Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roddick Fires Roddick, Hires McEnroe

7K views 79 replies 20 participants last post by  Deboogle!. 
#1 ·
I am stunned but John McEnroe just said live on TV that Andy has hired Patrick as his new coach and he is no LONGER working with John Roddick. John Roddick's posts seems to have been removed from Andy's site. Wow!

#4 ·
That's not accurate. All they said was that John is not working with Andy in New York. Maybe my hearing failed me but I do not think they said that Andy had fired John. All previous reports (which started flying around a few days ago) are that this thing with Pmac is purely a trial run right now for the USO. Pmac is way too busy (and his wife is expecting twins on top of all his professional duties) to be his full-time coach.

#5 ·
Go to Andy Roddick's site. John seems to have vanished there.

#7 ·
his site's all messed up - the last update they have from Doug Spreen is from like Queens, even though before the layout changed he had just written in the other day from NY. John's his brother, even if he's not officially coaching andy anymore (like when Andy worked with Dean Golfine and Connors), John is still there, John has always been there and will always be there, even if he is not his "coach" as listed on the ATP site or sitting in his box. Barring some huge change in his life, there is no way Pmac could travel with him very much at all, even as much as Jimmy did (and even then, John was always there). PMac does too many things and has already cut back on his TV duties. There's just no way it's permanent. Don't get me wrong, John was obviously not really helping him and Pmac knows him and his game as well as anyone so maybe it's a good idea, I just don't think this is the case and it's NOT what they said on TV and it's NOT what Pmac himself said the other day on CBS during the New Haven women's final.

#8 ·
Note to cyrusking: trust anything Deb says about Andy because she's right. Seriously, she knows her shiz. :yeah:

#9 ·
It's got nothing to do about what I know, I just listened to what PMac said the other day and these guys said tonight, and it's clear that they never said Andy fired John or that he hired Pmac for anything beyond this tournament :lol: Maybe I misheard, if someone actually said he fired John, say so, but it's not what I thought I heard :lol:

#15 ·
I don't think the word "fired" was mentioned but it was said that they were no longer working together. That surprised me because I thought this was just a temporary thing at the USO. It sounded to me that neither Ted or Mac really knew what was going on. But they did seem to think that the coaching relationship between Andy and John was done and that PMac might take over. (It always surprises me how Mac doesn't seem to really know what his brother is doing, but still comments on it)

#13 ·
Well. the other dude next to Johnny Mac said it clearly as far as I am concerned

#14 ·
Yeah, he did. Ted Robinson said that John wasn't coaching him anymore, but he didn't really sound sure and even John Mc said that didn't sound right to him because PMac already had too many things going on. I suspect now that its out there, the Roddick camp will issue a statement to clarify exactly what is going on.

JMac never does any research before he goes on the air (which he should be embarrassed about, but that's a different thread), and Ted Robinson repeats rumors far too often. Take it with a grain of salt until someone with real knowledge says something more definitive.

Cyrus, you hate Roddick, why do you care enough who is coaching him to start a thread about it?

#16 ·
Take it with a grain of salt until someone with real knowledge says something more definitive.
PMac said very very clearly the other day that they are "seeing how it goes" - even if he's not working with John anymore, the arrangement with PMac is definitely NOT permanent, enough different people have said that so it can be pretty well assumed to be true at this point.

Ted Robinson was also commentating platform diving about 2 days ago. :lol:
I don't think the word "fired" was mentioned but it was said that they were no longer working together. That surprised me because I thought this was just a temporary thing at the USO. It sounded to me that neither Ted or Mac really knew what was going on. But they did seem to think that the coaching relationship between Andy and John was done and that PMac might take over. (It always surprises me how Mac doesn't seem to really know what his brother is doing, but still comments on it)
OK, thank you. I guess it's just my nature to not read into things so when things sound unclear to me, I assume the status quo applies. And it definitely did not sound like a sure thing to me at all :lol:

Anyway, I am sure they'll ask him on Wednesday after he plays. They should've asked him when he gave his press conference the other day, but ah well.

