Mens Tennis Forums banner

This blog entry deserves a thread on its own.

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  SUKTUEN 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
:worship:

Y'know I was almost about to post this myself, earlier on. It absolutely deserves its own thread. It provides an answer to every ridiculous accusation and insult that has been hurled Roger's way since the Wimbledon final. An absolute must read for any Fed fan who has felt hurt or outraged, or who has not been able to enjoy this amazing win as they should, due to the extreme levels of Fed-bashing apparent in almost all corners of the tennis world.

What should have been a beautiful, historic day just ended up as another reason to tear him to shreds. And, given the champion he is, given what he has done for the sport, and how much he loves it, it's really not okay that he's being called an arrogant, presumptuous twat, that the media are all but painting horns on his head, that his own supposed "fans" are saying that they now hate him because of his speech. When it comes down to it, he - after it was handed to him on court - put on a piece of clothing he was contractually obliged to, and shortly afterwards - when he was clearly overwhelmed himself - did his very best to comfort and empathize with his opponent, because losing several heartbreaking slam finals to the same guy really is something he can understand, actually. If people chose to react negatively to that, it's their problem, not Roger's.

#4 ·
:wavey: THANK YOU for posting this :D

The amount of trash talk surrounding this whole jacket 'affair' has been obscene. And how could his speech be considered ungracious? Recalling the AO, though, it seems he's just as ungracious when on the losing end :lol:
It's just sad. :shrug:
Roger has never come across to me as being disingenuous. It's only because he has been successful that people react with 'how dare he think he knows how it feels to have a close loss?' :eek: Which is truly odd reasoning and forgetting, moreover, the recent path of his career and the fightback to get to where he is. Which is, as the blog entry brought up, the real story of Fed's win.

Reactions: Celaeno
#9 ·
:inlove: with the writer, he pretty much managed to sum up everything I've been thinking recently but am too inarticulate to actually say in the right way.

Great post :yeah:
she ;)

and I totally agree, I'm so happy she took the time and effort to put down all of her thoughts, and in doing so provide such a strong, eloquent voice for all of us fans who were perhaps feeling it hard to speak up for him :)

#10 ·
Can someone explain to me why Roddick didn't get flack for not stopping to talk with John McEnroe after the match? Roger did last year (video is in my sig). Not for long, but he did stop. Now I have no problem with Roddick doing as little media as possible. In fact I would've had no problem if he started bawling on court like Roger did at AO. I just don't like the double standard. Had Roddick won last Sunday and Roger snubbed McEnroe you know damn good and well he'd have been raked over the coals for it. :rolleyes:

What I love about this piece is the author reminds us that Nadal said almost the exact same thing to Roger last year. Did anyone complain about that? Of course not.

I'm sick of this populist PC drivel coming from the media. They paint an image of Roger that never existed in order to claim he's a different person now - that success, Nike and Anna Wintour have changed him. The opening paragraph in Wertheim's SI piece on Wimbledon is not about the match but about Roger's wife and the influence she's had on him. So because of Mirka Roger went from boy --> man; cut his hair and started shaving. Ooh that's really change for the worse. :rolleyes:

Thankfully the majority of tennis/sports fans don't subscribe to the crap Wertheim and Bozo have been spewing. :)

#11 ·
I am absolutely staggered that so much has been made of "that" jacket ... I don't read much of the crap that the media write and having just seen some of the last comments here, am pretty glad I don't! Perhaps Roger's comment about knowing how it feels to lose a hard fought final wouldn't have been made so much of if A-Rod hadn't said what he did. I assume no one has said that A-Rod sounded bitter?

And assume no one remarked last year how "over the top" Nadal's celebrations were .. they made me reach for the sick bag to be honest and I'm proud that Roger cares enough about the feelings for his opponents that he has said he would never do anything similar.

How sad that the American media are sick in their hats that "their man" no longer holds the slam record .. but as a Brit it makes me laugh my head off (with apologies to those Americans here who know better!).

#12 ·
Fantastic blog entry indeed, thanks for posting the link.

It's pretty incredible how much sour graping there is from a certain contigent of 'tennis fans', as that's what I think it is. They will literally pull out anything from the basket to bash Roger.
Very easy, if you don't even bother to get your facts right before doing the bashing.

Fortunately, it. does. not. matter.
All that matters is = # 15 ;)

Suck on it, Haters. :rocker2:

#14 ·
Roddick had one of the hardest draws in the history of Tennis. His lowest ranked player was 41. He has to be gutted. The tennis gods have not been kind to him at Wimbly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.