titles? All down to whether Federer wants too. As others have said, he could quite easily just play 20 ATP250 events every year and win them all for the next 5 years as the opposition just is nowhere good enough to beat him bar whomever reaches the final. But Federer won't, as he wants the big titles. The ones which are hard to win. They define greatness. The slams.

#50 ·

last 4 years

2008 4 titles
2009 4 titles
2010 5 titles
2011 4 titles

to get to 100 (if he remained as good as his 2010 form, which he wont obviously)

he would need to play for 7 more years

so no- he wont win 100 titles unless he goes after the glory and plays alot of 250 and 500 events untill he retires

i think realistically we are looking for an 80ish number for his title count- and as others have mentioned it really doesn't matter at the end of the day- he's never catching connors laver and lendl

Reactions: Jovak
#53 ·

he is already worth well over $300 mill. and some of his endorsement income is for life.

he is not playing for money anymore. he will have accumulated over a billion anyway when its all over. even if he stops playing today he reaches that mark in the next 20 years.

money makes money. lot of money makes a ton of money.

#54 ·

Also, it's assassin.

#55 · (Edited)
Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assassin

stay on the subject and it would be considered wise to try to restrain your mindless propensity to pick holes in people. it is always the right thing to do.

when did i ever say or claim that i can spell or that english was my first language? it is not even my 4th language. is it not obvious that my english is no good?

#66 ·

stay on the subject and it would be considered wise to try to restrain your mindless propensity to pick holes in people. it is always the right thing to do.

when did i ever say or claim that i can spell or that english was my first language? it is not even my 4th language. is it not obvious that my english is no good?
affermative old :sport:

a better title to this thread would be "The King of 100 Languages: Clay Death the Destroyer"

the floor is yours. do you think can he reach 100? I believe he can.

He only has around 29 languages left to learn to reach that goal and he can learn new ones even after he's 40 - as a matter of fact he can keep studying until he dies.

it has been proven time after time that nothing is impossible for the mighty Hercules of the Castle.

hapless, legless, worthless, spineless, useless sewer rats have no say in this thread.

we are keeping it positive here and these ejaculites are simply terrible in the field of linguistics

100 is there for the taking.

Vamos, I say. Vamos.

#60 ·

Anyway, lets take this claim from CD seriously while we are writting in his thread, lets make a roadmap to 100 titles:

29 more to go, what is required from Federer and development in tennis for this to be possible?

1-Longevity like the old days. Is it possible Federer can be another Rosewall or Connors? Or atleast a Laver or Agassi? Does he have it in him to be competitive far into his 30s? I say it is possible, he needs to play until 38 I think if he wants a chanse to get 100 titles.

2-End of super top 4 era, sometime soon Djokovic, Nadal and Murray needs to stop beeing in every SF and F in not only slams but every master series aswell, Nadal must be close to reaching that slippery slope and will fall rather fast outside clay. What if 2013 marks the end of the 6-year reign of top 4s and Nadal is out of the picture, Djokovic not in every final and so on? Federer can go back winning Indian Wells or Miami, probably always be favorite in Cincinatti. Maybe he can win 2 master series per year, add 3 smaller tournaments and atleast 1 slam/TMC and you got 6 tournaments per year.

3-play the smaller tournaments and take the seriously, positive signs when he plays Rotterdam again, how about if Federer goes on to play some small clay tournament like Estoril every year instead of the impossible Monte Carlo?
Dont skip Halle aswell, Federer should play 5 small tournaments every year and maybe skip 2 master series every year instead. He would need 3 every year atleast until 2015.

So, this is my roadmap to 100 in honor of CD:

2012-5 more titles: Halle and Basel are in the bag, Olympics on grass and lets say 2 of these: indoor master series/Cincinatti/Usopen/Wimbledon/TMC

2013 (Djokovic and Nadal take 2 steps down from their peak):3 small tournaments, 2 master series and 1 big one. 6 tournaments.

2014(End of Djokovic era, he is physically drain and Nadal limited to clay): 3 small tournaments, 1-2 master series and grand slam+TMC. 6 tournament wins.

2015-2-3 small tournaments 1 master series, 0-1 slam/TMC, 4 titles

Now that puts Federer at 92 when he is 34 years old, he can get to 100 by having some out of the ordinary long career, and go down his latest years 2016-2019 to 2-3 tournaments per year.

Well, one hell of a stretch of the imagination to see this happen. I give CD 1 in 40 odds to be right.

Reactions: hammett and Kat_YYZ
#72 · (Edited)

Anyway, lets take this claim from CD seriously while we are writting in his thread, lets make a roadmap to 100 titles:

29 more to go, what is required from Federer and development in tennis for this to be possible?

1-Longevity like the old days. Is it possible Federer can be another Rosewall or Connors? Or atleast a Laver or Agassi? Does he have it in him to be competitive far into his 30s? I say it is possible, he needs to play until 38 I think if he wants a chanse to get 100 titles.

2-End of super top 4 era, sometime soon Djokovic, Nadal and Murray needs to stop beeing in every SF and F in not only slams but every master series aswell, Nadal must be close to reaching that slippery slope and will fall rather fast outside clay. What if 2013 marks the end of the 6-year reign of top 4s and Nadal is out of the picture, Djokovic not in every final and so on? Federer can go back winning Indian Wells or Miami, probably always be favorite in Cincinatti. Maybe he can win 2 master series per year, add 3 smaller tournaments and atleast 1 slam/TMC and you got 6 tournaments per year.

