Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO 2012 - Limping Closer to Retirement

9K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  Fumus 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 2012 Australian Open Cheering Thread

At least it was a close match with someone who had a really great start to the season. Considering it was his first match in who knows how long, it could easily have been worse....

#4 ·

Yeah, I agree Deb. To ask Andy to beat someone who has always given him problems and had such a great start to the season was I think asking too much. Andy isn't at his peak anymore and it was still close. I'm not ready to get doomy and gloomy yet. Also, he's going to lose far more than he'll win this year, let's be real. It doesn't mean he can't produce a good result here and there.

#6 ·

Agree that his serve is crucial and that hes broken more now than before. Lots of factors for that: slower surfaces every yr, better returners, better racquets, andys serve slowing down, Andy relying more on a passive ground game and on and on. I didn't see the match but it was two tiebreaks so I assumed he didn't lose serve much. How many times was he broken?

#8 ·

Well Monfils is a bad matchup for him. Once per set in first match after a long break isn't that bad. Let's see how he does against berdych

#10 ·

OK, after one (long) serve game against Berdych it's clear his gameplan for this season is going to be the same as years' past :zzz:

#12 ·

Hello again :wavey: Haven't been posting for a while. Happy New Year to everyone!

Watched yesterday the whole match vs Monfils (rather decent match, only those tiebreaks, uh...), and unfortunately didn't wake up for today's match vs Berdych and saw it only from 4:2 in the final set. Well, although I am happy that Andy won as he clearly needed a win, even if it is in a (rather competitive) exhibition match, I wouldn't read too much into this. From what I saw in those last couple games, Andy tried and wanted this match a lot more than Berdych did, who made few serve&volley attempts and some other shots, which he normally wouldn't do at a crucial stage of a match. But a win is a win, and that was very important that he didn't go 0-2 after first two matches :)

#13 ·

Anything to build his confidence is good at this point. Even if it's false or exaggerated. He'll have three matches against some real good players in good form so hopefully he will be ready. And I think the fact that he was getting frustrated and seemed to want to win even in an exho is only a good thing - it means he really wants it still.

#14 ·

I agree, and it was good to see that he still wants it and cares. In his post-match on-court interview he told that he still enjoys competing and will play as long as he feels he can win a tennis tournament. So... I still hope to see him around next year as well.. :)

#15 ·

Andy's AO Draw:haha: I dont even :haha: Have fun Andy:haha:

#17 ·

Definitely a bad draw. Lets hope he somehow gets to 4th round, to at least defend his points from last year and don't drop in the rankings more.
I dub this year's tournament Andy Pilgrim versus the world.

In related news, I think Andy had his worse Kooyong ever. Maybe he didn't go that hard against Kei? It's just that usually he takes this exhibition very seriously, it would be really said if he played hard and everyone else sort of played half power and still he lost two matches. :(

#24 ·
#21 ·
Re: AO 2012 - Andy Pilgrim vs the World.

Anyone watching?

I cannot figure out, whether Haase has some kind of injury that bothers him, or Andy has broken his spirit in this match? :scratch: Either way, Haase has been playing terrible today, missing shots left and right, even missing an easy ball with a racket once :lol:

#25 ·

Don't know why people are thinking the Hewitt match will be a tough one...the guy can barely win a match at the GSs now. Hopefully it is tough and Andy has to play a bit more aggressive to win.

#26 ·

Hewitt is a great player and fighter. He may not be what once was, but so do Andy. Hewitt is one of the toughest guys to play against, especially in Slams. He has always given Andy trouble. The last thing I expect is easy match against Lleyton. With the crowd at his side, he can produce, especially in big matches like the one against Andy.

#27 ·

yeah, despite hewitt's recent troubles, i wouldn't count him completely out when competing against andy. do i hope it's not too bad for andy and he'd get it done quickly? of course. but i won't be too surprised if hewitt somehow takes it to andy a bit.

and aside from the singles, can't wait for the mixed draw. so even if andy (hopefully!) makes it to the fourth and bombs out, he could potentially still have mixed with serena.

#29 · (Edited)

now, just waiting on the draw... whee.

AustralianOpen Beside ourselves at AO Twitter HQ - @AndyRoddick & @SerenaWilliams have signed in to play mixed doubles together. #letthegamesbegin #AusOpen

eta: i'm dying at the draw. :lol: first round they get mike and kveta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.