Mens Tennis Forums banner

Starting off 2011 Down Under

22K views 193 replies 31 participants last post by  OnyxRose 
#1 ·
Well it's that time again. Andy's in Brisbane practicing and says it's the first time since last May that he's felt 100% healthy...

#100 ·
Just b/c the opponent plays to his backhand doesn't mean Andy needs to slice 99.9% of them. Sure it's good to win but he's not doing anything that will prepare him for later rounds. He was getting out-winnered two to one by IGOR KUNITSYN. I mean come on

#102 ·
Well, the great Federer had to play 5 sets to win vs chicken legs Gilles Simon, so what's wrong with that picture. Andy won in straight sets. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.......Andy must do something right......haha

#104 ·
Simon is not Kunitsyn. If Gilles played to his potential, he was always going to give Roger fits as he has in the past. He's only ranked where he is because of his injury.

I was only kidding with the bh stuff but you don't see a problem with how Andy is playing? Even after Brisbane, where he was cruising against the lower ranked players but got destroyed by Soderling? I like your optimism but he's pretty much getting called out by everyone and everyone knows it's only a matter of time before he gets destroyed, if he doesn't step up and play more aggressively. It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

#103 ·
No, he was lucky to have a much easier opponent. Andy was seriously lucky not to lose the first set last night.

#105 ·
He was in the final in Brisbane but he lost to #5 then and now #4......logic here. You prefer to listen to the has been and frustrated commentators instead of rejoicing when Andy wins. Andy is so lucky to have you as a fan, one who believes in him.

#106 ·
This AO reminds me of AO 2008. Than Andy was playing super passively again, and the first in-form player took him out (Kohlshreiber).

It is not that he lost to Soderling, it is the way he lost. He was completley destroyed. To just push the ball back in play in not enough against top players. And I don't think Andy in 250 event final is something to really cheer about. Well, c'mon, this is a normal thing. And he is way better than that. If he was not, me and other fans here would have not been so frustrated by his performances.

#108 ·
While the match was utter garbage, lucky is not the word in the first set...he was hitting his forehand much better and more aggresively in the third set. He just seemed flat from the get go and then the sun came out and he seemed to pick up momentum. As a side note..Kunitsyn took Andy to 4 sets at Wimbledon in the second round in 2009 and we all know what went on to happen there.

What pisses me off is that he knows what he needs to do to play agressively and he CAN do it when he wants to he's just cool with coasting along which does not make any sense because it doesn't jive with his work ethic.

Regarding Roger...of course he was going to sneek it out in the 5th. But this is exactly what happened at Wimbledon just a round later and he ended up going out in the QF soooo....Andy meets him in the QF and takes him out preserving his "every odd year at the AO making it to the semis streak!"

#110 ·
Martina N is talking about Jankovic and how she's standing too far back and is playing too passively. To quote her she said that that kind of play "wins matches, but not slams." I think the exact thing applies to andy. sure, andymo, we can rejoice in every match andy wins. but Andy himself has made it inordinately clear he is not still on the tour just to win matches. he wants to win slams. he is NOT going to win a slam playing like this, I think that that's entirely clear and really not arguable at this point. If you really think Andy can win a slam playing this way I'm not sure what to tell you. But I would certainly like to see the evidence you have to back that up.

#115 ·
Yeah, I'm seeing/fearing Kohlschreiber all over again. Someone hold me.

Please Andy, make me wrong. Make me very wrong.

#116 ·
Yay happy to be wrong, sorry I didn't see any of the match.

#117 ·
Haase turned his ankle in like the 2nd game of the match and started swinging for the fences and most of them went in, including a couple of truly ridiculous shots that left andy going :eek:. Andy was passive as usual, usually on top of the MELBOURNE thing on the court. Haase hit 2 DFs in the TB to throw it again and then andy could take control as Haase started having more physical problems and was clearly tiring.

It was good of Andy to keep trying and he did start playing better as the match went on, but I think he's lucky haase was hurt. he won't get much further in the tournament if he keeps going this way. Even his DAD wrote him an email that he was being too far back.

#119 ·
i'm kind of glad i didn't see most of that match, i like how andy came back and eventually won (even though haase's injury played a decent part in it), but i watched most of the first set (close to the end of it) and i was just smh, even if it was just lucky shotmaking -- i was so happy to switch channels and watch the new bones instead. :lol:

i'm crossing my fingers for andy to at least get to roger, but i won't be surprised at all if stan takes him out.

#124 ·
Wawa struggles with big serves, his ROS of the fast ball isn't very good. I think he won't be able to get enough balls back if Andy serves well. I also think Stan isn't a shot maker, he'll try to rally with Andy...so I mean he's going to have alot of looks in every set.

This is all pointless anyways, if he wins he'll get Federer in the qrts. I don't think the surface is fast enough that he'll be able to use his serve to keep Federer at bay. GSM.

#126 ·
Saw the Wawa match and was duly impressed. If Andy plays passive and comes to the net at the wrong time as is his want lately then he will lose. Can a gal hope that his team scouts better?

#129 ·
You all are worried about little old "baby-mama leaving" Stan? I think Andy's going to be just fine...4 sets, one tie break. Andy will beat the Swiss Davis Cup team on his way to claiming his first AO title, you heard it here first!

My New Year's resolution was to be more optimistic in general...how am I doing?:)

#131 ·
HAHA Before I saw the epilogue there I was going to ask what you'd been drinking :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.