Mens Tennis Forums banner

Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates (Their rivalry)

80K views 1K replies 232 participants last post by  Fedman 
#1 ·
Just something I thought about :p

let's think about it this way:

Fed's Australian Open = Djoko's Wimbledon.
Fed's Roland Garros = Djoko's Roland Garros.
Fed's Wimbledon = Djoko's Australian Open.
Fed's US Open = Djoko's US Open.

2003 & 2008 - First GS for each player
Both players won their first GS, and in their 'best' tournament of the four.

2004 & 2011 - First year of absolute Dominance
Both won 3 Slams in those year, and were more dominant than any other player on the tour. Also, the only Slam they didn't win was their worst Slam - RG. I know Fed's done it in 2004 which is of course right the next year after 2003, and Novak had a two year break, but oh well...

2005 & 2012 - A little less successful than the previous year
Only two Slams for Roger: His best one, and his second best. Novak has already won his best slam this year, so he now needs to win the USO :p

-------------

I'm kidding of course, but this is just interesting :)

See less See more
#399 ·
Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates - Year End Number 1

Regardless of our favourite player(s), I'll say it once more - this really is a pant-wetting, mouth-watering end to the the season. For me, it's been the most enjoyable tennis season in quite some time: we have a very close race for YE n.1, majors split between the three best players in the world, two players trading the number one ranking mid-season, Nadal beating Fed in AO semi and losing a heart-breaking final to Djokovic, Djokovic beating Fed in RG semi and seemingly having the upper hand in their rivalry, Nadal exacting revenge on Nole in RG final, denying him all four majors, a stunning upset in 2nd round Wimbledon, Fed beating Djokovic in Wimbledon semi and exacting revenge, a player many thought past it winning a glorious Wimbledon final, Murray's tears as he realises his dream of a slam may never be realised, Murray's ecstatic climb into the crowd after Olympic Gold reaffirms his standing as a potential slam winner. And now US Open to come.

If Djokovic wins it, as I suspect he will (Super Saturday too much for Federer?!?) unless Nadal is fit and on form, then he's our YE number one.

FXXk me, tennis is brilliant.

#401 ·

Regardless of our favourite player(s), I'll say it once more - this really is a pant-wetting, mouth-watering end to the the season. For me, it's been the most enjoyable tennis season in quite some time: we have a very close race for YE n.1, majors split between the three best players in the world, two players trading the number one ranking mid-season, Nadal beating Fed in AO semi and losing a heart-breaking final to Djokovic, Djokovic beating Fed in RG semi and seemingly having the upper hand in their rivalry, Nadal exacting revenge on Nole in RG final, denying him all four majors, a stunning upset in 2nd round Wimbledon, Fed beating Djokovic in Wimbledon semi and exacting revenge, a player many thought past it winning a glorious Wimbledon final, Murray's tears as he realises his dream of a slam may never be realised, Murray's ecstatic climb into the crowd after Olympic Gold reaffirms his standing as a potential slam winner. And now US Open to come.

If Djokovic wins it, as I suspect he will (Super Saturday too much for Federer?!?) unless Nadal is fit and on form, then he's our YE number one.

FXXk me, tennis is brilliant.
This.

#406 ·

Nole said he would swap all his 5 slams for Muzza's Olympics gold singles Championship

nuff said.

#407 ·

Djokovic is not having a bad year but is playing quite a bit.
Fed is the only one proven to play strong through the whole year.

Fed will probably finish strong so it depends on Djokovic and the next few weeks will play a part in it too.

#409 ·

Djokovic is not having a bad year but is playing quite a bit.Fed is the only one proven to play strong through the whole year.

Fed will probably finish strong so it depends on Djokovic and the next few weeks will play a part in it too.
Yes, playing as he does now should be a concern to his fans. Unless he tanks Cincinnatti he will probably be running on empty after US Open, just like last year. Of course, this could happen anyway.

#418 ·

I really don't know how matto1 gets away with so much blatant trolling .

#420 ·

How about you guys (=Fed fans)get back on topic before I report you? I have given my arguments in this thread and even if you don't agree with them, there's no need to tell me I'm trolling. :rolleyes:

#423 ·

How about you guys (=Fed fans)get back on topic before I report you? I have given my arguments in this thread and even if you don't agree with them, there's no need to tell me I'm trolling. :rolleyes:
So then tennis has become of personal taste . Ok then I don't consider clay a legitimate surface and is the least prestigious slam. Hey facts and general opinion has little bearing on my personal taste.

#424 ·

So then tennis has become of personal taste . Ok then I don't consider clay a legitimate surface and is the least prestigious slam. Hey facts and general opinion has little bearing on my personal taste.

I did not say anything about "personal taste" and I tried to give arguments for my opinion, you didn't, so I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me with this post.

#425 ·

I did not say anything about "personal taste" and I tried to give arguments for my opinion, you didn't, so I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me with this post.
It's pretty straightforward what he's telling you with this post. It's not subtle.

