Mens Tennis Forums banner

History says Rafa will lose QF of Monte Carlo

3K views 45 replies 38 participants last post by  Corey Feldman 
#1 ·
Since Borg and Nadal's careers are so similar, both winning RG and Wimbledon in 1978/2008, and 1980/2010, and won RG in 1981/2011, but lost the finals of Wimbledon and USO in 1981/2011 to McEnroe/Djokovic.

Also in 1982, Borg lost QF of Monte Carlo (after having to play qualies!).

Will Rafa advance past QF of Monte Carlo this year?

#10 ·
There's a lot of similarities but Borg's 82 status was different than Nadal's '12. Two main things:
- in 1982 Borg was playing his first tournament of the year (and the last one) which signified his lack of fighting spirit
- Noah who beat Borg in MC's quarterfinals was a player of a bigger caliber than Nadal's supposed quarterfinal opponent Almagro

#11 · (Edited)
Since Borg and Nadal's careers are so similar, both winning RG and Wimbledon in 1978/2008, and 1980/2010, and won RG in 1981/2011, but lost the finals of Wimbledon and USO in 1981/2011 to McEnroe/Djokovic.

Good for the game. Someone winning the same tournament for so many years in a row is weird.

But if Djokovic is McEnroe, didn't McEnroe go slamless in 1982? :lol:

Djokovic already won the AO this year unlike McEnroe who went slamless in 1982.

Then again, Federer would be the Connors of this story and would win Wimbledon/USO this year like Jimmy in 1982.:D

#12 ·

How many top players would lose QF/SF if they had to play qualies? I bet many of them would. Now they got 1st round bye instead.

Borg played in a different era.
He even had to play 1-2nd rounds on side-courts as reigning champ in Wimbledon 1977 :) Imagine if that happened today. They didn't look after top players and gift them passage to the later rounds. Seeding was a bit different to. I'm pretty sure they only seeded 16 player in his days. It's not right to compare his career to Nadals even if they look similar on paper.

#16 ·
bullshit.....borg never won half the no. of montecarlo titles nadal won......action jackson evidently has no problem with this negative nadal thread i see......

#18 ·
I think Almagro has a shot given Nadal's current form coming into the event, and that he is a player not worth overlooking (much like Bellucci on clay who just upset Ferrer).

But has nothing to do with Borg or "history."

#22 ·
Borg with Nadal? Nadal never glided to 5 titles on the sweet greens of Wimbledon my friend. But never the less I hope not, I want to see Djokovic beat Nadal again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.