Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will he return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar

153K views 1K replies 248 participants last post by  Action Jackson 
#1 ·
Toni just gave an interview on Spanish radio. Said:

- Rafa's career is not in any danger. They are just being cautious.
- Rafa would like to play in Rio 2016 and hopes to compete there (again I suppose emphasising this is not some career ending injury). They all want to extend his career as much as possible and to do that they are taking the conservative approach -- "no more patches". (By this I think he is referring to earlier remarks he made about how this year they've just tried to manage injury in a piece meal way by taking time off in Miami etc. but that is not correct. He needs to wait till he is 100%.)
- It is not the same tendinitis as before, but is related to the same issue.
- Toni's been hearing that Nadal's career will be short all his life - but even if he retired now it would not have been a short career as he's played for a decade as a professional - since he was 16.

They also had some doctor on who said Nadal's tendon had degenerated and needed 3 months of rest. Given that he had most of June off, July and now August, maybe a DC return in September is not too far fetched...

Basically, as always, I think the "his career is over" brigade are going a bit far. If anything this sounds like he's learned from past mistakes and is following exactly what the doctors tell him to try and get the most from what remains of his career. Beating any of the other 3 - Andy, Roger, Nole - would have been tough at the US Open - let alone when not at full match fitness and without competitive play. If he was still suffering a bit, then better to be cautious - at this stage he needs to basically try and maximise slam chances.

As a reminder - think of the Nadal we saw at WTF 2011 - listless, passionless, bagelled by Federer. Next major tournament a few months later - few games away from winning the Australian Open. His body will always be an issue but the fire and motivation to me has been a bigger concern - at least that seems to still be there and perhaps be even stronger due to setbacks. Sounds like Rio 2016 might just be the think that keeps him going even if it seems farfetched right now that he'd be competitive in 4 years time. :lol:

See less See more
#1,115 ·
Surely playing through pain in his current condition is foolish? Even if the doc sees no problem, surely pain is an indicator to stop?

#1,118 ·
Indeed that part has me worried too. A couple months ago on ESPN they said Blake had the same injury and opted for rest over an operation and it never worked out for him. That got me worried a lot but was hoping for the best but man as a fan this hurts so much not knowing how it's going to unfold, the uncertainty, the possibility of him retiring because of this and constantly checking how it goes is hard to take. And then there are douchebags in here who take joy from an injured player. Best wishes to Rafa.

Reactions: Punky
#1,125 ·
i hope things will work out for him its time bc his fans miss him, i think tennis miss him

#1,130 ·
Lemon Water,Rafa himself has said that his knee is painful still.No info about withdrawal,but it's expected especally now that we're all paranoid.

#1,132 ·
Rafa I wish all the best. Recover soon great champion

#1,133 ·
I guess everything will be clear on Thursday. He is supossed to fly this day to Chile. If he confirms flying to Chile, then I think he will play. I just don't think he would fly so far just to withdraw again... So fingers crossed he is on board on Thursday! I wouldn't survive another withdrawal from Rafa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.