Mens Tennis Forums banner

Philipp Petzschner

189K views 2K replies 96 participants last post by  Ertl93 
#1 ·
I saw this guy playing on Ordina Open 2nd Round vs Raemon Sluiter on Eurosport. He was crushed, but he was so damn cool I got a fan of him!

He has an awesome serve, amongst the best I've seen. But no other hit can be close to match it...

I noticed his rank isn't that impressive but he can get better!

Let's go Philipp!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
oi td bem???eu vi varias vezes o petzschner jogar e é realmente cm tu dizes...fantástico ténis e ele tb é um maluco q nos prende ao court!!! Vi-o em Faro num Future q ele foi á final com o Guillermo-Garcia lopez e perdeu:(!!! e ganhou o torneio d pares...)com um tal d christopher Kas!!

#7 ·
Some pics from his 1st round qualifying match against Luczak in Munich:

Just a pity that he went down THAT clearly to Luczak despite having so huge weapons, especially serves that were clocked about 210 km/h. Also takes high risk on 2nd serves, had lots of double faults. His 1st serve percentage wasn't high enough and the rest of his play just not good enough against Luczak who was able to outrally him in longer points too often too easily.

But a likable player, good that I finally saw him playing! :yeah:

Reactions: JMG
#8 ·
Thanks! Did he play serve and volley and backhand slice again? His backhand was just so ineffective on clay :( I'm still looking for a likable opponent in Hamburg, but I don't find one. But because always many many players choose challengers instead of Wimbledon qualifying, I hope his rank will be good enough to get in there. He can make the big points in Halle and Wimbledon!

#9 · (Edited)
where is he now?????no futures and no challengers???come on petzschner!!!!

in his biography he have a 2 hands backhand but when i see him in portugal (final against garcia-lopez) e did 1 hand backhand sometimes and sometimes 2 hands?!?!?! :confused: he´s crazy men!!!

but in clay he will go to the top 500 instead of climb up!!! when the season of grass and hard court begins he will climb up again!!! it´s always the same!!

You´re right JMG!!! if his backhand could be like his forehand he would be a very very very good player in all surfaces!!!

P.S- sorry my poor english :worship:

#20 ·
fedsfan1 said:
Hi all..... :wavey:

I watched a little of his match today vs Greg & i have to say that I am intrigued by him.....looks a little like a Swiss player i know.. ;) ....Can you supply a little more info on him????? Thanks

cheers :cool:

Can't say much about him, only that he is cool. His biggest success on ATP level was already in 2003 when he reached the Quarterfinal in Metz. He also won the Junior French Open in doubles in 2002 and I think he is talented enough to become a Daviscup player in doubles. :D

#22 ·
JMG said:
Can't say much about him, only that he is cool. His biggest success on ATP level was already in 2003 when he reached the Quarterfinal in Metz. He also won the Junior French Open in doubles in 2002 and I think he is talented enough to become a Daviscup player in doubles. :D

Thanks for your reply, JMG!!! I certainly will be keeping my eye on him..... ;)

cheers mate!! :cool:

#23 ·
Yikes, I didn't know my thread would get like this! :) I'm glad more people like Philipp!!

He put a great fight against Rusedski, I'm happy for that despite not having won :D

KarstenBraasch#1 got a point there anyway... if Philipp doesn't feel like practicing hard soon, his talent will be wasted...

We will see... I just hope he gets enough points to enter Wimby's qualy draw. He can qualify, he's awesome on grass.

#24 ·
I talked with a friend oh phillip and he told me that he don´t like to practice!!!

we all know that he has a huge talent but he needs more profissionalism to climb up!!!

I´m confident about his grass season, he´s good!!!

Let´s wait and see!!

Let´s go Mr. Phillip!!!

#25 ·
I also read that he has a new coach since the end of 2004. Maybe he could change his attitude. I remember when he lost to Rafael Nadal in Stuttgart 2003, he also said that he is a bit lazy.

And I just noticed he won a set on grass against Grosjean two years ago. So his win over Alex Popp last year on grass wasn't only luck.

#26 ·
His interview from the Hamburg website:

Q: What is your impression here at the Rothenbaum? You are the German Champion.

PETZSCHNER: It’s an honour for me to play here with all the great players. I had a good draw and I could have won, or maybe should have won. It wasn’t supposed to be. But I’m glad that I could play here.

Q: The atmosphere here is always a difficult topic, especially on Kid’s Day. Florian Mayer said that it really disturbed him.

A: Yes, it surely is loud. But I wasn’t able to sit still for two hours as a child as well when I was watching tennis. Players have to cope with these things. I heard it as well from the centre court, but it didn’t bother me, I think these things are good.

Q: You said it was an honour for you to play here. Do you take it like that or are you a bit frustrated that you lost?

A: Of course I’m a bit frustrated about the defeat. But that’s the way it went. I’m not completely happy with it. So to speak I earned it to be here, because I won the German Championship. But it was still great to play here.

Q: What is your goal this year?

A: I was injured a lot in the past two years. So I planned to stay without injuries this year. That worked well for 1 ½ months. This is my second tournament after my injury. So I didn’t quite reach my goal. I don’t have a special goal concerning the ranking. I just want to play well and work on myself.

Q: This is one of the most important tournaments in Germany. The problem here is that German players don’t seem able to show the necessary performance here. Do you think this is because of the pressure of wanting to show off to the audience?

A: Yes, the pressure is there because you are playing at home, so a lot of people are coming especially to see you. Clay is not really the best surface for the German players. There are better clay court players. The tournament is one of the most important ones worldwide, and the top players are here. But it’s not exactly the favourite surface of Tommy or Kiwi.

Q: But the players do want to show their best here, don’t they?

A: I never heard of anybody who gave the match away. We all give our best, and we want to show that we give everything. The intention to win is definitely there for all German players.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.