Mens Tennis Forums banner

Grass season 2008

13K views 218 replies 16 participants last post by  Kezzi 
#1 ·
So the grass season.

Firstly Surbiton.

He gets the young Golubev at first round. This one one got some good results this year but on grass I know nothing about him ? Not a bad player.

Anyway at that time Arnaud can loose against everybody :devil:

Good luck, 225 points to defend

#41 ·
he could've entered either tournament directly, as there were a lot of withdrawals. (just checked). so on paper at least, the entry field is not that different at s-whatever (sorry).

but we all know it would've been harder at nottingham, because his old foe, tall ivo, will be there! :lol:

kezzi, you get lucky again ;) have fun! (no more exams?)

#45 ·
Why this question ? (si subite ? lol)
I don't think so.

Becker is good on grass, not easy...

#48 ·
Every match is tough for Arnaud. On every surfaces... :awww:
But his worse adversary is..himself :rolleyes:

#50 ·
i'm not surprised he gets a tough opponent for a qualifier. if he had to enter qualies instead, he might not have qualified! lol

i can see two first round exits in a row :eek: good luck anyway. hope he runs into kezzi! :D

#53 ·
So extraordinary news this win :devil:

6-3 / 3-6 / 6-4

He made a quite good first set, the crucial moment was on his serve at 2-2, he saved 3 break balls. Arnaud broke at 4-3 on his only break ball of the first set. Then he held his serve to win the set.

He got a tough moment at the beginning of second set. Becker led 4-0 but Arnaud came back to 4-2 and 5-3 but it was not enought. He started too late this set.

In the third, Arnaud made the break at 5-4 on the only break ball (for both) of this set.

Becker is only 10 aces for 8 double faults and 51% 1st serve much easy for Arnaud who broke 3 times Becker.

#55 ·
His SECOND win like that this year :angel: I think he might have been inspired with his new ranking :devil:

Soulage, thanks for the details, looks like he's got a high percentage of converted break points - so I guess everything was alright with the mental part of his game this time.

Next round is against a typical claycourter Granollers.

#63 ·
#61 ·
Ohhh, he won 2 matchs in a row !!!
Good for the confidence...

#64 · (Edited)
I followed on scoreboard the first and the last set.

Arnaud began quite well with good first serve, he broke at 4-3 and was serving for the set at 5-3 but Granollers broke back. In the tie-break, he led 4-2 but lost it 6-8.

I didn't follow the second set but Arnaud saved 12 break balls on 13 :eek:. It's was 3 breaks to 1.

On the last set he broke at 2-1 to win this match after saving break balls in this set.

Granollers must be angry against him, he got 18 break balls in the match and converted only 2 :eek:

Tomorrow will be an other story :devil: Del Potro is really a good server, plays quite good this week and with Canas they crushed Arnaud and Florent in doubles : 6-0 / 6-2 :eek: :lol:

But anyway 2 victory in a row :D

#67 ·
In double, Florent and Arnaud don't play together usually, and then Florent wanted to set out again quickly in London for the next tournament, he seemed very not concentrated!:rolleyes:... and Arnaud prefers certainly to concentrate on the simple one,:) he must revive to arrive into 1/4 of finale of a tournament ATP,.... even if hardest is to be come:p, all that can give again confidence to him!

yesterday in the local press, a journalist said that Arnaud started to find truths feelings off pleasure in his play!

and He also said that in moments difficult morally, a sportsman needs to be well in his personal life and to surround by his close relations to hold morally and he said that Arnaud must certainly have all:) that to continue to play and to want after his bad season!

#68 ·
Arnaud lost! :sad:

he had started very extremely, 1st set gained 6/3:) and then he doesn't have succeeds in holding the same rhythm and lost 3/6 1/6. :sad:

The positive point in this tournament it's he showed more confidence in his play, and a better quality of play compared to these last weeks!

#69 ·
Yes, Arnaud well began or Del Potro wasn't yet in the match : make your choice :)

Arnaud was 4-0 and served for 5-0 but Del Potro has broken him but after this coming back to 4-2 Del Potro lost again his serve at the end of the set. Only 2 aces for 2 doubles faults in this first set for the young Del Potro.

As very often this season :rolleyes:, Arnaud was broken on the first game of the second set but came back to 3-3. The following game on Arnaud's serve was the crucial moment of the set and maybe of the match ? At least 6 deuce : 3 games balles for Arnaud and many break balls and finally Del Potro broke. The set ended on two love games.

In the third set, Arnaud lost his first serving game so Del Potro led fastly 3-0. Then the games were more close and specially the last won : Arnaud saved 5 match points and got 5 break points but lost the game and the match but he didn't abdicated at 5-1 :)

I think he plays better now but he's always not safe on his serve but some things positives to take in this tournament I believe :)

Next week he'll be around 145# : worst ranking since 97

I suppose that the decision for Olympic Games ( Monday ?) and his ranking after Wimbledon will decide his schedule for the 2nd part of the season.

Wait for the draw of Wimbledon : Does he will win a match in a GS this year ? :devil:

#70 ·
Wait for the draw of Wimbledon : Does he will win a match in a GS this year ? :devil:
I don't know whom he should get to win a match at Wimbledon :eek:

Well, thanks to Arnaud JMDP is in semis of a grass tournament, what a joke. As far as I remember last June it was the first time in his entire life this guy played tennis on grass! Oh well... at least I do hope that their loss in doubles was on purpose.

#71 ·
Del Potro is not so bad on grass, he learns well even it's not "his" surface

But there is three clay-players in semis : Ferrer - Del Potro - Canas and Gicquel. Very strange for a grass tournament :confused:

For Wimbledon Arnaud and Micka are seed 7# and it's still in 5 sets :eek:

For the singles draw , it's always the same : get a seed player to play on a big court and having nothing to loose or get a big big loser on grass :angel:

#72 ·
3 matches in a row would bave been unpossibe :confused:
pffffff, it's not normal to be satisfied when he wins 2 matches... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.