#430 ·

Federer had to go play Rotterdam to sneak in a cheap 500 and 21 tournaments vs 19 for Novak. Despite this Federer has less than a 100 points lead right now.

Don't care who is number 1 at the end of the year, I just want Novak to win the US open.

#432 ·

Federer had to go play Rotterdam to sneak in a cheap 500 and 21 tournaments vs 19 for Novak. Despite this Federer has less than a 100 points lead right now.

Don't care who is number 1 at the end of the year, I just want Novak to win the US open.
Djokovic also tried to win Dubia but he couldn't.
and since we are talking about the points and tourneys, Djoko played two masters more so far.
besides, the season hasn't finished yet, till then you we can't talk about the number of tourneys played.

#433 ·

The USO will have a lot to do with the YE #1.

I have to go with Fed here of course, last year Fed wasn't playing near as well while Djokovic was playing better.
It was so close then so the conclusion is logical.

Fed will pick up quite a few points positioning him well for YE #1.

But the matches have to be played, even Rosol will tell you the same thing.

:wavey:

#437 ·
Federer looks at Novak as the real no. 1 and best HC player atm...

At least this is what he let everyone think after watching 2 of his interviews after yesterday victory against Stan. He mentioned things like: "[...] hopefully it will not be just an easy victory for Novak" or "[...] that's why he managed to stay at no.1 for so long now...".

Does it mean something in regard to today's final? It's a good psychological approach for Fed or not?

The "...I hope it's not gonna be just an easy match for him..." video (1:40):

The "[...]that's why he's been the world no.1 for so long now..." video (4:53):

#439 ·
Re: Federer looks at Novak as the real no. 1 and best HC player atm...

Well Roger has lost the last four meetings on HC against Novak, and Novak is after all defending champ at USO/AO, so to say otherwise would be dumb by Roger as Novak clearly a bit better on HCs at the moment. As far as some psychological advantage, don't think this really means much. Federer is still always going to come into these matches thinking he is better due to his overall success and certainly current confidence.

#440 ·

off-topic:

what is with this inflation of Safin avatars? Is it a contest and I missed it? Is it anything else? I keep on noticing new ones from thread to thread and I just don't get it...did I miss something?

#443 ·
#446 ·

MTF putting Feds comments under more scrutiny than Romney's tax returns. NID. :lol:

PS: Fed just stated the facts, Nole has had a far superior hard court record than anybody in recent memory going all the way back to USO'10.

#448 ·

Roflmao.. i just wonder how ppl get fooled by these tactical interviews given by federer :devil:

He just indirectly praises his opponent... at the same time.. making his line clear for the final.. that relieves off all his stress that he has to overcome later ;)

Hope Novak doesnt take these words seriously and get on cloud 9.. afterall he knows.. hez no where close to 9 HC Grand slam titles to be called the Best hard court player ever :angel: :p

#449 ·

Roflmao.. i just wonder how ppl get fooled by these tactical interviews given by federer :devil:

He just indirectly praises his opponent... at the same time.. making his line clear for the final.. that relieves off all his stress that he has to overcome later ;)

Hope Novak doesnt take these words seriously and get on cloud 9.. afterall he knows.. hez no where close to 9 HC Grand slam titles to be called the Best hard court player ever :angel: :p
:scratch:

#450 ·

so..when Federer said he looks at Novak as the real no. 1 :confused:? He just said that Novak is the best player HC at the moment and that he was able to be No. 1 for a long time(1 year)..just some facts considering last results. :rolleyes:

#451 ·

so..when Federer said he looks at Novak as the real no. 1 :confused:? He just said that Novak is the best player HC at the moment and that he was able to be No. 1 for a long time(1 year)..just some facts considering last results. :rolleyes:
maybe I misinterpreted it, but the quote is exact: "[...]that's why he's been the world no.1 for so long now...". Maybe subconsciously Roger sees Novak as a better player atm...

#452 ·

Yeah I'm pretty sure Federer considers himself as an inferior player to anybody. :haha:
He's simply being polite and stop looking for any overtones in this interview.

#453 ·

Yeah I'm pretty sure Federer considers himself as an inferior player to anybody. :haha:
He's simply being polite and stop looking for any overtones in this interview.
True.

~It was a nice interviwew with Fed quite entertaining, but yeah i didnt get what the OP got from that. Fed judt stated the truth tht Novak is no 1 on HC, if he said anything he would have looked delusional.

#454 ·
Fed took a page from Nadal's mind tricks book.

"I won this tournament four times but Nole is the favourite tomorrow, no?"

"he's number one on hard courts, no? I go out and try my best, no?"

Fed is missing Rafa on tour so he's giving interviews Nadal-style. ;)

#455 ·

I believe Fed hasn`t that feeling (that Nole is better play on HC even now). Yes, results speak otherwise, but to my mind Roger never admited to himself that anyone can be really better than him on any surface (with the exception of Rafa on clay). See him walking like a boss today too, body language shows it. Very little, but not unimportant reason of his success - he believes he can crash anyone if he plays his tennis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.