Mens Tennis Forums banner

Soderking Chat Thread vol.1

194K views 2K replies 174 participants last post by  Flavio_Sverige 
#1 ·
can some one help me out with this , i 'm trrrrrrrrrying to lookkkkkkkkk for this guy's pics.

#1,597 ·
Never leave Söderking :angel:

Even though he made an early exit in Chennai today (lost against Ginepri 4-6, 5-7.. didn´t really get his game to work like in Abu Dhabi). He will get some new energy soon and hopefully perform great at Australian Open (he told Eurosport.se that he might play in Kooyong). Well, anyway. He can do it!

I think 2010 is going to be a great tennis-year :clap2:

#1,598 ·
From Answermyquestionjerk.se. January 6, 2010 by magnus (my own translation, as swedish native speaker!):

"INDIA DOES NOT SEEM TO BE FOR ME"

"Nope, been here 3 times as a player and 1 time as coach and still hardly won 1 match!! To return to the game yesterday, I do not agree that Robin performs a catastrophic match. Sure I have seen him play better but TENNISWISE it was really not that bad in my opinion. Call me weird but this is a fact. You can't order a win! Genepri makes a very good performance the way I see it and for that we should raise our hats. He has been in the top 20s and in semifinals on this surface at US Open. The number of easy mistakes that he does are few and he reaches basically everything. The key game is 4-2 in second set where Robin creates 3 good smash-opportunities but burns all 3 of them! 5-2 there instead and we would most likely had a 3rd set.
Now we can break down, analyze and move on! The year is long. Lots of tennis to play and great challenges around the corner!"

---

#1,599 ·
From Answermyquestionjerk.se. January 6, 2010 by magnus (my own translation, as swedish native speaker!):

"INDIA DOES NOT SEEM TO BE FOR ME"

---
i told him he should have come back to Brisbane, not gone to Chennai. Maybe next year :lol:

Thanks for the translation!

#1,600 ·
Hi folks, just jumped in to say 'hello', again. :wavey:
Hope you don't mind me being critical at times, it's just me. To ALL the players I happen to like. :angel:

Just wanted to let you know that I don't think that Robin's loss at Chennai is in any way a 'big deal'.

The AO, that's where it counts, not at the Mickey Mouses before. So, stay positive, all of you! :)

Tim, where are you? I miss you! :hug:

#1,601 · (Edited)
Hi folks, just jumped in to say 'hello', again. :wavey:
Hope you don't mind me being critical at times, it's just me. To ALL the players I happen to like. :angel:
Hi Karin,

This is the Soderking Forum. Anyone is allowed to express any opinion they want to express. :lol: We're all scattered all over the place in terms of how we feel about Robin and other players. :p Most of us are pretty tough on Robin too, although it is tough love.

Just wanted to let you know that I don't think that Robin's loss at Chennai is in any way a 'big deal'.
It hurt big time though. :sad: I know logically we all were demanding that he get rest and that an ATP 250 is a dime a dozen when looking at the season points as a whole. So it will be really insignificant in hindsight. But since he was the #1 seed and this was his first real tourney, it felt awful at the time. :sobbing: Dana said she was "shocked". I think that was proper feeling I had after the loss.

The AO, that's where it counts, not at the Mickey Mouses before. So, stay positive, all of you! :)
Blu came in yesterday and gave me the lift I needed to not feel so upset. It also dawned on me how the circumstances of his crowded schedule and all the promotional work he had to do for this tourney as the "poster boy" for it is a formula that is going to exhaust him and bring out his worst tennis.

Tim, where are you? I miss you! :hug:
I've been in Nole chat quite a bit and saw you posting once there about finding your missing cat. But I haven't seen you much online, not even in the Prog Rock thread, although I'm looking now and see that you have updated it. :hug: I have nothing meaningful to add to the current discussion. I don't know Porcupine Tree that well yet. But I'm pretty easy to find in here.