3-play the smaller tournaments and take the seriously, positive signs when he plays Rotterdam again, how about if Federer goes on to play some small clay tournament like Estoril every year instead of the impossible Monte Carlo?
Dont skip Halle aswell, Federer should play 5 small tournaments every year and maybe skip 2 master series every year instead. He would need 3 every year atleast until 2015.

So, this is my roadmap to 100 in honor of CD:

2012-5 more titles: Halle and Basel are in the bag, Olympics on grass and lets say 2 of these: indoor master series/Cincinatti/Usopen/Wimbledon/TMC

2013 (Djokovic and Nadal take 2 steps down from their peak):3 small tournaments, 2 master series and 1 big one. 6 tournaments.

2014(End of Djokovic era, he is physically drain and Nadal limited to clay): 3 small tournaments, 1-2 master series and grand slam+TMC. 6 tournament wins.

2015-2-3 small tournaments 1 master series, 0-1 slam/TMC, 4 titles

Now that puts Federer at 92 when he is 34 years old, he can get to 100 by having some out of the ordinary long career, and go down his latest years 2016-2019 to 2-3 tournaments per year.

Well, one hell of a stretch of the imagination to see this happen. I give CD 1 in 40 odds to be right.

i never said he is going to most definitely do this. i only started the thread to explore that possibility.

that said, if anybody can do then he is one of those who could pull it off. he will have to play a long time obviously.

he plays the game so easily anyway. i believe he will at least play until he is 36-37. he may even surprise us all by playing until he is 40.

#65 ·

this is not 2005 anymore. no blake and roddick in slams;
then again, blake beat federer at the olympics (almost apologetic about his hero's "bad day").

#67 ·

Federer will win Newport every year until he is 60.

#68 ·

Federer will win Newport every year until he is 60.
excellent plan. except make that 70 and jimmy's record is broken for sure. and he'll fit right in with the newport crowd. allez!

#73 ·

folks nothing stands still except for nadal. now here is a blundering buffoon who has not bothered to improve in 2 years but that is a subject for another day.

fed is going to make some adjustments down the road. perhaps he will have a even bigger serve. he might play more doubles so as to become even more effective at the net than he already is. and of course he will use all his experience out there.

This post has been deleted
#74 ·

Even reaching McEnroe's 77 is far from guaranteed, though more likely than not at this stage. I can't see a 40-year-old, even one with Federer's talent, competing at the highest level in the modern game, with strings & surfaces as they are, & I can't see Federer continuing on the tour without being able to compete at the highest level, so somewhere in the mid-80s is optimistic but doable. 100 - no, he won't play long enough.

#78 ·

Even reaching McEnroe's 77 is far from guaranteed, though more likely than not at this stage. I can't see a 40-year-old, even one with Federer's talent, competing at the highest level in the modern game, with strings & surfaces as they are, & I can't see Federer continuing on the tour without being able to compete at the highest level, so somewhere in the mid-80s is optimistic but doable. 100 - no, he won't play long enough.
I too think 100 unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility, especially if he doesn't have to play to 40 to do it.
His overall capability to win titles depends on the level of competition against him compared to his own level.

IF the players at or above his level like Nadal and Djokovic were not to hold up for one reason or another, or decline faster than Federer, the equation changes. I think one would have to agree that the Nadal and Djokovic style of play and propensity for injury is not conducive to career longevity, especially relative to Federer.

So in a scenario where Mr. Nadal and/or Mr. Djokovic end their careers in the next 2-4 years for whatever reason or where their level drops precipitously, then Mr. Federer could outlast them and simply be the best for lack of quality competition at the top.

I think most would agree that the current crop of youngsters in the top 100 (age 19-23) are few and do not play anywhere near the level needed to challenge the top players. Of course, that may change. But if not, then I think Federer has a chance to approach 100 as long as he has the desire to keep playing. He has a family, so it will be also a family decision.

With current competition, let's generously give him 5 titles per year in the next 2 years. That's 10.
Let's say a combination of injuries and/or achievements see Mr. Nadal retire after those 2 years. That leaves Mr. Djokovic (assuming Murray can't raise his level). Due to Nadal's retirement we might up Federer to 6 titles per year for 2 years, that's now a total of 22, which is a overall total of 92 at the age of 34. If Djokovic also retires... then 100 doesn't look so far away.

But this is all conjecture. It assumes that Federer remains healthy, his level doesn't drop much more, his desire to play remains the same and that the other top players leave the scene before he does, and no younger players are good enough to reach his level. That's a lot of assumption...;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: hammett
#75 ·

Hed have a fair chance, except I think the clay titles are now out of reach. Hes too old for the dirt now, Djokovic and Nadal will be realing those in.

If the grass and indoor season was longer, he may almost have been there by now.

Id give Nadal a greater chance of getting to 17 slams then Fed to 100 titles.

BUT, in saying that, I think Federer would trade 100 titles for 18 slams in a heartbeat.

#76 ·

Hed have a fair chance, except I think the clay titles are now out of reach. Hes too old for the dirt now, Djokovic and Nadal will be realing those in.

If the grass and indoor season was longer, he may almost have been there by now.

Id give Nadal a greater chance of getting to 17 slams then Fed to 100 titles.

BUT, in saying that, I think Federer would trade 100 titles for 18 slams in a heartbeat.
18 slams for Federer is more likely than 100 titles, obviously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.