Mens Tennis Forums banner

Halle QF: Federer def. Raonic 6-7 6-4 7-6

8K views 96 replies 60 participants last post by  Hingisova 
#1 ·
#53 ·
Raonic's serve is certainly a huge weapon which makes him dangerous on grass but he doesn't have a lot else to back it up. Only winning 17% on 2nd serve is proof of that. Even when Fed dropped the 1st set, you never thought he was in any danger of losing the match.

I'm sure most players will want to avoid him at Wimbledon because of his serve but you also have to assume a good player who can get a read on it and expose his poor movement will be able to handle him.

As much as I want the young players to do well, it's really hard to root for Raonic. He has a horrible game and he's boring to watch.

#57 ·
Game went exactly as predicted. Raonic had a monster serve and it still wasn't enough. It's enough for one set, no more. That said, his serving in the 3rd set, up to the TB was absolutely flawless, Fed could barely get a point off Raonic's serve, but you can't beat a guy like Fed with nothing but serves.

#58 · (Edited)
Fed breaks a 4 tie-break lost streak, which is very important before Wimbledon because tie-breaks often go by streaks and very seldom does he have such bad tie-break streaks.

His game was encouraging even though the serve was not as great as the score lets people think.
I haven't seen him play that well in Halle for several years.

Before grass season, I was less optimistic about Raonic's abilities on grass than many people : I saw today what I thought, that he's more comfortable with high balls from the baseline than with low balls.

That said his serve is impressive and in Wimbledon second week the bounce will be better for him.
Better not draw him in R16 :unsure:

#62 ·
Fed breaks a 4 tie-break lost streak, which is very important before Wimbledon because tie-breaks often go by streaks and very seldom does he have such bad tie-break streaks.

Also wins his first tie-break against Raonic after 2 tie-breaks lost.

His game was encouraging even though the serve was not as great as the score lets people think.
I haven't seen him play that well in Halle for several years.

Before grass season, I was less optimistic about Raonic's abilities on grass than many people : I saw today what I thought, that he's more comfortable with high balls from the baseline than with low balls.

That said his serve is impressive and in Wimbledon second week the bounce will be better for him.
Better not draw him in R16 :unsure:
Fail!

#63 ·
Raonic didn't have a single break point.

Federer only had break points in one game, the one where he broke.

As close to an all-serve festival as it gets. Raonic's poor returning and ground game, even more in comparison to Federer's, made the difference. You can't beat a top player by only getting 17% of points off second serve returns, it's just not possible.

#92 ·
:yeah: one of the few players i don't mind Roger losing to tho he hasn't yet so far.... 4 single-handers in the semis, what a treat!!

#67 ·
Fed is indeed very good. But beating a player with only one big weapon is hardly evidence of his greatness. Didn't Hewitt do the same in Australia, albeit in slower conditions?

Hopefully Raonic will be a top player one day, but that day hasn't arrived yet. His serve always makes him a threat, but you can't be one of the world's best with just that, he still needs to iron out his return and ground game.

#70 ·
THis is true grass.Wimbly courts are just shit.

The UK organizers are stupid,they slowed down the surface while their only player Murray struggle to winning here.

#72 ·

#74 ·
Reminds me when Roger detroned Pete at Wimbledon. Definitely Milos is the player that can take his succession.

#82 ·
always very closed to victory, but never won it :tape:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.