Heads up! I'm requesting my nick be changed to one that is less controversial. I will appear as "Nolby" if it is approved reflecting Nole and Nalby. :cat::rocker2:

#1,603 ·
From India to Australia
January 7, 2010 by magnus (translated from answermyquestionjerk.se):

No, Chennai was not what we hoped for. But that´s the way it is within sports and maybe that´s the glory of it all in a way.. You never know what is going to happen and the competition is tough! A medioker day at work and it is "bye bye". From the World No 1 to fiasco (as some newspaper wrote) over one night.
Well, two physical training sessions the day after in an incredibly damp gym in India. I have never sweated so much in my entire life when I stepped down from the treadmill… My brother (who is with us this trip) laughed out loud..
Half an hour before midnight was the flight to Melbourne and we arrived the day after at 8.30 pm local time. I slept almost the entire flight so it did not really feel like evening when we got there...
About the next few days, we have been discussing back and forth. Weigh the pros and cons.. and concluded to play Kooyong Classic next week in Melbourne. If feels good I must say. Until then there will be NO rest if that is what you think.. hehe

- - - -

#1,604 ·
Report from Melbourne
January 9, 2010 by magnus norman (my own translation from answermyquestionjerk.se, as Swedish native speaker):

Finished with the first training session here in Melbourne. Since we arrived after a long trip from India, we started a bit careful. Robin played 2 hours with yours truly (me that is) in Kooyong. It was rather windy and very varm, which made it kind of hard to play. The surface here is also much faster than in Chennai where it was exremely weird. High bounce sometimes and rather quick bounce sometimes - the timing was hard to find. Nice to be back at a normal surface! The good form is not there yet, but that´s not so strange! We know the deal and it is just about taking advantage of the training session we have in front of us. In the afternoon we did one of Robins physical sessions with focus on leg strength.

In "leg dips" we did 3 sets with 4-5 repetitions at 90 kilos (down to 90 degrees angle). And also we did some jumps and finished with 20 minutes fitness training. 1,5 hours in total. Today saturday is waking up on the schedule before breakfast and then tennis 12-1 pm and 4-6 pm with Djokovic before VO2 max in the evening.
*** 3 pages of tennis is opening every sports insertion here every day! Today I read an article about Berhard Tomic and is just amazed how this is blown out of proportion to absurd levels! - “I know i will be number one. Its just a matter of when and where” are maybe not quotes I would have been very pleased with to read if I had been the coach of that guy... Sure, you should believe in yourself but there are limits. Maybe I am a little damaged by the Swedish mentality too. Who knows!
*** For a week now I have been reading the following headline from the tournament in Doha “Federer and Nadal heading for showdown in Doha finals”… And so the fairy tale ends.. 4-6 4-6 in the back for Roger against Davydenko.
Talk to you later!
Magnus

- - - - -
:wavey:

#1,607 ·
Update 2 from Melbourne
January 10, 2010 by magnus norman (my own translation from answermyquestionjerk.se, as a Swedish native speaker):

"2 nice days of training for Robin are done since the last time I wrote. 4 sessions with tennis were squeezed in as well as 2 fitness training sessions. Since the end of last season was so extremely hectic and the "recharging" for this season is very short, I value these days enormously! Very valuable for the whole season. Game play against Djokovic yesterday at Rod Laver arena and two sessions with Haas and Bolelli today in the heat. Difficult conditions here, so it feels good to be here in time. The tennis balls are hard!
Nice to see Todd Martin let go of last year's folders and work actively with Nole on the court! That´s where he can make a difference, I promise you!
Tomorrow double shifts again before one day rest on Tuesday. Kooyong starts Wednesday!
*** Today I finished m 14th training session since the 25th of December. Getting a little better and the Christmas weight is fading away. Marathon workout has started again!

Later!"

- - - -

#1,608 ·
January 11, 2010 by magnus norman (my own translation from Answermyquestionjerk.se)

"Update 3 Melbourne and DC tickets released!

So far the days here in Melbourne have gone by in a vast pace. We have been working 12 hours a day and that´s when I enjoy myself the most. To spend time together, work on details in the game, with physical training, mental parts etc. That´s when the efforts produce results. And what I consider as great. There is unfortunately no other way than the hard way if you want to be placed at the top of the ranking. One cancelled session here and there DOES NOT exist in my world.
Yesterday, training with Rainer Shuttler. Difficult conditions since it was over 40 degrees and a little windy.
Today it´s the press conference for the tournament out in Kooyong set to be played Wednesday-Saturday this week.

Tickets to this years tennis match in Sweden 2010 are now released! Sweden-Argentina at the Royal Tennis Hall! I bought my tickets really easy here (http://dc.ebiljett.nu/). I recommend you do the same! The Royal Tennis Hall should be boiling!!

See you later!

- - - -

#1,609 ·
January 11, 2010 by magnus norman (my own translation from Answermyquestionjerk.se)

"Update 3 Melbourne and DC tickets released!