#23 ·
Dude I checked his site once really before tonight. John and Ted said that thing about his new coach and I wanted to figure out if there has been a statement. I don't love or hate Roddick per se. I do like seeing him lose though.

#30 ·
Great thing for A-Rod.

#31 ·
Solid troll attempt with this thread.

Cyrus, there's a Roddick forum for these discussions, if you had gone there you would know that Andy did not fire John he's just not with him at the Open, (II) PMac is just working with Andy at the Open before Andy gets something more permanent.

#33 ·
I just repeated what was said on TV. Why everything looks trollish to you? I just heard it on TV and thought I'd share it. Jeez!

#32 ·
Sorry to ask what is an idiotic question, but even though PMac is not Andy's permanent coach it got me thinking. Can someone be a DC coach and also be a permanent coach of one of the Davis Cup team members? I know that Wilander has worked as a coach while also serving as Sweden's DC coach but his permanent gigs were not for Swedish DC players.

#40 ·
ESPN.com published an article, again reiterated that this arrangement with PMac is not permanent, and that they hope to have a permanent coach by the end of the year.

#42 ·
But what about John Roddick? He seems he is totally out of the picture. Maybe he is pissed? Did Roddick asked Doug to call John and dismiss him like he did with Brad?

#55 ·
Pretty much. It's basically Ted Robinson, fresh off a plane from Beijing, repeating rumors and half truths, and John McEnroe, who demonstrated today that he has no clue what the foot fault rule is, being completely surprised that his own brother is working with Andy. Apparently the McEnroe brothers dont talk regularly and the older doesn't even read headlines before he goes on the air. It was one flip comment that cyrusking (who hates Andy or has some other type of fascination with him) decided to earn some v-cash with.

#54 ·
Sort of. Andy's not working with John anymore - it seems. John is definitely not in NY, we know that is true. Andy is definitely working with PMac on a VERY temporary basis during the USO. That is fact - USA network even showed him overseeing his hit today with his trainer doug. Greg Garber from ESPN says the Roddick Camp wants to have a "new coach" in place by the end of the season. That is all. as for the drama, there's the fairytale ;)

#56 ·
McEnroe looked he was really nervous. I mean I am not even sure the guy can coach. Davis cup results have been OK, but I am not sure he is up for coaching a top player

#63 ·
I guess they didn't bother changing the title. Maybe Andy Roddick Foundation is a whole new player? or Maybe Roddick is changing his name. But who cares. I personally think McEnroe can't coach. He just looks like he has no clue all the time.

#67 ·
Sorry to disappoint you cyrusking, looks like no real drama after all *patpat*

In the market
Andy Roddick's brother John will no longer coach him, and the top-ranked U.S. player will look to hire another full-time mentor this fall, according to his agent, Ken Meyerson, who called the parting of the ways "a normal, healthy development. … John's been traveling for 3½ years. He has an academy in San Antonio. He has a life. There were issues after a couple of matches, but there's no animosity.'' Roddick will work with U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe through the Davis Cup semifinals late next month, then assess who's available in the coaching ranks and possibly have a trial run during the indoor season. But Meyerson said he'll urge his client not to rush. "Andy's at a critical juncture of his career, and I don't think he should be piecemealing it,'' he said. "I want him to believe he can win these big events. It's a little trickier now, because he's older, and the old 'you can do it' speech doesn't work anymore.'' Roddick has benefited from the counsel of Tarik Benhabiles, Brad Gilbert and most recently, Jimmy Connors, with whom he split amicably earlier this year. John Roddick is in New York but has not been present at his brother's practice sessions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/notebook?page=notebook/tennis08262008

#69 ·
See, I told you they would do a statement.

I remember early on when John was named to the position, there were questions about his academy and what the travel would do to him. He invested a lot of money in that academy and it was just beginning to take off when he started to coach Andy full time. I think he was always supposed to be a temporary solution, he just stayed on longer in the end.

PMac is a good temp (and believe me, I know temp work!), but he is not the long term solution that Andy needs. That would be someone with the intials 'Dr.' before his name. ;)

#79 ·
Fantastic, now that it's here it can be locked. Bye thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.