So far the days here in Melbourne have gone by in a vast pace. We have been working 12 hours a day and that´s when I enjoy myself the most. To spend time together, work on details in the game, with physical training, mental parts etc. That´s when the efforts produce results. And what I consider as great. There is unfortunately no other way than the hard way if you want to be placed at the top of the ranking. One cancelled session here and there DOES NOT exist in my world.
Yesterday, training with Rainer Shuttler. Difficult conditions since it was over 40 degrees and a little windy.
Today it´s the press conference for the tournament out in Kooyong set to be played Wednesday-Saturday this week.

Tickets to this years tennis match in Sweden 2010 are now released! Sweden-Argentina at the Royal Tennis Hall! I bought my tickets really easy here (http://dc.ebiljett.nu/). I recommend you do the same! The Royal Tennis Hall should be boiling!!

See you later!

- - - -

Thanks again, Mediarat! Please keep providing these translations of the Magnus blog, as they are invaluable and I am grateful to read them every time you post them. :D

#1,610 ·
Hi there, all Söderling fans! Continuing to translate the blog from Magnus Norman, so not just the Swedish people kan follow their schedule, thoughts and "Nors" reflections as Robins coach.
Today is was a short blog entry, good for me because I have lots of work to do for Davis Cup!

----------------
January 12, 2010 by magnus norman:
Update 4 Melbourne
Now the draw has been published. Robin is facing Tsonga in his first match, which will be the 4th match (in Order of Play) after 11 a.m on Wednesday. Local time that is.

Robin doing interval training by the Yarra River!

http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/files/2010/01/img_0078.jpg

http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/files/2010/01/img_0080.jpg

Some classical pictures at Kooyong

------------------

#1,611 ·
January 13, 2010 by magnus norman (translated from answermyquestionjerk.se)
Update 5 Melbourne

Hard to play in the wind today against Tsonga. 1st set was okay, even though the game was rather "jerky" in the wind. 0-7 in the tiebreak and the air just went out of him in the 2nd set. He´s not in 100% shape yet and therefore it feels good that we get the chance to go out again tomorrow & try to get one step closer! 3rd match against Ljubicic tomorrow.
*** 10 km running yesterday for me (in 52 minutes..) Well, not an impressive time, but then consider the heat and the fact that I have just started training... Sure, it´s still a bit left if I should run the marathon.
*** Sofia (Arvidsson) is starting in the Qualies tomorrow. Many good luck wishes to the whole team!

----------

#1,612 ·
Here is the latest entry from Magnus Norman's blog:

Update 6 Melbourne
January 14, 2010 by magnus

Not a good day today either. Started very promising with a good pre-exercise this morning at Albert Reseve but then nothing went Robin's way. Again, strong winds today and it´s hard to get any rhythm in the game.. but of course it´s the same for both players. Robin had a break-through in the serve at 2-1 and 3-2, but couldn´t manage to retain it. Right now it´s still unsure about the arm as well and therefore I can´t say much more than we are of course doing everything in our power to make it as good as possible!
Keep all your fingers crossed!
- - -

#1,613 ·
Draw.
Too tough I think. Granollers in 1rt round.
John Mac's hand were not too lucky.

TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried FRA [10]
STAKHOVSKY, Sergiy UKR
FOGNINI, Fabio ITA
DENT, Taylor USA
HARRISON, Ryan USA (W)
TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB
GREUL, Simon GER
HAAS, Tommy GER [18]
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP [26]
QUALIFIER (Q)
BECKER, Benjamin GER
QUALIFIER (Q)
FALLA, Alejandro COL
DANIEL, Marcos BRA
GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP
SODERLING, Robin SWE [8]

#1,614 ·
Draw.

Quote:
TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried FRA [10]
STAKHOVSKY, Sergiy UKR
FOGNINI, Fabio ITA
DENT, Taylor USA
HARRISON, Ryan USA (W)
TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB
GREUL, Simon GER
HAAS, Tommy GER [18]
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP [26]
QUALIFIER (Q)
BECKER, Benjamin GER
QUALIFIER (Q)
FALLA, Alejandro COL
DANIEL, Marcos BRA
GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP
SODERLING, Robin SWE [8]
Too tough I think. Granollers in 1rt round.
John Mac's hand were not too lucky.
He has handled Granollers pretty well in the past, Dana. If he was playing like he was
in the WTFs, I'd feel pretty confident and feel he had a decent draw. The four match
losing streak and the elbow tendinitis acting up have completely dried up my confidence,
however. I'd settle for a couple of wins over Granola and Falla right now.

Anyway, here is his head to head with Granollers. The best
possibility is that Robin gets his confidence back with a couple of match wins before he faces
an Almagro. I think that is what is lacking right now more than anything.

I don't even want to think about a possible Tsonga match-up right now in R16 right now. We'll cross
that bridge if we come to it. ;) I hope, in many respects, we don't have to watch that match-up again. :lol:
I'll root for either one of them of they play someone else in R16.

#1,616 ·
If his elbow or shoulder had been okey I'd say that it's a pretty good draw, but now - not so good. Well, it could be worse than Granollers but he is kind of good, we saw that in Wimbledon where it went to four sets. So it'll be exciting to see how it goes, a friend told me that he will play on Tuesday, so he has some more time to rest. Good luck Robin!

#1,617 ·
One great sign I just noticed:

The General Messages (GM) area of MTF has a poll on the Top eight seed most likely
to fail and Robin is the overwhelming vote leader in this poll. Since I've noticed MTF polls
in GM are ALWAYS incorrect, there couldn't be a better sign that he will do better than expected. :lol:

#1,618 ·
For those who are interested (translated from Swedish media):
- - - -

- Robin was training this morning and it felt much better than yesterday, so no worries, says his coach Magnus Norman to SportExpressen.se.
Considering the match against Ljubicic, where Robin had to retire due to pain:
- I felt that I did not want to take any chances, says the Swedish World No 8, who after treatment is hoping to be back on track and able to hit with full force as usual.

Söderling - who is at the same side of the draw as World No 1 Roger Federer - is facing Marcel Granollers (from Spain) in the 1st round. A tennis player that Robin has beaten the 3 times they have met during 2009!

- - - -

GO ROBIN! WE STILL BELIEVE IN YOU! :woohoo:

#1,619 ·
Latest entry from Robins coach Magnus - at answermyquestionjerk.se (my own translation as Swedish native speaker):
- - -

January 17, 2010 by magnus norman
Update 7 Melbourne

The weekend before a Grand Slam is here. Crowded with people in all areas such as the locker rooms, food cafeteria, gym and transportation. I am always amazed and wondering what all the people (that are here) actually do. Anyway, it´s great that the first Grand Slam of the year is starting (even though it´s 2 months to soon). However, I look at the week with confidence!
Good training sessions for us these last 2 days as well. Starting to "feel" the balls at the racket and they are staying a little longer at the strings. A little more speed in the feet as well. We are now downsizing the phsyio training and starting to conserve power for the tournament. Tough draw in the 1st roung. Grannollers is dangerous. Played well in Chennai where he challenged Cilic and played even with Robin in Wimbledon for example, last year. So, it´s all about going out there in the 1st round and do the hard work!!
*** Very good performance by Sofia Arvidsson to qualify to the main tournament yesterday, even though it was not her best tennis. Really strong!
*** The top players were entertaining at Rod Laver arena today in benefit of the Haiti-victims (from the earth-quake). Great initiative!

Talk to you later!

- - -

#1,621 ·
:awww::awww::awww:

#1,623 ·
I had no big hopes of him going deep here, but it would have been nice to grab his first official win of the year here today. Oh well, it just wasn't meant to be...

Take a long rest and come back strong, Robin. Now is a good time to do whatever precautions there are to sort out the issues with his arm, at least as good as they can be taken care of. :wavey:

#1,624 ·
I've got nothing to say. He blew a 7-5, 6-2, 3-1 lead....nightmare...

#1,625 ·
nightmare is right tim.... i thought i was going to cry. im here in melbourne till sunday cos i thought he'd be here until then :(
i still cant believe it.. magnus looked SO disappointed. he said something about "we have to change something" when i asked him about next year.
ill put some photos up when im back home -internet is too slow here.

#1,626 ·
:sad:
nightmare is right tim.... i thought i was going to cry. im here in melbourne till sunday cos i thought he'd be here until then :(
i still cant believe it.. magnus looked SO disappointed. he said something about "we have to change something" when i asked him about next year.
ill put some photos up when im back home -internet is too slow here.
:hug: to all Soda fans. And I thought being a Nalby fan was tough! I haven't experienced a loss that soul crushing since Nalby blew a 2 set lead to Chardy in the French Open 2nd round 2008 and lost in 5 sets before Chardy was even a known name on tour. Same empty feeling inside. He should've been able to finish it. He was even up a break in the third. What else can you say? :sad: I want to wipe that one out of memory as soon as possible. "Disappointing" is an understatement despite my knowledge of his physical problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.